Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - SMS Expansion port concern

Reply to topic
SMS Expansion port concern
Post Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:20 pm
I am loking at the edge connector in the expansion port of my Japanese Master System model MK-2000 and it looks like it is coated on some layer of lacquer or varnish which looks like it may stop the connections from working. I have no use for it right now but hope to use it soon. Is this normal? Does it need to be removed? As you can see in attached photo the contacts are very dark coloured too which I presumed is caused by this apparent layer
DSCN0448.JPG (182.45 KB)
DSCN0448.JPG
DSCN0449.JPG (203.96 KB)
DSCN0449.JPG
DSCN0450.JPG (128.5 KB)
DSCN0450.JPG

Post Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:19 pm
The dark pins are carbon coated. It helps with conductivity and is a cheap alternative to silver or gold plated pins, This is a common manufacturing technique for later versions of consoles sega would produce. The "Layer of Lacquer" is most likely excess of a solder mask. It doesnt look like it covers any pins significantly enough to cause issues.
Post Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:54 pm
IllusionOfMana wrote
The dark pins are carbon coated. It helps with conductivity and is a cheap alternative to silver or gold plated pins, This is a common manufacturing technique for later versions of consoles sega would produce. The "Layer of Lacquer" is most likely excess of a solder mask. It doesnt look like it covers any pins significantly enough to cause issues.

Great thanks. I wiil be able to test it soon so shall reply then. Don't think I have ever seen carbon pins before, learn something every day!
Post Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:57 pm
Yeah its not too common to see on things. I use to fix Megadrives and later revisions of the Core System 2 had them for its expansion slot... In fact i think even my Master System model 1 has carbon coated pins on its expansion slot too.

UPDATE: yes my master system does have carbon coated pins
Post Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:54 am
Interesting, would that not be highly susceptible to wear?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:10 am
Probably, but these connectors are designed to be used incredibly rarely.
Post Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:01 am
OP here. I received a Gender Adapter today from the guy that sells them from this forum and it does indeed work fine.I have one game that doesnt work on it though:- Rastan PAL cart just gives a black screen. A shame because this is a game with FM sound :( Apparently this is one of the games that is incompatible according to the Gender Adapter main thread. Oh well one out of ten aint bad
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:20 pm
Yes it's a shame about Rastan.
One possibility would be to use a Master Everdrive with a modded ROM of the game, plugged into the gender adapter.

Some people also made JP>Western adapters that plug in the front slot, in the case of Rastan I think it should fix it.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!