SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - New Monster World remake announced

Reply to topic
New Monster World remake announced
Post Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:47 am
Last edited by Logbomber on Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:09 am; edited 5 times in total
Edit: Wonder Boy - Asha in Monster World announced.
https://www.smspower.org/forums/17637-NewMonsterWorldRemakeAnnounced#111910

A new Monster World game has been announced by Ryuichi Nishizawa at Devcom. He also retweeted this article:

https://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1202024.html

Finally, as a surprise, Ryuichi Nishizawa himself announced that he was preparing a new “Monster World” series separately from this one. It is a reboot work that goes beyond mere transplantation and remake, and the original author may have been inspired by the movement of remake and reboot overseas one after another. There will be further reports during this month. Expectation is high for fans of the series.

It's a remake, see my post further down:
http://www.smspower.org/forums/17637-NewMonsterWorldRemakeAnnounced#107576
Post Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:28 pm
Wow, another game? That´s fantastic, thanks for sharing Logbomber!
Post Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:42 am
It seems Ryuichi Nishizawa is going to be more involved in developing this one. I can't wait to find out more!!
Post Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:54 am
I have mixed feelings on this. Primarily because it's exactly what I've been working on for the last 2 years! And I'd been intending to approach Ryu and LAT to discuss a potential license. Now I'm not sure what may happen. I guess in the end the only thing that matters to me is the creation of new art based on this fantastic franchise!
Post Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:32 am
Immo wrote
I have mixed feelings on this. Primarily because it's exactly what I've been working on for the last 2 years! And I'd been intending to approach Ryu and LAT to discuss a potential license. Now I'm not sure what may happen. I guess in the end the only thing that matters to me is the creation of new art based on this fantastic franchise!

Keep in mind that working on a project you don´t have a license for, it´s kind of ´illegal´ (sorry if the word sounds a bit rough), even if you love the franchise without having bad goals in mind. You have to reckon that a situation like this appears. It´s like people working on Alex Kidd games they don´t have a green light for. You can make fan games, but never expect more unless you ask for the licence before you start working on your project.
Post Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:36 pm
Gordman wrote
Keep in mind that working on a project you don´t have a license for, it´s kind of ´illegal´

well, I would say it isn't, unless you're distributing that.
Post Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:27 pm
sverx wrote
Gordman wrote
Keep in mind that working on a project you don´t have a license for, it´s kind of ´illegal´

well, I would say it isn't, unless you're distributing that.

Which is the usual goal in the end (money making or not), so..^^
Post Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:02 pm
Last edited by IllusionOfMana on Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
yeah, its not per say illegal. A rights holder(s) do maintain the ability to protect their IP but some just dont care when it comes to things like free fan projects. Some will even hire individuals who show exceptional skill in it. IMO, Its always worth a shot to see what the IP owners think and shoot them an email or msg. The worst you'll get is a "please stop" and the best youll get is probably a job lol. As long as youre not distributing anything based on an IP that doesnt belong to you for monetary gain then its really not going to kill you lol. There are a ton of huge grey areas such as profiting for effort put into it not for the likeness of the IP itself but its best to avoid all of that all together.
Post Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:08 am
As an example, the guys doing the fan Alex Kidd remake are having conversations with Sega regarding the game....
Post Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:45 am
It's definitely about being a fan for me, and if I can't get some kind of official approval then my project will never be released. I'd never sabotage the possibility of a legal release by trying to make money at any stage. I won't even try crowdfunding :)

As Ryuichi Nishizawa is planning his own official reboot then there's no point keeping my fan project under wraps any longer. Here are some screenshots from my re-imagining of Wonder Boy In Monster Land, a game I call "Monsterland Meka" monsterlandmeka.com

Post Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:44 pm
It actually looks pretty nice!
Post Posted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:44 am
Last edited by Logbomber on Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
I found the video of the Monster Boy panel at Devcom and it turns out not to be a sequel but a remake, the article was misleading.

Here is the video, the info is right at the end:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/472467509?collection=bmRgPHxjvhUHiw

Here is what the translator for Ryuichi Nishizawa says:
So now we have the opportunity to make more sequel of the new game.

So not now the sequel is not open for the information but maybe after some point he can bring some more news for the sequel.

So actually it's quite hard to remake what I made once, it's quite hard to do that.

Phillip Doschl (Co-founder of FDG Entertainment):
Just to be clear it's a not a sequel it's a remake.

Translator:
Sorry it's a remake. It's not a port it's a remake.

It would be great if a Japanese speaker could translate it more accurately.

It's interesting that Phillip Doschl from FDG Entertainment seems to know something about it. He prompts Ryuichi Nishizawa to say something about it initially and then he corrects the translator on the sequel issue. I wonder if FDG is involved, probably as publisher.

Also note Ryuichi Nishizawa says that it's hard to remake a previous game that he made. He didn't work on Wonder Boy in Monster World (Monster World III), so that means the remake is likely to be either Wonder Boy in Monster Land or Monster World IV.
Post Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:46 pm
But the problem is: Ryu will create a remake of a Wonder Boy / Monster World game having free access of using the Wonder Boy / Monster World trademark from Sega, plus his old intelectual proprieties from LAT Corpotation? Or he will create a remake by creating an all-new original title?
Post Posted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:17 pm
I think that before Westone went bankrupt Ryuichi Nishizawa made some sort of arrangement with LAT Corp so that he could keep control of the series IP. So it will have LAT Corp licensing at the very least. Will it have the 'Wonder Boy' and/or 'Monster World' title? Who knows, but I'm looking forward to finding out more ^_^
Post Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:47 am
Your project looks cool Immo! Will have to add it to the 'the list' lol.

And wow.. a possible official remake. God I hope it's Wonderboy in Monster Land
Post Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:07 am
Any more news on this? I've not seen anything..
Post Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:53 pm
Nothing, but Ryuichi Nishizawa has been quiet on Twitter for the past few months so perhaps he is very busy with something he can't share news about yet.
Post Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:54 pm
Last edited by Logbomber on Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Finally this has been announced. For a while there I was worried it had been cancelled.

Wonder Boy - Asha in Monster World is being developed by STUDIOARTDINK alongside ININ Games, with members of the original Wonder Boy creative team at the helm. That includes series creator Ryuichi Nishizawa (who has returned to lead and direct this new game), original composer Shinichi Sakamoto (who will be producing the game’s sounds, this time around), character designer Maki Ōzora, and creative manager Takanori Kurihara.

Very excited to see the original team behind the wheel again.

https://www.ign.com/articles/wonder-boy-asha-in-monster-world-announced-led-by-s...

https://wonderboy.inin.games/

https://twitter.com/ININ_Games/status/1297965532117970950
EgNMmPMWAAAQahb.jpg (217.29 KB)
EgNMmPMWAAAQahb.jpg

Post Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:18 am
This is great news! Really looking forward to this game. Just hope it will be as good as the Dragon's Trap remake and Monster Boy in the Cursed Kingdom which was fantastic.

The title is a little self-contradictory though as Asha is not a boy ... Perhaps it will be possible to play as either Asha or Eusha, which was what they originally intended when making MWIV.
Post Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:21 pm
tommy1983 wrote
The title is a little self-contradictory though as Asha is not a boy ... Perhaps it will be possible to play as either Asha or Eusha, which was what they originally intended when making MWIV.

Originally the title of the game was "Wonder Boy Universe: Asha in Monster World" which is more correct but is a bit of a mouthful. Reminds me of "Wonder Boy V: Monster World III"

https://www.resetera.com/threads/wonder-boy-universe-asha-in-monster-world-emerg...
Post Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:34 pm
My 8-year-old daughter and I just recently played through Monster World IV on the Genesis Mini. So we are both super excited that this is in the works!
Post Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:13 am
Cool to see another game coming, WMIMW was one of my favorite SMS games, though I didn't realize at the time how gutted it was compared to the original (and far superior) Mega Drive version.

The title is awful though, it's muddled and awkward trying to force "Wonder Boy" in there. "Wonder Girl In Monster World" would be a much tidier and more logical choice. Or even "Asha In Monster World" since the Monster World brand was quite established on it's own.

Unless Shion is added as an alternate player character I don't think it fits to use "Wonder Boy" in the title.
Post Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:00 am
I'm still looking forward to playing it but I fear this won't be well received:

Post Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:02 am
I prefer the original than this
Post Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:27 am
When a remake turns out to be a demake.
Post Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:26 pm
I really hope they take the community response to heart: this is a game we want, but not in this style. Bring it back for further development and polish.
Post Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:04 pm
Last edited by Blake00 on Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total
cool! but also.. kinda damn lol.. I was hoping for a Wonder Boy 2 in Monster Land remake.. it was the first Wonder Boy game I played/owned and it began my love affair with the series. However Monster World 4 was cool so I wasn't too down, until I saw that trailer lol. Was like watching Woody moving around in Toy Story lol. Doesn't feel right at all. Can see like 95% of the video comments are negative so I hope they listen.

I remember the first trailer of Monster Boy was nothing compared to the final result (although it still looked better than this one lol) so there's hope they'll (despite being a different team) listen to all the feedback and make some serious improvements.

Man I wish someone would do a Monster Land remake.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:34 pm
Blake00 wrote
Man I wish someone would do a Monster Land remake.

I hope for that to :)
Post Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:15 am
Bock wrote
I hope for that to :)

Fan made or official, I don't even care, I'll take it! And I'll love it lol! To see those opening areas in a new way would be amazing. I have so much nostalgic love the first level, then the town and the cave in the second level. I've spent a large part of the last 30 years humming their tunes haha!

Speaking of which @Immo , I gotta say your Wonderboy fan game looks way better than this official one mate haha, I'm more looking forward to yours! ;)
Post Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:09 am
Blake00 wrote
Speaking of which @Immo , I gotta say your Wonderboy fan game looks way better than this official one mate haha, I'm more looking forward to yours! ;)

Thanks @Blake00 for the compliment but I'm not really sure about that haha ;) I can provide that nostalgia fix you're looking for though. The town and cave you remember so fondly are coming soon ;)

Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:00 pm
Immo wrote
Blake00 wrote

Thanks @Blake00 for the compliment but I'm not really sure about that haha ;) I can provide that nostalgia fix you're looking for though. The town and cave you remember so fondly are coming soon ;)

OH.. MY.. GOD.. that's unbelievable.. now I'm way more excited about your game over that official one haha!! I originally thought your game was completely original/new stuff, but now that I see you are actually remaking parts of my beloved Monsterland and expanding it with heaps of new stuff around the original stuff I'm even more excited about it!

Your remakes of the original WB2 songs that I was talking about above are beautiful! Your world building is stunning, I found myself pausing to stare at background elements as you've created entire 3D valleys in the background with hills mountains, trees, waterfalls, rivers etc that look so good I kinda wanna walk back there like it's a 3D open world haha! I love the foreground elements as they add immersion but don't get in the way of the central game area and gameplay (nothing would be more annoying than a tree blocking your view of a fight you're having or a difficult platform jump haha). Sounds are stunning. Attention to detail is stunning (I wonder if your remade WB2 bits have ALL the secret money stashes haha ;) ). Most animation and effects are stunning too. The whole thing is utterly gorgeous man!

Literally the only criticism I have is that Wonderboy himself looks/moves a bit robotic, ironically much like Asha in the new official game (except you have a legitimate fan game excuse, while they don't as some poor fool is paying them for that work haha). What adds to his strangeness is that he has a very 3D model look compared to the 2D animated cartoon snakes he's fighting, they look like they should be in 2 different games. But man.. everything else is just blew my mind.. it's so good. Thank you for sharing this. I've subbed you and will check out a whole lot more on your site when I get up tomorrow. :)
Post Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:55 am
God.. I just had to watch your videos again and drool over the awesomeness of your work. The world you've created is just beautiful and am just blown away by all the little things you've put in it.. so much attention to detail..

Might share this on a few retro groups I chat at!
Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:40 am
Thanks for all the kind words @Blake00, I really appreciate the feedback as I don't really hear it that often being such a niche hobby haha. I'd like to replace the player with hand drawn sprites but for now this 3d model > 2d sprite method is a shortcut to achieving 60fps animation.
Post Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:56 am
Immo wrote
Thanks for all the kind words @Blake00, I really appreciate the feedback as I don't really hear it that often being such a niche hobby haha. I'd like to replace the player with hand drawn sprites but for now this 3d model > 2d sprite method is a shortcut to achieving 60fps animation.

That's great to hear as I really like your 2D monster art, and your plan of rendering in 3D first to work out movement/animation etc before converting to 2D is a great idea!

I shared your latest video on a whole bunch of retro gaming groups. Got lots of likes and hearts. A few comments too although most were comments about the 3D wonderboy that were... not as diplomatic as mine lol but I made sure to tell them this was just early days of a fan project!

Keep up the great work man! :)
Post Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:26 am
BTW @Immo any chance you could add a follow/subscribe button to your blog so fans like me a can stalk.. err I mean follow your work?

https://monsterlandmeka.com/

Noticed you've built it using Wordpress tools so there should be an option in settings to add one somewhere. If there already is one somewhere on your page I can't for the life of me find it lol.

Oh and cheers for following my Wordpress blog! Hope I can return the favour!
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!