Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Power Strike II VGM pack should be in 50Hz speed (?)

Reply to topic
Power Strike II VGM pack should be in 50Hz speed (?)
Post Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:28 pm
TL;DR music seems to be ripped at 60Hz, running too fast, and the game only had a PAL/50Hz release

Hello my dudes, I hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes by opening a new thread about this but I didn't find a proper place for it. Also I registered an account just for this, so, moshi moshi !

Here's the deal, I was listening to the site's VGM Pack for Power Strike II SMS (sorry can't link it, spam detection doesn't let me) and the music struck me as really super fast, unnaturally so, since I have beat the game before at 50Hz. I just assumed it was one of those classic instances where the music was improperly ported to the PAL region, failing to adjust the speed of game. But I looked it up and the game weirdly enough, is an oddity wherein it's a Japanese game that only had a PAL release. So it would be fair to assume, lacking an NTSC release, the music is probably composed with the 50Hz speed in mind.
Now I get that I might just have a bias towards the 50Hz speed since that's how I played it, however I did blindly show the music in both speeds (50Hz and 60Hz) to some duderinos and all three of them reported that the 60Hz version sounds too frantic and they prefer the 50Hz one.
I attached at the bottom, the Stage 3 track files in both speeds, so feel free to compare and give your opinion if it's too fast or not.

However even if you guys agree that this should be adjusted to run at 50Hz, I have no clue how to edit the VGM files to accommodate for a speed change, so I can only plead one of you brave souls are able to do it.

Anyway love the site, been lurking for a long time. Cheers !
Power Strike II - 08 - Stage 3 60Hz.mp3 (1.17 MB)
This is the 60Hz speed in the VGM pack
Power Strike II - 08 - Stage 3 50Hz.mp3 (1.16 MB)
This is the speed I adapted to run at 50hz

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:26 pm
It's possible but hard to be sure. It was developed in Japan and it's hard to say what the intention was. The game does not rely on PAL timing to work. However I'm inclined to say it should be remade - but we don't have a lot of people working on that these days.
Post Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:04 pm
Main programmer Takayuki "Jemini" Hirono has said it was made for 50 Hz. The Brazilian version was corrected accordingly, or so says one site.

https://twitter.com/jeminilog/status/534907788023959552
https://www.mdnomad.com/game/sg_ms/tips/
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:51 pm
Well then I look forward to a submission...
Post Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:31 am
Correction: The Brazilian version is not optimized. The translation was a little off.
Post Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:12 am
CRV wrote
Main programmer Takayuki "Jemini" Hirono has said it was made for 50 Hz.

That's quite a find, can't believe you actually found confirmation straight from the horse's mouth.
And thank you for originally ripping the VGM Pack, 60Hz or not, you're doing god's work.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!