Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - SMS VST - SUPER PSG - SN76489 + (AY3-8910 EG) EXTENDED

Reply to topic
SMS VST - SUPER PSG - SN76489 + (AY3-8910 EG) EXTENDED
Post Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:55 am
I just feel I had to post here about this as smspower.org pretty rocks and were very useful for any kind of technical informations!
sorry for non direct links I had to remove but it is a forum limitation for recent members :) I will add them latter if I am authorized, let me know! [Admin: linkified]
INFOS at alyjameslab.com (website)
youtube channel with previews

Super PSG is a bit perfect emulation of an SN76489 chip (SMS Version) + Timer Interrupt routine modulation + the emulated envelope part of the AY3-8910 (MSX, SX SPECTRUM...)

It features band-limited waveforms to have a nice analog sound with no aliasing.
All you need to squeeze the hell of a square wave :)
Including Timer Modulation Tricks, High speed modulation (up to 300Hz), PCM sample import that can be played through the chip volume register which gives them a unique sound (PCM or PWM way) etc...
Some tracker like "tables" and a unique way of circuit bent the Noise channel! witch basically gives you the ability to reach some ATARI 2600 like metal noise or mess it up in a unique way, all of that in real-time.

Almost everything can be automated or MIDI learned.

Basically the main features of SPSG are:
SN76489 Sega Master System/ Genesis Version Emulation + some extended features.
(see timer modulation for example >> http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/12185/sega-psg-pulse-width-modulation-on-1-cha... )
in order to make some advanced sound out of the simple PSG.

• NO aliasing on the tone channels at high frequencies! (band-limited)
  • Internal Sequencer/Tables for each global setting (envelope, pitch, arp, timers, lfsr...)
  • Master clock crystal setting : NTSC, PAL, 1Mhz, 4Mhz or anything in between (can be modulated in real-time and stay in tune...)
  • 1 to 64 Steps envelope for Amplitude and Pitch, with delay, clock speed, loop, ping-pong etc...
  • 2 modes arpeggio (programmable or MIDI controlled with some unique features)
  • 8 memory slots per envelope, arp and advanced waveforms than can be internally sequenced at any available clock speed (can be used as a wave-table for software waveforms...)
  • Z80 Timer Interrupt routine for Pulse Width emulation (SID) Sound or custom waveforms
  • AY3-8910 emulated Envelope Generator! Buzzers, Sync Buzz... (not available on a SN76489 but nice to have :) )
  • PWM & PCM sample import/play
  • Each envelope clock master speed can be synchronized or independent
  • Noise channel LFSR extended feature: tweak-able in real-time (tapped bit masks and feedback bit)

The output can be converted from MIDI into a .vgm file using the free tool M2v_PSG by Valley bell. SPSG outputs envelope, modulation and pitch as MIDI message. (SID effect needs 22050 PPQN resolution so far only available in Reaper..)

Can also work as a controller for a modified version of the Little Scale's open source SN76489 interface.
Should work with GENMDM too.
It is available on the same basis as FMDrive Vsti (YM2612 Megadrive FM chip emulation).minimum donation of 10.00 €

Here is an audio test with the real SMS and Alex Kidd ^_^ + custom sounds in the end of the video...

Here are some audio demos with some tracks by Mc Alby ad Yuzo Koshiro :)
http://soundcloud.com/alyjameslab/sets/super-psg-vsti/

Noise LFSR circuit bending >>
Stock Sn76489 SID effect test >>
and here

SPSG VST SID effect >> MIDI >> VGM proof of concept...!
Here we go, this is a quick test with the PSG clocked at 1Mhz, only one channel and SID modulation..
(link should be here)
the greatest accuracy for exporting a midi file with the SPSG modulation as been made through Reaper at 22050 PPQN.

Hope you like it and help me share the word :)
AJ
Post Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:17 am
For some reason, I didn't realize this post 4 years ago. I found couple of examples in twitter, and I just read it can be used in a "REAL" Sms. Is that true?
Post Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:37 pm
I did this test tune a couple of months ago with Super PSG. It's quite interesting, and I am making a song in LMMS with it, although it's taking a while since I'm slow with piano rolls.
SPSG_Test_Song.mp3 (3.92 MB)
Made in OpenMPT with 4 channels and 8 instances of the VST plugin.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:50 am
kusfo wrote
For some reason, I didn't realize this post 4 years ago. I found couple of examples in twitter, and I just read it can be used in a "REAL" Sms. Is that true?

almost - I mean if you can change PSG channels volumes and frequencies at high rates, such as 22,000 or even 44,000 times a second, you can do pretty everything, as Maxim's pcmenc demo showed.

But of course you can't do anything else while the processor is handling this.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!