Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - [Homebrew game] Flight of Pigarus

Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:56 pm
Kagesan wrote
@TOMaplan: I'm sure once you have dicovered all the secrets, you'll be the first one to crack the 100K.

Done!
Thanks a lot good sir!
The key is to abuse quick quill so one can have an additional "4 parts big ball" at the end of the course, providing another 5000pts.

So there's a grand total of 5, with two on the first 2min run...! I've found 3 in total for now.
There still lots of margin, since i've done a counter performance on the last boss, and there is still 2 stars to be found...
About the dual eyes to be closed, i've found out but as you say, let's not spoil this clever idea.

I can tell ist is really clever since i've found about just after reading Tom comment, and remembered some non Caravan experiences...
Your title is a love letter to Meijin's discipline, and is right on the best Shmup on the 8bit system.
On par with Aleste 1 & 2, hands down.

Best indie Shmup of the year to me, including Zero Ranger, Rysen & Omega Boost, and that's saying a lot.
Believe me :p

All Hail Kagesan, Caravan Master Race leader.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:17 am
Hi Kagesan,

I've tested the v1.1 on my pcb.
Without SRAM (Fram) the games boot, but with an SRAM i've got a black screen.
Same problem with my "old" everdrive.

v1.0 boot perfectly with or without SRAM
Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:52 am
ichigobankai wrote
I've tested the v1.1 on my pcb.
Without SRAM (Fram) the games boot, but with an SRAM i've got a black screen.
Same problem with my "old" everdrive.

v1.0 boot perfectly with or without SRAM

That is strange. Both versions work flawlessly on my own Everdrive (also an old one, not an x7). All v1.1 does is check if (enough) SRAM is available, and set a couple of flags accordingly.

However, if v1.0 works for you, then I suggest you use that for now. V1.1 was mainly made for those people who experienced glitchy results screens and replays due to insufficient SRAM anyway. If you do have 32K of SRAM present on your pcb, v1.0 should work just fine. There are no changes to the game itself between versions. The only difference is that the later version checks for SRAM while the earlier one simply assumes that it‘s there.
Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:55 am
v1.0 works but i need to change the mapper and the sram to have 2 pages available ^^

edit. Sorry the problem seems to come from my SMS II...
v1.1 works on my megadrive (with adapter), SMS I and an other SMS II.
Post Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:18 pm
Awesome work! ;)
Must be included in this year compo
Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:24 pm
This is my opinion about this game must be included in 2019 year compo.
Thats what I think.
Post Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:55 am
M.Osorio wrote
this game must be included in 2019 year compo

it would win hands down, so better we don't ;)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:03 am
Yeah, give everyone else a chance :) Also, it's against the usual rules.
My ideas
Post Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:37 pm
In these days I´m playing a lot and during the play appears in my head a few ideas that i´d like to share with you.
I love this game and the time attack mode is ok, but what about a panic mode like Superpang, trying to keep alive all the time you can without die and scoring the time.
And what about a story mode, I imagine a extended version with new points of playing. I imagine a mission with diagonal scrolling like Enduro Racer, I think no one sms shooter use the diagonal scrolling, I think fliying between mountains and big birds could be awesome.
Or use the side scrolling like Fantasy Zone and enemies apearing for both sides and Pigarus moving left/right to terminate enemies and a great final with a very big enemy for example a bull with big size with the same stile as Sagaia o R-Type with huge bosses.
I don´t know if it is possible to change the scrolling in diferent missions or other technical limitations of the system, this is only my version that could be a extended version of the game.
Post Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:20 am
M.Osorio wrote
In these days I´m playing a lot and during the play appears in my head a few ideas that i´d like to share with you.
I love this game and the time attack mode is ok, but what about a panic mode like Superpang, trying to keep alive all the time you can without die and scoring the time.
And what about a story mode, I imagine a extended version with new points of playing. I imagine a mission with diagonal scrolling like Enduro Racer, I think no one sms shooter use the diagonal scrolling, I think fliying between mountains and big birds could be awesome.
Or use the side scrolling like Fantasy Zone and enemies apearing for both sides and Pigarus moving left/right to terminate enemies and a great final with a very big enemy for example a bull with big size with the same stile as Sagaia o R-Type with huge bosses.
I don´t know if it is possible to change the scrolling in diferent missions or other technical limitations of the system, this is only my version that could be a extended version of the game.

Some very interesting ideas, but not really feasible with the game‘s engine as it is, because it‘s taylored to do specifically what it does, and nothing else.

If I ever make some sort of sequel, I‘ll think about it, but at the moment I have no such plans.
Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:22 pm
Just a quick headsup that I've uploaded v1.11 which fixes another minor glitch in the highscore display. (Hopefully the last one.)

The rest of the game remains unchanged, so if you didn't have any problems before, there's no need to update.
Post Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:57 am
A (very limited) physical edition of the game is now available. More information here.

EDIT: Not anymore. It‘s sold out.
Post Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:18 pm
I´ve released an in-depth review in german for our piggy friend. Sorry that it´s not in english, but if there are enough requests, I could translate it into english as well.

https://www.gordmansgametreasure.com/report-flight-of-pigarus.htm?nocache=1556196227
Post Posted: Sun May 12, 2019 11:48 am
Kagesan wrote
A (very limited) physical edition of the game is now available...

EDIT: Not anymore. It‘s sold out.

Are you planning on making more copies? I would love to have one of these! Unfortunately I only realized this game existed very recently, so I didn't get a chance to potentially buy one of the physical copies :'(
Post Posted: Sun May 12, 2019 3:00 pm
Devius wrote
Are you planning on making more copies?

I have no such plans, sorry. Sourcing the components and making these physical copies is quite a hassle. I made this small batch just for fun, so it‘s unlikely that I‘m going to make another one.
Post Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:43 am
A little late to the party but wanted to congratulate Kagesan on the great game. Just fantastic work all round and have had lots of fun playing it!
Post Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:58 am
hi Kagesan, i'm back on Flight Of Pigarus!

At Shmup'Em All.com, we have but one goal : to democratize Shoot'em up back again.
On that purpose, we do some video guide on various STG, mostly Shoot'em Ups, and i alone drive a peculiar concept, "Caravan Stage".
Your game has been working out by us, so that you'll be able to see our 2MIN & 5MIN "almost personal best", complete with tips & advanced tricks!
(i think about 38kpts on 2MIN, and 113kpts on 5MIN)

You can find it there, it's in French langage sadly...if you need any translation, feel free to ask!

best regards.
TOMaplan
Post Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:40 pm
Brilliant video, thank you. I feel very honored that you chose my game for your caravan stage series.

I don't know if you already know, but there's a new batch of physical editions in the works, thanks to the awesomeness of ichigobankai. There's also a scoring competition upcoming to celebrate the release.

You can find more information here: https://www.smspower.org/forums/18169-2MindsStudioPublisher
Post Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:52 pm
Kagesan wrote
Brilliant video, thank you. I feel very honored that you chose my game for your caravan stage series.

I need to clarify myself here Kagesan, you are a some kind of a hero to me. I believe you are one of the last that could provide this kind of things to guys like us, despite their past classicness.
As a shoot'em up connoiseur, i've already stated that your game truly is relevant as part of Hudson Soft's Caravan Stage legend.
To put it simply, this is so well polished and balanced that i tought it was Power Strike moded...but i guess not (i've NO knowledge about programming whatsoever)
Anyway, in fact your game IS a new "Soldier" Score Attack mode, with a bucolic setting that fits the 8bits limitations so greatly. (where your game shines the most : clarity in action)
I've noted one possible homebrew influence, with the "close the eyes" bonus on Blade Buster, i assume?

NO FLAWS in the core (scoring) system, a great learning curve, excellent sensations : what a homebrew STG!!!
We pretty much agreed on my community that Flight Of Pigarus is rightfully on the top tier Shooters of the whole Master System/Sega MarkIII/other variation of the hardware official library!

BTW if you're interested in this, Japanese pro studio M2 will release a new Sega Game Gear game (M2 are known to reprogram or create games within real hardware condition), and nothing less than GG Aleste 3!
This will be launched on 24th December 2020, with "physical" release for PS4 and Switch as part of Aleste Compilation.

Kagesan wrote
I don't know if you already know, but there's a new batch of physical editions in the works, thanks to the awesomeness of ichigobankai.

I already have my "first print" physical edition, but yeah its good to know you are launching another batch!
We talked about that few days ago on our forum!

Kagesan wrote
There's also a scoring competition upcoming to celebrate the release.

Any chance for me or any STG player to qualify on this competition (whithout being troublesome) somehow?
I would absolutly love to win a T-shirt with this adorable Flying Pig and my PB on it!!!
Post Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:29 am
Thanks again for the accolades.

TOMaplan wrote
To put it simply, this is so well polished and balanced that i tought it was Power Strike moded...but i guess not

No it's all been done from scratch (code, graphics, sound). If you're interested in the technical aspects, there has been a thread about those here: https://www.smspower.org/forums/17278-FlightOfPigarusDevelopmentQA

TOMaplan wrote
clarity in action

This has actually been a major concern of mine during development. In fact, I changed the colours of the chickens from yellow to white and those of the jelly blobs from pink to green at the very last minute, because I had the feeling that the action wasn't clear enough in peripheral vision. After the change, the colour coding was finally consistent: Yellow/pink/red sprites are harmless or potentially beneficial, while white/grey/blue/green sprites are deadly and need to be avoided. Readability is one of the most important things in action games, period.

TOMaplan wrote
I've noted one possible homebrew influence, with the "close the eyes" bonus on Blade Buster, i assume?

Well-spotted, Blade Buster was indeed the inspiration for that particular bonus. You can spot the influence of another homebrew caravan game, namely Super Star Shooter (X68K) if you look closely at the bosses. Both of FOP's bosses started out as spoofs of those from SSS. Of course their attack patterns are quite different, but you can easily see the inspiration if you look at their outer shapes.

TOMaplan wrote
BTW if you're interested in this, Japanese pro studio M2 will release a new Sega Game Gear game (M2 are known to reprogram or create games within real hardware condition), and nothing less than GG Aleste 3!

I already have that on on preorder since the day of the announcement. ;-)

TOMaplan wrote
Any chance for me or any STG player to qualify on this competition (whithout being troublesome) somehow?

I think you'll have to talk to ichigo about that. His original plan has always been to open the competition to people who purchased copies from the first limited run, but unfortunately I couldn't provide him with a list of all the customers. I'll happily vouch for you to be one of them, though.
Post Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:25 pm
Appreciate its a long time ago this thread began but I want a replacement cover / box art for Flight of Pigarus, I've lost my box in a house move. Can anyone help please?
Post Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:31 pm
Hi,
you can find the cover in the Zip file (PDF)
https://www.smspower.org/Homebrew/FlightOfPigarus-SMS
;)
Post Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:33 pm
The download from the homebrew section contains PDFs of box art, manual and cart sticker. You can use them to print your own.

Edit: Ichigo beat me to it.
Post Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:08 pm
Tool-Assisted video of the five minutes mode: http://youtube.com/watch?v=p7k9E7Pe8OY. I decided not to reveal all the secrets, only some of them.
Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:19 am
Bumping an old thread to say this game is the pinnacle of Master System gaming.
Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:07 pm
I'll jump on the band waggon there. Love Pigarus. Kagesan did a great job with this one.

initials wrote
Bumping an old thread to say this game is the pinnacle of Master System gaming.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!