Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Missile Defense 3-D (SMS) & Bubble Bobble (GG) Prototypes & more

Reply to topic
  • Site Admin
Missile Defense 3-D (SMS) & Bubble Bobble (GG) Prototypes & more
Post Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:47 pm
Last edited by Bock on Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Four releases today!

I found a Prototype of Missile Defense 3-D for the Master System. Among noticeable changes, this version uses a different music track on the title screen, which isn't part of the final version (incoming VGM pack update!)

As the game uses both Light Phaser and 3-D Glasses you'll need to enable them in your emulator of choice. Meka has menu options for it, you may also download and update your copy of the meka.nam database file if you want those settings to be applied automatically.

Also obtained a Prototype of Bubble Bobble for the Game Gear. Adapted from the Master System version (which itself was an extension of the Arcade game, and an unusually polished and improved port hence the "Final Bubble Bobble" title used in Japan). This prototype seems to exhibit a few differences: the menu flow is not the same as final build (see screenshots), the prototype starts you with 2 lives and infinite continues instead of 5 lives and 5 continues, missing Trademark mark on title screen and some difference in texts. They are probably more gameplay difference to be investigated further.Thanks Paul W!

This cartridge was was apparently a sample cart sent to EGM for review in 1994. According to the auction, "The review of this game can be seen in Electronic Gaming Monthly #63 October 1994, pages 42 and 226 (see pics 11 and 12)".

We also have the dump of USA version of Kawasaki Superbike Challenge for the Game Gear, which curiously was released until now (only the European dump was released and both cartridges are different).

Finally, we have a Correct dump of Sports Illustrated: Championship Football & Baseball for the Game Gear. The dump previously available on the internet (not an SmsPower dump) has 16 incorrect bytes following a pattern that suggest a hardware/software error interfered at the time of the original dumping. They likely didn't affect gameplay much, but they are now fixed. Thanks omonim2007 for the nudge regarding this long awaited dump (I actually made a mistake in my listing and had flagged it as "already dumped", omonim2007 noticed that!).

Finally I would like to thank everyone who has been helping me obtaining and purchasing cartridges and rare games. Most recently, Niloct, yaz0r, Joseph have been very helpful with obtaining things in variety of countries. Thank you.

• Site Admin
Temporary Transitional Attachment Fairy
Post Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:48 pm
This message will auto destruct itself someday.

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:17 am
PS, if someone would be inclined to update the VGM pack for this game, there's at least one new track to rip. (I wonder if some hacking in either this version or the original game would yield other tracks?)
Post Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:07 pm
Yeah... New releases are always something super nice. Thanks to share, Bock. And thanks to everyone who helped in make this release possible. :-)
Post Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:47 am
Thanks a lot for the new protos and new correct dumps, sir!

Added so valuable information to No-Intro Dat-o-Matic.

P.S. It was not easy to maintain a certain persistence in my requests to verify the accuracy of the dump info ))
Post Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:59 pm
Thank you for these new dumps.

Would it be possible for you to also post the unaltered individual chip dumps so that they can be added to MAME, pretty please? 0:)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:25 pm
ICEknight wrote
Thank you for these new dumps.

Would it be possible for you to also post the unaltered individual chip dumps so that they can be added to MAME, pretty please? 0:)

I'm dumping most cartridge via the SMS/GG bus.
You can split the resulting file in two 128 KB to get individual EPROM chip dumps.

It's fairly meaningless for a console like the master system, and the exact same dump could perfectly be shipped on a single EPROM instead of two. Many retail cartridges comes in various chip combination that equates the same data from the Z80 POV and would be multiple dumps (with exactly same data) by that overzealous MAME definition.
Post Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:48 pm
Bock wrote
Many retail cartridges comes in various chip combination that equates the same data from the Z80 POV and would be multiple dumps (with exactly same data)
Well, that would also be an interesting thing to document... =|
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:00 pm
I think the giant list of MPR numbers covers that, at least for mask ROMs.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:04 pm
ICEknight wrote
Well, that would also be an interesting thing to document... =|

In theory yes. In practice.

1) It has near zero use for anything other than an idealized attempt to record information that are not useful in this context.
I'd be happy to hear how you think it can be of use.

2) Asian cartridges would need to be all opened and labels damaged.

3) I need to draw a line to be able have some sort of life ahead of me. SmsPower and dumps have taken an insane amount of energy, cognitive load, space and money from me which is affecting all aspects of my life even today (I am _still_ chasing undumped games, and hosting the collection is still a huge headache). I have to draw some sort of line so I won't still be doing that when I am 90 years old :) I would much rather work on Meka or the site infrastructure and its contents than devise a new sub-sub project of documenting board information for a system where it does NOT really matter.

But, if someone wants to come in Paris and open all my cartridges carefully and scan the boards and then to do the same with 4-5 other major collectors to gather data on board variations, I'd be happy to help to allow that to happen. But personally I need to prioritize because there's so much more useful things to do imho.
Post Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:57 am
Bock wrote

2) Asian cartridges would need to be all opened and labels damaged.

I would feel the same about opening my Genesis games.
US games fine, if I felt up to spending the time opening and photographing them.
But Japanese games, I would not (even if it is only the caution label on the back that would need to be). The only one I would open is the one I received with the label already removed (so I can say it is not I that damaged them).
And a reportedly Asian Genesis 6-Pak (having a kind of suspect box and no manual for a "new" game wonder if it was legit) I cut through the "Genuine" sticker to verify it is indeed looking like a genuine game. Possibly repackaged US cart (as it still had the US hints phone number on the label)?
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!