Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Hamburgers En Route to Switzerland (Game Gear homebrew)

Reply to topic
Hamburgers En Route to Switzerland (Game Gear homebrew)
Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:15 pm
I have been working on this game off and on for the last four months. It is a side scrolling shmup with 7 levels. This is primarily the reason why I wanted to make a Game Gear game that was more than 32k. The time has come to reveal the game and ask for feedback on it.

You guide the burger with the d-pad and shoot at the milkshakes with button 1. And if you see a rare chicken nugget, touch it, for it gets you an extra life.

You get four lives to start with. To get to the next level, you need to shoot 100 milkshakes. Note that you don't need to shoot every milkshake, but shooting them gets your score bigger and progresses the game. After the seventh level is completed, you (should) see the ending. Or else you get the game over screen when all lives are lost and you begin at the beginning again.
hamburgers70.zip (43 KB)
Hamburgers En Route To Switzerland - 6/28/2018 build

Post Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:54 pm
This is fun, thank you for sharing it! My kid and I each played a bit on the Game Gear using an EverDrive, and it works well.

Random thoughts:

The graphics are nice and colorful and the speed was decent without being too fast for the blurry original display.

I'm pretty bad at games, but maybe especially bad at this one. I died a lot. I liked the challenge!

I found the initial moments when flying but unable to move or shoot a bit frustrating, I always wondered whether my direction pad was stuck (one of the game gears has a slightly sticky direction pad), but it was apparently working as intended. Maybe timing a musical phrase or start-of-level jingle to coincide with this would help, as would a graphical cue (some shmups show a flash of engine flames flaring out to coincide with being able to control the vehicle, I think)

Dodging the bouncing milkshakes was challenging.

The lack of power-ups is a little unusual these days, and the lack of enemy shots more so. Not sure how I feel about those aspects

The solid color for the sky (no clouds, no sun, no stars, no birds, no gradient even) is a bit out of place with the well-rendered volcanoes below

Music is a little repetitive and loud enough that it's hard to hear the sound effects

I'm really glad to see new Game Gear game development, and I hope you keep at it - I look forward to testing more :)
Post Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:56 pm
Thanks for sharing :)
Post Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:31 pm
The enemy milkshakes start shooting at you in level 2. but not always. They always shoot at you in level 3. The red milkshakes don't shoot, the brown ones sometimes do and the white ones always do.
To get to level 2, you need to shoot the milkshakes!
Post Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:03 pm
It's fun in a simplistic kind of way, but it gets a bit repetitive after a while. Reaching the next level can take ages. Maybe you should either lower the number of shakes that need to be destroyed to reach the next level or make progress dependent on number of enemies passed instead of number of enemies killed.

Nevertheless, this is a huge progress and a big step up from your previous games. Good job.
Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:04 am
Here is version 75, the "final" version. It would be nice if someone could do a conversion to SMS so I (and other people) can play this on my Master System as well. Could someone please do that?
hamburgers75.zip (43.04 KB)

Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:04 am
Gamegearguy wrote
Here is version 75, the "final" version. It would be nice if someone could do a conversion to SMS so I (and other people) can play this on my Master System as well. Could someone please do that?

I have tested it few minutes on emu, really nice job.

About a MS version, is more easy to do a better conversion that you adapt it in the code instead of hack the GG version. If you don't know how to do it, ask to the forum experts.
Post Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:23 am
I looked in the homebrew section and nobody added this game. Could someone please add this to it? I worked hard on it and would like it to be put on there.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:07 pm
Sorry for the delay!

https://www.smspower.org/Homebrew/HamburgersEnRouteToSwitzerland-GG
Post Posted: Sun May 24, 2020 1:08 pm
Haha nice game. What does this have to do with Switzerland? 😅
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!