Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - How to contribute

Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:09 pm
You can propose some. Given the range of platforms, I think it's going to be hard to find a consistent set.
Post Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:41 pm
I looked for a set of icons while I was designing vgmrips, but it turned out that all the good ones weren't free. Maybe that's not the case anymore, though, I didn't really check recently.
Post Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:35 pm
I'd like to add a hardware description page in the Development/Mappers page. I figure, having a functional VHDL description is a form a preservation similar to scans and dumps. Do I need special rights to add new pages?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:25 pm
No special rights required. Add a link to the appropriate index page and then click it.
Post Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:58 pm
Maxim wrote
No special rights required. Add a link to the appropriate index page and then click it.

Perfect, I'll add my info when I find time to do so. Eventually I'd like to have a full HDL description of the entire Master System.
board pics?
Post Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:17 pm
I wanted to know if you would be interested in adding pcb pics it the games. I would love to have something like what snes central has with board and rom info. I can scan my set. I have a complete US set with some EU games.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:55 pm
We have a bunch of board pics but they are kind of uninteresting and virtually identical for many games. I'd rather document the boards and list the games using them, similar to how we've recorded the MPR numbers on the chips, but scans are a great way to "prove" the data is correct.
Post Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:40 pm
Maxim wrote
We have a bunch of board pics but they are kind of uninteresting and virtually identical for many games. I'd rather document the boards and list the games using them, similar to how we've recorded the MPR numbers on the chips, but scans are a great way to "prove" the data is correct.
I would be happy to get the pics and we can organize them anyway you like. I know some repro people that look for the mapper chip. This would let them know what games to look out for.
Cover Art
Post Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:02 pm
I have been looking over the scans of the Phantasy Star cover and have noticed the version I have is a little different. I am not sure if you would like me to send pictures of it so I attached one for show. If you notice the text that says “Adventure Role-Playing” has two colors and a kind of triangle design in it. Traditionally they are usually solid purple. Please let me know if this is of any use for archival purposes.

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:56 pm
That's UV damage from sunlight. Something opaque masked of part of the cover so the ink faded less.
Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:56 pm
It looks like I have a few manuals that aren't on the site currently. Versions for games released in Australia (Assume same as Europe?). Is there still interest in that sort of thing being submitted?

Edit; Have just noted a small number have writing/marks on them (e.g. scores/codes written on the last page), would these still be wanted along with the unmarked ones?

Edit; Games I have manuals available where I couldn't see them on here (or only a different version) are;
Alex Kidd in Shinobi World, Aztec Adventure, Basketball Nightmare, Bubble Bobble, Chuck Rock, The Flintstones, Ghost House, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Land of Illusion, Lemmings, Mortal Kombat (also some hint cards), My Hero, The New Zealand Story, Populous, Prince of Persia, Psychic World, Rampage, Rampart, Secret Command, Sonic the Hedgehog, Speedball, Teddy Boy, Time Soldiers, Transbot, Trivial Pursuit, Wonder Boy, Wonder Boy in Monster Land, Wonder Boy III
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:36 am
We have scans for all US SMS games manuals waiting to go online, a fair few Brazilian ones too, but not much else. It's a bit time consuming to scan them and also to add them to the site, we need help with both.
Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:41 am
[quote="Maxim"]We have scans for all US SMS games manuals waiting to go online, a fair few Brazilian ones too, but not much else. It's a bit time consuming to scan them and also to add them to the site, we need help with both.[/quote]

From what I've seen the Australian manuals are a bit different to the US ones. I probably can't make it a priority but as and when I get time I'll see what I can get sorted.
Post Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:04 pm
I would like wiki editing the VGM section of smspower.

Would you allow me to ?

Thanks.
Post Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:57 pm
Hey @Maxim @admins,

tldr; What would be the best method to get logged but not fully processed vgms to become accessible to Niloct's new player while not adding too much load to the site?

I believe what Niloct is asking (based on private msgs) is how to add content to the /Music/VGMs section of the site. If I recall correctly that is a programmed page, that takes a feed of all pages in the /Music section connected to games.

What Niloct seems to want to do is add the logged/trimmed packs that are on the site to the page so his new player can add it to the playlist of his player and make easy use of its features for packs that aren't in the final state.

I recall some concern some time ago if the VGMs page had too many entres it might lead to slowdown, and that it might be better to change the format or transition to a static page eventually. Not sure if there is a new server or what the case is atm.

Would it be possible to add a new section for incomplete packs so that his player could access it? I've used it and I can see it eventually replacing the current music page.

Maybe the files can be moved to a specific directory so that playback via the player might be possible? Or have a new section? I'm not sure how much the vgm player code relies on the current site architecure or what possible solutions might be available.
Post Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:04 pm
Hi sherpa!

sherpa wrote
Hey @Maxim @admins,

What Niloct seems to want to do is add the logged/trimmed packs that are on the site to the page so his new player can add it to the playlist of his player and make easy use of its features for packs that aren't in the final state.

Actually the player is already programmed to scrape the VGM page and get all packs published there. So basically I would like to add new packs like Danan and Ultima IV and others missing there.

sherpa wrote

I recall some concern some time ago if the VGMs page had too many entres it might lead to slowdown, and that it might be better to change the format or transition to a static page eventually. Not sure if there is a new server or what the case is atm.

Maxim discussed this a bit in private e-mails, but it seems there is no intention of moving to another host.

sherpa wrote

Would it be possible to add a new section for incomplete packs so that his player could access it? I've used it and I can see it eventually replacing the current music page.

I think it's better to complete packs and add to the official vgm page, so tracknames and GD3 are complete in vgm player.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:50 pm
Last edited by Maxim on Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
The site is based on PmWiki and heavily uses pagelists to scrape page contents into indexes. This is naturally O(n), and currently takes about 2.3s. It also generates wikicode which then has to be processed into HTML, which again is not cached and is again O(n), currently taking about 6.4s.

There's a fairly simple solution - cache the result and invalidate that cache on any edit to the Music section. I just haven't spent the time to implement that, and it'd be useful for other indexes.

I'm happy to add more packs, provided they are to an acceptable standard. The main reason more aren't added is just my time to add them.
Post Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:12 pm
What is currently the best way to submit screenshots? I wouldn't mind doing some Game Gear ones via MEKA as I'm currently in 'Game Gear mode' again.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:21 pm
S.F: I have added Wiki Edition rights to you.
You can edit/add Screenshots pages and upload files accordingly. Let us know if you have any issue or questions!
Post Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:37 pm
Alright, thanks! Will try to add some screenshots soon :)

*I tried to add some screenshot and site got really slow, probably not my fault and just a coincidence but is there a small how to on how to add screenshots? I DON'T want to break anything.
Publishing a bug fix hack
Post Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:06 pm
Hello All, I patched ninja gaiden for the SMS to avoid to issue (or design decision?) where you get infinite magic points if you reach 999 (which happens quite easily).

I would like to publish it in the rom hacks section, are you interested? how could I do that?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:03 pm
Post in the forums and we can take it from there. I suspect it was a deliberate decision, though...
Post Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:00 pm
Maxim wrote
Post in the forums and we can take it from there. I suspect it was a deliberate decision, though...

Yeah, looking at the code it seems to be, but it is hard to tell.

I just posted the BPS patch on the Development forum. I can't link here, "Non-registered or recent members are not allowed to post links".
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:21 pm
Yeah, sorry, spam bots make us do that :(

https://www.smspower.org/forums/18478-SMSNinjaGaidenHackAvoidingTheInfiniteMagic...
Post Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:57 am
Maxim wrote

Just checking, will it make into the Hacks section of the site?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:45 am
Only if someone picks it up... give me some time...
Post Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:28 am
I converted the GG Official Docs to PDF format complete with bookmarked index but couldn't attach it to the wiki because of the file size limit, if the attachment fairy could do the honors.

https://www.smspower.org/Development/OfficialDocumentation

Post Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:31 am
I've got this one, from sega retro (seems to be pretty complete)

https://segaretro.org/images/1/16/Sega_Game_Gear_Hardware_Reference_Manual.pdf
Post Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:40 am
oh nice! thanks for that
Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:00 pm
I have or well have had a SMS hack that I want to add to the Game Modifications section, but how do I do that.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:24 pm
Gort wrote
I have or well have had a SMS hack that I want to add to the Game Modifications section, but how do I do that.

Added you as a wiki editor.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:40 pm
Or post in the forums and we will eventually add it. You may find this easier.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:40 pm
Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:06 pm
Bock wrote
Gort wrote

Added you as a wiki editor.

Awesome, Thank you.

Maxim wrote

That sound like a much better Idea, I have my hack on Romhacking.net if that helps. https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3050/

It's kind of a lame hack at best but was the best I could do at the time, I may try updating it though since I started using Meka again. I'll sort through my patches and re-upload them somewhere before posting it on the forum. Thank you.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:43 pm
It’d help me if you post a new thread on this forum as then I can link the entry to it.
Post Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:54 pm
Could I request wiki edit rights please?

In the short term, it would be nice to update some of the competition entry wiki pages (including my own!) with latest versions people have been posting to the forum; but also I guess it's a matter of time before I help out with other edits :)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:27 pm
Done.
Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:58 am
Maxim wrote
Done.

Thanks Maxim!

A bit of a learning curve and wasn't quite sure of some of the points of etiquette / convention around updating homebrew / competition entries so feel free to correct or reprimand :)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:07 pm
No problem - that’s what the wiki is for. It seems like you figured it out pretty well. I’ll check and pass on any tips when I get back from holiday.
Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:52 pm
Since you guys are talking about the homebrew section, I'd like to point out the importance of archiving all versions of the homebrew releases on the wiki, not only their latest versions. Not only will they serve as educational tools, but it also happens the last version is not always the least broken (remember Wing Warriors?).
Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:55 pm
mateusbond wrote
Since you guys are talking about the homebrew section, I'd like to point out the importance of archiving all versions of the homebrew releases on the wiki, not only their latest versions. Not only will they serve as educational tools, but it also happens the last version is not always the least broken (remember Wing Warriors?).

The ones I just updated I uploaded the new versions but didn't delete the old ones, however it didn't appear to me that this was standard procedure as I didn't see many if any games with old versions still present. Possibly an attempt to save on storage?

There is a boolean flag on each homebrew entry to display all versions but for most games this is apparently turned off.
Post Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:06 am
That's odd. I typically see old versions enabled and available. That's also how I do it. I don't think it's intended to remove old versions.
Post Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:23 am
Calindro wrote
That's odd. I typically see old versions enabled and available. That's also how I do it. I don't think it's intended to remove old versions.

Yeah possibly a combination of Maxim being on holiday, the fact that the early entries only had a single version anyway and my half-hearted inspection of previous years' entries!

For now, I've enabled old version display on all those entries from this year which have more than one version uploaded to the page.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!