Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - I need a SC-3000 BASIC Level ROM, can I make one?

Reply to topic
I need a SC-3000 BASIC Level ROM, can I make one?
Post Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:37 am
Hi All

I need a SC-3000 Basic Level ROM cartridge, I see I can download the ROM file but I don't know if it's as simple as re-programming a game cartridge. I have no idea if a games cartridge has the required RAM and maybe other chips that are required for the BASIC ROM.

I have a YENO SC-3000H, which I haven't even plugged in and tried yet.

Any help would be appreciated.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:43 am
BASIC cartridges all have RAM and apart from The Castle the only SG-1000/SC-3000 cartridges to embed RAM (and hopefully you don't want to kill a beautiful The Castle!)

Since your statement appears to be "I need a SC-3000 Basic" why not buying one? It will definitively be faster and cheaper to buy a Basic (they aren't particularly expensive) than make one. If you are trying to learn the skills or interesting in the electronic hackery it's a whole different story and interesting thing to pursue.. Some people here will be able to help.

(PS: I will move this topic to the Development forum shortly, don't worry if you don't see it in the Main forum any more!)
Post Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:59 am
Bock wrote
BASIC cartridges all have RAM and apart from The Castle the only SG-1000/SC-3000 cartridges to embed RAM (and hopefully you don't want to kill a beautiful The Castle!)

Since your statement appears to be "I need a SC-3000 Basic" why not buying one? It will definitively be faster and cheaper to buy a Basic (they aren't particularly expensive) than make one. If you are trying to learn the skills or interesting in the electronic hackery it's a whole different story and interesting thing to pursue.. Some people here will be able to help.

(PS: I will move this topic to the Development forum shortly, don't worry if you don't see it in the Main forum any more!)

Thanks for the reply. I assumed that a BASIC cartridge would be hard to find and expensive, do you know what you would normally pay for one?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:52 am
I don't know what's a normal price, I bought most of mine a long time ago and many directly from Japan or Australia/New Zealand.

Now.. I've checked ebay and in my optimism I had forgot about ebay sellers driving price up with buy it now. The buy it now are all quite expensive unfortunately. :(

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sega-SC-3000-BASIC-Level-IIIA-cartridge-box/273...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SEGA-SC-3000-BASIC-Level-IIIB-3B-Cart-Only-Japan-Import...

I think it's too expensive but still probably cheaper than figuring out how to make one unless you are already experienced with electronics.

If you wait some more decently priced auctions will probably appear.

If you are serious about using BASIC prefer a Level III A or B which have 16 KB / 32 KB of RAM. (12k/26k left for user). Level II A is barely usable almost useless
Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:05 am
I built a couple from scratch a while ago.. ill have a look later on tonight and see if i have a spare board still.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:32 am
There’s $20 one listed today

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2...
Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:35 am
Found one of the ones i built. I can build another for you if you get stuck. Youd just need an old game to steel the cart casing from.
20180130_222020.jpg (83.63 KB)
20180130_222020.jpg
20180130_222037.jpg (79.43 KB)
20180130_222037.jpg

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:44 am
Bock wrote
There’s $20 one listed today

$20 + $20 shipping :(

wasup wrote
Found one of the ones i built. I can build another for you if you get stuck. Youd just need an old game to steel the cart casing from.

That would be good, I think I'll buy a cheap game first, just to make sure the machine works.
Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:29 am
Bock wrote

Is "The castle" really the only game that had ram built into the cartridge?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:34 am
Actually Othello also has RAM but only 2 KB.
The Castle has 8 KB of RAM.
Basic Level III rom
Post Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:53 am
Hi guys,

What was the.outcome here. I need a new rom as well, and everything on Ebay is ridiculously priced! Wasup, are you still able to build these? Happy to buy one from you if you are
Post Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:42 am
Should be able to dig out a board. It wont have a case tho.. you got something you can pinch that from?
Post Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:06 am
Yep! Got an old copy of Flipper somewhere I think! Thanks. Let me know the details, cheers, Artie
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!