Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Convert mp3 sound to sms/gg music?

Reply to topic
Convert mp3 sound to sms/gg music?
Post Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:29 pm
Hi,

I know this seems an impossible question but considering on this forum I've seen also fmv videos were impressively converted to the sms hardware, did anyone tried to convert generic music mp3/wave to the sms music capabilities?
Thank
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:56 pm
You can play samples, yes. I made this: http://www.smspower.org/forums/15964-HighQualityPCMWithPcmencFeedbackRequested Converting it to the actual sound capabilities is incredibly difficult.
Post Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:11 pm
Maxim wrote
You can play samples, yes. I made this: http://www.smspower.org/forums/15964-HighQualityPCMWithPcmencFeedbackRequested Converting it to the actual sound capabilities is incredibly difficult.

Impressive!! The sound quality is incredible!
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:10 pm
So is the ROM and CPU usage! :) I ought to finish up some of the replayer cores, and look into those crash reports...
Post Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:21 pm
Maxim wrote
So is the ROM and CPU usage! :) I ought to finish up some of the replayer cores, and look into those crash reports...

Well I imagined that decoding real time fmv video was the peak of the Z80 usage but this is impressive too.
Any change to release a linux mp3/wav to sms converter for this?
And generally, how the sms sound subsystem can be that good in voice music quality?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:18 pm
I don't like to make ROM generators, a sample player is a library for some greater product, not a way to generate files for GoodSMS. The tool can probably compile fairly easily for Linux. The quality comes from high sampling rates primarily, but also the exhaustive search for combinations of channel values in order to provide better resolution on the samples.

The FMV player uses this tool too, but at lower sample rates. The difficulty with sample playback is that you need to update the sound chip for every sample, which might mean every 447 CPU cycles for 8kHz audio. However, there's no way to time that apart from to do some small amount of CPU work in between. Most sample players will waste CPU time doing nothing much, the FMV player tries to do small chunks of the FMV playback work instead. It would be quite hard to make a game that played while playing samples because the work that needs to be done is far less uniform.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!