Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - More about the BIOS...

Reply to topic
_Maximo_
More about the BIOS...
Post Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2000 6:16 am
ok, here we go again..

I have been studing the smsbios for a while now..
and this is what i have found :

1) Normal Animated Sega Logo BIOS, with the "Instructions Screen"
This is the one emulated on Meka, and that Zoop and vecna
posted the dumped ones. (Europe and USA?)

2) Normal Animated Sega Logo BIOS, without the "Instructions Screen"
This one is the same as above, but if you turned the SMS
without any carts on, it just go blank... I think this
is the one used on the SMS that has only 1 game on the
which has been released later, but i have one sms with this
bios that doesnt have any game on the memory! (Brazil??)

3) Space Harrier Background BIOS.
This one is emulated on Meka too, and it is the japanese
one, that came with the FMed SMS units. (Japan!)

4) Blue "Mark III" Bios
This one only show a blue screen, with the words "Mark III" for about a second or two.. and then enters the game, unfortunately, i haven't been able to test this one out, because the only sms i have seen with this bios died a few years ago. (Europe? Japan?). (I have pics of this scanned, if interests)

5) Normal Animated Sega logo, without the "Instructions Screen" with the "Game Select" screen.
This one, show the animated sega logo, as seen on the first two ones, but this one, came in a sms unit that have both "Hang-on" and "Safari Hunt" on the memory, and shows up a blue screen, with a Motorcycle and a Duck, and has the following text: "To Play Hang-on, Press Button 1 on Control Pad 1 / To Play Safari Hunt pull the trigger on Light Phaser". I believe this is a screen that come from the bios. I have this Model and is fully working. I'll see if i can manage some pics of this if you guys want.

This is a small research, and i hope that anyone with more information on these information can correct me, and if is possible to provide any of this bios dumped (Except the already dumped ones!) i'll be happy to take a look...

Post Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2000 7:48 am
> 4) Blue "Mark III" Bios
> This one only show a blue screen, with the words "Mark III" for about a second or two.. and then enters the game, unfortunately, i haven't been able to test this one out, because the only sms i have seen with this bios died a few years ago. (Europe? Japan?). (I have pics of this scanned, if interests)

I am interested. I don't have a Mark 3 myself, but I'm heavily thinking the BIOS in the Mark 3 doesn't show anything.
Because:
- all Japanese games shows their own Sega logo,
- my Japanese SMS bios doesn't shows anything when a cartridge is present
_Maximo_
Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2000 6:05 am

here it is..
sorry about the bad quality, but this picture was taken a long time ago, as i was testing my camera to shoot my akmw tutorial for my now dead sms fan club..
i think this was in 90 or earlier..

> I am interested. I don't have a Mark 3 myself, but I'm heavily thinking the BIOS in the Mark 3 doesn't show anything.

i'm not pretty sure about that, this mark 3 i have is a european one i believe, after all it has all english package..

> Because:
> - all Japanese games shows their own Sega logo,
> - my Japanese SMS bios doesn't shows anything when a cartridge is present

well, this pic was taken with a alex kidd in miracle world (USA A Version - Rice Cake) cart inserted in..

_Maximo_
Re: Wrong Picture info
Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2000 6:36 am

sorry about that..
the picture is really a screenshot of something i've been working on.. if i find the other i will post..

Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2000 7:41 am
> i'm not pretty sure about that, this mark 3 i have is a european one i believe, after all it has all english package..

The Mark3 was never released outside of Japan.

But if you configure your machine to tells the game it's Japanese, you'll get the Mark3 logo on many games. That's the way the games behiave, but it doesn't means the system is a Mark3.
More
Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2000 7:43 am

Does your systems looks like this one?
(this is a Mark3 with the FM Unit on the left, and the Terebi Oekaki graphic board connected throught the drawing cartridge)
_Maximo_
Re: More
Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2000 4:03 pm
> Does your systems looks like this one?
> (this is a Mark3 with the FM Unit on the left, and the Terebi Oekaki graphic board connected throught the drawing cartridge)

yes,almost, my system doesn't have the fm port(?), and the yellow button is red..
excluding that is the same..

Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2000 5:05 pm
> > Does your systems looks like this one?
> > (this is a Mark3 with the FM Unit on the left, and the Terebi Oekaki graphic board connected throught the drawing cartridge)

> yes,almost, my system doesn't have the fm port(?), and the yellow button is red..
> excluding that is the same..

...and it accepts European/US SMS cartridges?

Mike
_Maximo_
Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2000 4:44 pm
> > > Does your systems looks like this one?
> > > (this is a Mark3 with the FM Unit on the left, and the Terebi Oekaki graphic board connected throught the drawing cartridge)

> > yes,almost, my system doesn't have the fm port(?), and the yellow button is red..
> > excluding that is the same..

> ...and it accepts European/US SMS cartridges?

yes, i have never had a problem with that..

_Maximo_

_Maximo_
Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2000 4:48 pm
> > i'm not pretty sure about that, this mark 3 i have is a european one i believe, after all it has all english package..

> The Mark3 was never released outside of Japan.

are you sure ? lol.. if you say i believe..

> But if you configure your machine to tells the game it's Japanese, you'll get the Mark3 logo on many games. That's the way the games behiave, but it doesn't means the system is a Mark3.

hmm..
weird, well i got this system used, a long time ago, on the box said Sega Mark III, and the entire box and manuals are in english and japanese, and this machine accepts us / eur cart without any configurations, and shows the Mark 3 logo on all of them..

_Maximo_

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!