Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Music Competition 2007

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:07 pm
ok. here are my thoughts on the songs. sorry if i'm too harsh or anything, but i'm just going to tell it like it is.

Ski Dude Andy-Sonic Medley

first off, the midi drums are really off-putting to me. the guitar at the beginning isn't perfect (a few notes are off), but it's pretty good. one thing that bothered me throughout the song was the instruments used (everything sounds cheesy barring the guitar) and the fact that the guitar clipped, which made it distort a bit most of the time. probably the best part is from :50 to 1:00. i don't know if i'd call this a sonic "medley" so much as it's just two songs (mostly green hill zone), but that's ok i guess!

Ian-Alex Kidd in Miracle World (acoustic)

as was said earlier, the guitar is a bit out-of-tune, but it's not unbearable. there are a couple things i don't like here, one being that the melody guitar is a bit behind on the timing sometimes and that the song as a whole is pretty simple and a bit boring :( sorry, couldn't get into this one much.

Jacko-Hangon: Rocker Rider Mix

i hear a trend! general midiesque sounds abound, but the guitar is actually pretty nice and even well-mixed in this one. it's a bit drowned out by the GM sounds most of the time. the drums aren't bad in this one (though they are a bit boring and don't really do anything interesting most of the time... it's like listening to AC/DC). around 2:00 and onward is pretty nice with the addition of the strings. i still don't really like the sounds much, but they're sounding just about as good as they're going to here. not a big fan of the sound near the end but the ending isn't bad. this is one of the better entries.

Ikram-Sleepy Phoenix

if there is one thing i don't like about SMS music in general, it is plinkiness. this song is pretty much the epitome of plink, so i can't say that i enjoyed it much... though the change at :25 is a good one. oh, and why didn't you use more than 2 squares for stuff before around :50? anyway at :50 is where it gets more interesting. the second half of the song is a lot more enjoyable than the first.. though the whole thing still sounds a bit empty.

SteveSMS-Passing Breeze

ooh, this is quite smooth. it sounds kind of like it could have been played on a genesis, and i like that a lot. this is great "sit back and relax" music. next time i go to a beach, i'm playing this. one thing i don't like so much is the snare sound you used, but it kind of fits the music, even if it is a bit weak. 1:47-1:55 is a bit too much in the high notes, but other than that, the song retains its smooth and laid-back sound throughout. this is probably my favorite entry. one thing that i wish you had kept out is the high-pitched chirp beat (whatever it is) from 3:50-4:50. it gets annoying after a bit.

Jacko/Heliophobe-Alex Kidd - Heliophobes Revival Mix

wow.

uh

ok well, your voice isn't too bad... if would have been better if you had put a lot more force behind your voice, as it sounds like you were trying to keep quiet while singing. that makes you screw up sometimes on notes where otherwise it'd be ok. also, GENERAL MIDI!!!111 though the piano sound isn't bad!

have to say the song is funny... the idea was silly but the idea of alex kidd not sounding like a whiny brat makes it funnier. he certainly has the biggest ears ever.

Aypok-2D Miracles In Hail

for the first ten seconds, i'm sitting here thinking that at any time now, Queen will come in and say "FLASH! AAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh, savior of the universe!" but then it changes drastically. you were right about the recording earlier, it isn't too great and everything just kind of mashes together. the drums are crazy (in that they're fast and mindless) but are also boring since they never change. wasn't a huge fan of this one.. making out the melody was pretty difficult.

tibone-Hitting Enter

kind of plinky, not terrible though. it's kind of boring to me though. i realize that without going CRAZY in mos2psg2 you won't get really super good results, but i was just bored nonetheless. the ending was odd too, as if it just cut off when you ran out of time or something.

tibone-Short Motif

well you were right, the motif was short! you know, there's a third square there too! also it was boring too :( i feel like a jerk saying this, but it's how i felt. this one's pretty loopable- too bad you didn't make it into a vgz and loop it up!

tibone-Stormy Changes

weird melody in this one, again, no 3-square usage, and really boring drums that do pretty much the same 1, 2, 1, 2 beat forever. this has a cutoff ending too, and could loop but it wouldn't quite go there.. at least not as well as short motif would have.

tibone-Screamin and Kicking

this is better than the last three. i like the pitchbending past :25 and even some of the melody work around :40. it actually gives the mood the song is trying to describe. things i don't like- still aren't using all three squares (why not :() and and the bass/drums are boring.

tibone-Batteries Not Included

this probably has the best-sounding guitars of any song. drums aren't bad (though the sound of them is pretty generic), and there's even some variety, especially in the fills. nice pitchbending with the guitars. i like :47-1:04's guitar work. i love the addition of the SMS sounds and the guitar pauses... great work there. some nice shredding happening at the end of minute 1 and at 2:08-2:18. it's a tough decision between this one and passing breeze. i almost think you should have stuck just with this and not made the VGMs for the compo, but the more you write, the better you get.

RushJet1's entries

all horrible

Calipo A-Pitufos Volcan stage

guitar isn't bad here, though not as good as tibone's was. i don't like a lot of background sounds in general... the classical instruments don't fit a whole lot, and the voices (weak "choir") aren't really all that great. some of the notes are just dropped likely because of their complexity, but that's not terrible in most cases. the thing i like most about this song is that it made me aware that smurfs was released on SMS, and since it's one of my favorite NES soundtracks, i tried it on SMS. it's actually pretty good on SMS (wow, i'm surprised. if there's any other music like this on SMS, point me in the direction of it!).

WHEW! that was a mouthful. or handful, since i'm typing. whatever.

sorry if i pissed anyone off with my huge post that details things i don't like about some entries!

will rate them whenever (IF???) the voting system gets put up
  • Site Admin
Vote!
Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:28 pm
Voting starts:
http://www.smspower.org/music/competition
http://www.smspower.org/music/competition/vote2007.php
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:37 pm
How long will the voting page be up?
Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:40 pm
voted
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:43 pm
Heliophobe: I'll keep it around for a week or so. I suppose that there won't be many votes after that. If you need more time for voting I suppose there's no problem allowing for more time.
Voted
Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:40 pm
I've just given my piece of contribution to the Competition. I see you guys like to talk a lot about every entry; well, I'm not an ignorant at the subject and yet all I had to do was listening, feeling and voting. So I won't be dissecting each one of the entries here; sorry...
tibone
Post Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:13 am
voted.

I really liked some of the entries.

About the criticism towards my VGM´s.

Well, this was the very first time i wrote a chiptune. Or anything that doesn´t use guitars of any kind (acoustic, electric, sampled, whatever). So yeah, i admit most of my songs in VGM are pretty boring. But i gotta say, it´s fun to write something, and hear in true SMS sound. As a long time SMS fan and collector, i was pretty excited about it. So, suggestions on how to make my vgm better, are more than welcome. Also, i can write them at work, which is an super-extra-bonus. (I can´t play guitar at work.. =( ).
But don´t feel like a jerk Rushjet, you have way more experience than me in writing chiptunes, so your input is much appreciated.
Now as to why i haven´t used the 3rd square channel, is because i couldn´t come up with cool counter melodies to use it. So i decided better to keep everything in tune than create a crappy counter-melody that would ruin the entire song. Do you have any tips on how to use the 3rd channel ? I was thinking on 1-bass, 2-melody, 3-?, 4-drums. (like a live band setting) and the 3rd would be used to rythym guitars, but since i can´t produce full chords (or even 5th´s) with 1 channel, i decided not to use it. I heard that you use it for counter-melodies and filling the spectrum up. Am i right? If so, i really i´m not creative enough for this. At least not yet.

Thanks for all the comments.
Also, the Smurfs song was rad. nice chops there, guitarist.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:20 am
RushJet,

I really do appreciate the criticism, my hangon song was generated through MIDI but it was made using reason, with its factory sound fonts. Also my Alex Kidd song was made using my piano and it actually uses XG MIDI but supports GM 1 & 2. My voice is really crappy, and the mic I was using does not do it justice either, nor was I using a compressor. The song was a half assed attempt so the end result is kinda half assed.

As for the drums in my hangon song I have the same feelings, but I could not think of anything to do with them, I myself thought the ending was a little weak, but it was a good attempt.

Anyway thanks all

Jacko
Post Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:07 pm
Things i used for Passing Breeze:

Korg K45 MIDI Keyboard
FL Studio 7 XXL Edition with various VSTi plugins (the Rhodes you're hearing is an ePiano set actually)
Korg DDD-5 MIDI DRUM machine

Thanks for the comment, RushJet, i'll take note of it.
Also, to be honest, i don't really like the submissions this year.
Except for RushJet's, Heliophobe's and Jacko's submissions.

Excellent VGM's, RushJet!
I REALLY enjoy the pun in the alex kidd song by Jacko and Heliophobe.
Also, the Hang On song by Jacko is top-notch.

Greetings,

Steve
Post Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:45 pm
Hey guys.
In response to the comments made on my submission I just want to say in my defense, that I've never recorded anything before and have little music experience. I just picked my guitar and recorded with a cheap mic and crudely put it together with an old version of Audacity. So I won't be taking offense to any comments. I just thought I'd have a go.
Nice work to all of the other entrants. Good luck!
Post Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:44 pm
ian wrote
Hey guys.
In response to the comments made on my submission I just want to say in my defense, that I've never recorded anything before and have little music experience. I just picked my guitar and recorded with a cheap mic and crudely put it together with an old version of Audacity. So I won't be taking offense to any comments. I just thought I'd have a go.
Nice work to all of the other entrants. Good luck!

Well, Ian, we don't say this to step on your foot.
Just telling my opinion, and to be honest, your guitar was out of tune.
That doesn't mean you can't play guitar, because you can. If you guitar was tuned, it would sound great :)

Just my 2 cents.
Post Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:00 pm
tibone wrote

Now as to why i haven´t used the 3rd square channel, is because i couldn´t come up with cool counter melodies to use it. So i decided better to keep everything in tune than create a crappy counter-melody that would ruin the entire song. Do you have any tips on how to use the 3rd channel ?

I'm no musician, but why not just "detune" the melody or bass line using the extra channel?
  • Site Admin
Fix
Post Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:06 pm
I added tags to tibone's VGM entries, as a workaround for in_vgm 0.34 which does crash if the file has no tag.
Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:36 pm
Hey!

Damn, I forgot to send my entries.
And never had time to do a metal entry as I did last year.

But anyway, I must say I liked alot of the entries this year!
And it seems I started off some rock/metal wave last year?
As there was a few metal/rock entries this year,
wich all where good!

Good luck to all who entered
And I will see if I remember to enter next year.

PS, Calipo A?
Your entry reminded me about a norwegian black metal band in style!
Awesome! :).

Peder Johnsen.
Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:52 pm
Peder Johnsen wrote
But anyway, I must say I liked alot of the entries this year!
And it seems I started off some rock/metal wave last year?
As there was a few metal/rock entries this year,
wich all where good!

Yeah, it's great to hear so many rock/metal tracks! I wanted to submit one last year, but ran out of time due to my coding entry. Oh well. :)

Jacko wrote
Aypok, your entry was actually rather cool but for me it was a little too loud and could have benefited from some different drumming styles as you progressed through the song.

Thanks dude. You're right, though - the drumming varies infrequently. There are slight changes to the bass drum pattern (it basically speeds up), but it's drowned out by noise. I have always been terrible at writing drum tracks. :)

RushJet1 wrote
for the first ten seconds, i'm sitting here thinking that at any time now, Queen will come in and say "FLASH! AAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh, savior of the universe!"

You're the second person to mention that. I swear that I've never heard that Queen song (not that I recall, at least)!

Once again; sorry for the quality - I really need to get better equipment, since I'm recording new songs all the time (yeah, they're all that bad). Just be thankful that I didn't submit my first idea - imagine the band Regurgitate playing a gig in a bin, then recording it onto a broken dictaphone. :P

Great stuff guys - there are some nice songs there. I have to say that my fave is tibone's Batteries Not Included. Really great stuff. As was Calipo A's Pitufos Volcan stage and Jacko's Hangon: Rocker Rider Mix.
Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:30 am
Yeah, damn Calipo A! I can't stop listening to his song, now... :-(
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:33 pm
Bock wrote
Heliophobe: I'll keep it around for a week or so. I suppose that there won't be many votes after that. If you need more time for voting I suppose there's no problem allowing for more time.

I'll probably vote this weekend, if you don't mind keeping it up that long.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:24 pm
Heliophobe wrote
Bock wrote

I'll probably vote this weekend, if you don't mind keeping it up that long.

Not doing something for a certain amount of time is something I know I can handle.
Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:38 pm
So Bock I think its about time I throw the question out, when does voting close and results get posted, I for one are beginning to get impatient as I know a few other people are, i am anxious to see the results, please post them ASAP.

Thanks,
Scott
Post Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:40 pm
I have to agree with Jacko..

Please, let us know the results.

Thank you!

-Steve
Post Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:22 am
weee want results!
Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:16 pm
RushJet1 wrote
weee want results!

And weee wan' em' now!!!

Lets start a riot.

No seriously I sent an email to Maxim, so we will see what happens
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:27 pm
I'll post the result as soon as possible.

Everyone wins!!
Post Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:12 pm
something tells me there will be approximately 1,048,576 votes
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:33 pm
Actually we got twice as much.
Post Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:45 pm
RushJet1 wrote
something tells me there will be approximately 1,048,576 votes

Did you just multiply last years votes by 2 to get that figure RushJet?

Also that means from what Bock said nearly 2 million votes, that twice the population of Adelaide that is a s**t load of votes.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:29 pm
Do we have to start using this graphic?
352.gif (1.81 KB)
352.gif

Post Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:06 am
Yes I think we do Maxim, LOL
Post Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:24 pm
RushJet1 wrote
something tells me there will be approximately 2^20 votes

Bock wrote
Actually we got 2^21.

Honestly, is this contest rigged?

Haha, I think he's calculated these numbers based on the fact that a person will cast a vote for each song rather than the set of all songs.
Post Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:46 am
DMEnduro wrote
Honestly, is this contest rigged?

damnit, he's on to us!

maxim! silence him!
Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:29 pm
*SteveSMS notifies the press*
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:43 pm
I have computed and posted the results:
http://www.smspower.org/music/competition/
Pretty harsch ratings if you ask me, and with that many (18), some very decent entries are not in the top five. Don't take it too hard for those lower in the ranking, and thanks all for your contribution. Hope that this year can be even more productive. Don't hesitate to post your tunes here from time to time!

Note: as with last year, I had to discard a few "abusing" votes, due their impact with a low number of voters. Abusing vote means,eg: rating 9 to one tune and 1 to every other tunes. I also discarded voting for your own entries for those who did that, but otherwise nothing too exceptional.
Post Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:55 pm
Yay,

Well done RushJet, Steve and everyone else, this is so cool. Thanks for voting everyone.

WoooooooooHooooooooo!!!

Don't worry I am a little to excited.
Post Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:57 pm
To be honest, i voted for myself, but that's because i got an error if i didn't vote... :/
I'm glad that it's not accounted for ;)

For the rest, i just voted what i thought about it.
Post Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:29 am
Well long time no posting,

I noticed my brother [Jacko] won the competition!!!

Well done!!!
Post Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:16 pm
for those of you who liked "out somewhere"

http://nsf.4x86.com/nsfs/Out_There.nsf
http://nsf.4x86.com/mp3s/Out_There.mp3
Post Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:06 am
So are we doing competition prizes this year??

It does not bother me if we do, I don't really care its just my friends keep saying what did you win, what did you win.... and its really getting on my nerves.
Post Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:16 am
Well done Jacko, It was an awsome remix and deserving of the win here.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:06 pm
Sorry, there won't be any prize this year. We barely organized the contest this year, and as you notice there was no donation pool.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:08 pm
I've got another release of Picross to make, I might add something in to name-check the winners.
Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:28 am
Emuaust wrote
Well done Jacko, It was an awsome remix and deserving of the win here.

Thanks a gazillion Emu, next year I would like to team up with another musician and do a recording with real instruments so anyone who lives in Adelaide and loves this music, let me know!

At the moment I have another game remix in the process, I have just started transcribing the melody, its going to be one of the level themes from Chuck Rock 2 (the 1st level).
garry
Post Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:21 pm
Jacko wrote
I would be up for making an audio recording of Heliophobes lyrics, this is possibly the best thing I have seen all year, lol.

Did you do it then, I'd love a copy.

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:14 pm
The link's above.

http://www.smspower.org/music/competition/

"Alex Kidd - Heliophobes Revival Mix"
Post Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:21 am
i remixed ghouls and ghosts (synth remix) woul anybody like to hear a sample of it???

i also remixed golden axe 2, the magic stage with the hooded monks wer u collect the magic books and they are all by the fire???

mysta
Post Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:29 am
Yes please I would love to hear a sample of your songs.
tibone
Post Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:33 pm
So, no competition this year ?

I have some stuff i would like to done, but i usually don´t get off my ass to do it, unless there´s a deadline (thanks DoD!)

I can host the files and stuff if necessary.
But i can´t do fancy voting forms, so it would have to be through e-mail or something simpler.

Anyway, just thought i should ask.
Sorry if i´m out of line here.

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:43 pm
We're doing a competition, just probably less bell & whistle announcement.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Goto page Previous  1, 2

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!