SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Game Gear LCD Screen Issues

Reply to topic
_Maximo_
Game Gear LCD Screen Issues
Post Posted: Mon May 29, 2000 4:00 am
the biggest problem on emulating a gg is the lcd screen incompatibility right ?, well as i have noticed there's
no perfect gg emulators out there, and the best that are : Meka, and SMSPlus, dont have quite the same
look as real gg, however they both have a *amazing* sms support, well, i never had bothered anyone before
about this, but it really bothers me that i can play GG games at an amazing speed, with correct colors but
the video support not looking the same, and all that because no emulator author out there have bothered
with, i guess, i know that compatibility is the biggest issue right now on most emulators, but i really appreciate
if someone take notice of that...

GG doesnt use horizontal scanlined video..
but a vertical scanlined screen, which isnt supported by any emulator and i really think it would be nice
if i could play games as they actually do in my real gg...

i'm too sleepy to do a tech explanation right now..
maybe tomorrow..

_Maximo_

Consolemu
In addition...
Post Posted: Mon May 29, 2000 5:03 am
There's a little something in LCD screens that make them unique to any other display. Doesn't it have a light bulb or something that generates light beneath it's display? So that way you could see the display in areas where there was minimal to no light? Even though the LCD has vertical scanlines and perfectly porportional pixels, that light that's generated beneath distorts it's display, giving it a greenish-foggy kind of tint and hue when you play the games. You can really see this effect when you tilt the handheld foreward or backward at certain angles. Even if you have one of those magnafied lenses and tilt the handheld perfectly in front of you you still see those vertical black bars in between each pixel and that foggy effect. I'm not one to complain but true indeed I don't think there's an emulator in existance that properly emulates an LCD display to it's fullest. Correct me but I think you could properly emulate an LCD display by doing these 3 steps in your spare time:

1) Switch to a large video mode that supports more than 256 colors.
2) Create a rendering engine that displays either a dark grey pixel or a black pixel every other pixel.
3) Merge a white screen buffer with the main display to create a translucent effect. (I guess this could be done by getting pixel averages)

Yes, this would probably be slow. But so is Eagle, Horizontal Scanlines and all those other nifty screen enhancements.

Chris :o)

Post Posted: Mon May 29, 2000 5:54 am

> the biggest problem on emulating a gg is the lcd screen incompatibility right ?, well as i have noticed there's
> no perfect gg emulators out there, and the best that are : Meka, and SMSPlus, dont have quite the same

I've worked out a fairly decent way to compensate for the GG's
blurry display, what I do is add the RGB components of each
adjacent pixel together to blur them a bit, and then add the
RGB values for the same pixel from the *previous* frame.
This takes care of flicker in games that turn sprites on and off
every frame, like Space Harrier. The end result is pretty good,
but it's a bit slow to emulate. I'm going to include this
in the next version of SMS Plus.

> but a vertical scanlined screen, which isnt supported by any emulator and i really think it would be nice
> if i could play games as they actually do in my real gg...

Yeah, I know what you mean. You can see the same thing on
a Game Boy for instance, there's a small gap around every
pixel. I can't think of a good way to emulate this, except
for running at a very high resolution, since the gaps are
quite small in width compared to a single pixel.

And Chris was right about what he said regarding the backlit
display, a real GG is brighter in the middle and darker near
the top and bottom edges. The light goes horizontally right
along the middle of the screen, which doesn't properly light
the whole display equally. Maybe this can be emulated too. :)

vecna
Gah....
Post Posted: Mon May 29, 2000 8:50 pm
I swear... I mean, I know the 'point' of emulation is to try to be as true to the real experience as possible, but personally, I *hate* the GG screen with a passion. ^_^ I don't know why ANYONE would want to EMULATE all the ways it makes games look horrid. The only thing I could really understand emulating would be the LCD persistence, which wouldn't be too hard... but slow, yes.

- vecna

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!