SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Master System Shooters

Reply to topic
Consolemu
Master System Shooters
Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2000 8:38 pm
I've played quite a few Master System shooters but I've probably missed some along the way. Here's one ones that I've played...

Afterburner: Nice music, nice graphics, but I say the controls are a bit sluggish when it comes to turning and doing corkscrews. I still love it though.

Power Strike: Nice music, nice graphics, but I hate the way the weapon numbers fly up into the enemy ships. It makes it difficult to collect them. I also hate having to collect 50 P's just to get an average gun. I still play it. I guess I'm whipped.

Power Strike 2: Excellent graphics, crazy music, but again, those damn P's. Collect 20 and your gun will still suck.

Space Harrier: Nice graphics, responsive controls, but it's just like the Arcade version. It's repetive and boring.

Space Harrier 3D: Nice graphics, nice music, responsive controls, but I don't like the semi-3D engine they used in this one. The movement is extremely blocky and it's difficult to dodge the bullets.

Thunder Blade: Excellent music, nice graphics, pretty responsive controls, but in the 3D mode sometimes the gameplay will speed up/slow down. Otherwise, an excellent game.

Am I missing some good ones? Let me know.

Chris :o)

vecna
Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2000 2:21 am
Dear god, I can't believe you didn't list R-Type! Go download it like right now! It's probably one of top 3 all-time favorite SMS games, and an excellent shooter. the PC Engine version has better graphics, but the SMS version is still quite good.

Also, Sagaia seems decent, but I haven't played it that much.

On the Genesis, I do have Aleste and I kinda dig it. The music is cool, the graphics are nice. Re the powerups, you realize that in order for a weapon to increase in power you have to get the same type of power up in a row? ie, if you're level 1 Shields, and pick up another Shield power up, you'll be level 2 shields. But if you then pick up a Bomb power up, you'll only be level 2 bombs.

- vecna

Consolemu
Oh yeah, R-Type
Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2000 3:17 am
R-Type is nice. I hear everyone rave so heavily over that game but personally it gets boring for me. At first it's like oh, just another shooter. But then you see bigger, better enemies and then the Bosses are amazing. But it just didn't but the dazzle in my zingle. I played Sagia for a sec but I couldn't get gripped into it. I played new games and here's what i think...

Arial Assult: Descent pace and graphics but the levels are way too long. It gets boring too quickly.

Subarine Attack: Excellent Graphics, nice controls but the weapons you have suck nuts. It's difficult to aim and hit your enemies.

Chris :o)

Angus
2 more
Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2000 3:39 am
you forgot Astro Warrior! the graphics are poor, but it's a fun game! There is Action Fighter too, which can be considered a shooter i guess...

See Heliophobe's post *nt*
Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2000 10:51 am
> I've played quite a few Master System shooters but I've probably missed some along the way. Here's one ones that I've played...

> Afterburner: Nice music, nice graphics, but I say the controls are a bit sluggish when it comes to turning and doing corkscrews. I still love it though.

> Power Strike: Nice music, nice graphics, but I hate the way the weapon numbers fly up into the enemy ships. It makes it difficult to collect them. I also hate having to collect 50 P's just to get an average gun. I still play it. I guess I'm whipped.

> Power Strike 2: Excellent graphics, crazy music, but again, those damn P's. Collect 20 and your gun will still suck.

> Space Harrier: Nice graphics, responsive controls, but it's just like the Arcade version. It's repetive and boring.

> Space Harrier 3D: Nice graphics, nice music, responsive controls, but I don't like the semi-3D engine they used in this one. The movement is extremely blocky and it's difficult to dodge the bullets.

> Thunder Blade: Excellent music, nice graphics, pretty responsive controls, but in the 3D mode sometimes the gameplay will speed up/slow down. Otherwise, an excellent game.

> Am I missing some good ones? Let me know.

> Chris :o)
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!