Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Finally!

Reply to topic
Finally!
Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2000 5:34 am
Finally got it released.
I added my disassembled sources, also.
They might not be smart especially in the first case since my Z80 knowledge was, hmm, quite limited :)
In the meantime I noticed they won't run with Meka as stand alone ROM anymore *grin*
Gotta check what's wrong. Otherwise they should be the good dumps.

CLICK HERE (assuming the link will ever work)
Btw..
Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2000 5:36 am
Btw, HeroZero check if yours is the same, another, or based on the same (which would mean either one or yours is a corrupted dump).
I'll put the two others one which are more probably bad as soon as I can get the files back.
It's early in the morning there, better sleep :|
HeroZero
Re: Btw..
Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2000 7:05 am
> Btw, HeroZero check if yours is the same, another, or based on the same (which would mean either one or yours is a corrupted dump).
> I'll put the two others one which are more probably bad as soon as I can get the files back.
> It's early in the morning there, better sleep :|

OK, I did fuck up some... I have 2 of them old SMS consoles, I tried one while taking the other one apart so I could desolder the bios.
The one I played had Alex something inside but the one I took apart was a newer motherboard version and since I
never tried it, i have no idea what game i contains...

Anyway, I put my dump on the web. Its 32k and im pretty sure its a good dump.

vecna
Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2000 3:37 pm
Thank you, Zoop!

After hacking the chasms romload routine to not choke on the fact that they're only 8k, I tried them out in CHASMS. The results are ... interesting. On the US BIOS, it ran, and it displayed the initial 'SEGA Master System' logo that pops up when you turn it on every time, but then it went directly to the snail game without the little 'instruction screen' or waiting for the code to be entered. Otherwise, the snail maze game ran fine, aside also however from the fact that the top two 'status' lines also didn't show up.

The Japanese BIOS, however, didn't load at all, regardless of what nationalization setting I ran it with.

Very curious. I'll have to work on it some more, anyway... at least part of it may be the 0xc000 thing you guys were talking about.

So now... my understanding from what you've said about how the BIOS works when there is a cartridge in there is that... you put the BIOS in page 0, and begin running it, and the BIOS will put some code in the 8k RAM section, execute it, and that code pages in the ROM (via normal FFFC-FFFF bytes presumably), and begins execution at PC=0. Is this correct?

Any of you other emu authors have better luck?

- vecna

Consolemu
Haleleujah (Is that how it's spelled?)
Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2000 7:35 pm
Rejoice! The one-eyed king to the land of the blind has brought to us marvel!

Jose Manuel Delgado Mendi
Post Posted: Wed May 17, 2000 2:37 pm

Hello :)

Thanks by the BIOS release. It´s a very interesting program to analize with the debugger.

Currently I´m very busy with my exams, but i have little spare time to work on the Windows version of Calypso, called WinCalypso :).

After hack the ROM load routine (like vecna) the fact were the same: the zbios13.sms works perfectly, after the logo you can play the snail game. The Japanese BIOS don´t work at all.

Saludos,

Jose Manuel

vecna
Post Posted: Wed May 17, 2000 5:04 pm
> After hack the ROM load routine (like vecna) the fact were the same: the zbios13.sms works perfectly, after the logo you can play the snail game. The Japanese BIOS don´t work at all.

I tried to run the BIOS on as many other emulators as possible, but most died because of the ROM size. Darcnes, however, did run the BIOS, and it did the exact same thing as CHASMS and calypso. So I suspect that's just the natural effect of emulating the rest of the SMS but not the port 3Eh / C000h thingymajig.

I haven't had enough time to mess around with getting the port 3Eh stuff to work correctly yet, tho.

- vecna

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!