Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Alright, I'm sick of this...

Reply to topic
Consolemu
Alright, I'm sick of this...
Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2000 9:58 pm
At first it seemed kinda funny and cute but now it's just plain stupid. What's the problem? Is it cause I'm a newbie? Is it cause I have less experience with computers than everyone else that comes here? Is it my attitude? I've only tried to have and I've kept a positive attitude toward everyone, joking or being serious. I've respected you all, taken the time to try and understand your views and your ways of thinking and it's led to you all treating me like this? Like I'm some idiot? Like I'm some mindless sloth? Listen, the only reason why I even bother to type more than 5 words in a message is because I want everyone to understand me and where I'm comming from. But I see, unless you act like a jerk or an asshole, speak on a few things, and treat everyone else like their below you that you'll gain some respect around here. What ever the case, if I "bother" you all or I'm not enough of a jerk, then remove my biography and I'll trade information else where.

Chris

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2000 11:46 pm
> At first it seemed kinda funny and cute but now it's just plain stupid. What's the problem? Is it cause I'm a newbie? Is it cause I have less experience with computers than everyone else that comes here? Is it my attitude? I've only tried to have and I've kept a positive attitude toward everyone, joking or being serious. I've respected you all, taken the time to try and understand your views and your ways of thinking and it's led to you all treating me like this? Like I'm some idiot? Like I'm some mindless sloth? Listen, the only reason why I even bother to type more than 5 words in a message is because I want everyone to understand me and where I'm comming from. But I see, unless you act like a jerk or an asshole, speak on a few things, and treat everyone else like their below you that you'll gain some respect around here. What ever the case, if I "bother" you all or I'm not enough of a jerk, then remove my biography and I'll trade information else where.

Chris, I assume part of what you're referring to is the "Notes" column for you under the Biography main page?

Well, I've removed it and I've also removed the remark about discussing your life on the forum's main page.

I was just having a little fun with you. I didn't realize you were that sensitive about the issue. I assure you it was nothing like the things you mention in your post. Basically, I didn't want to leave that column blank, because I felt it might be a little insulting to you. I guess I picked incorrectly, huh?

Well, the problem has been resolved, and I hope you'll continue to contribute to S8-Dev (without you I think it's safe to say there'd be a lot less "personality" on this site) and that you'll allow for your biography to remain (and that you'll let me know if there's anything you'd like placed in your "Notes" column.) No hard feelings, o.k.?

Your friend,
Eric Quinn
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2000 12:47 am
> At first it seemed kinda funny and cute but now it's just plain stupid. What's the problem? Is it cause I'm a newbie? Is it cause I have less experience with computers than everyone else that comes here? Is it my attitude? I've only tried to have and I've kept a positive attitude toward everyone, joking or being serious. I've respected you all, taken the time to try and understand your views and your ways of thinking and it's led to you all treating me like this? Like I'm some idiot? Like I'm some mindless sloth? Listen, the only reason why I even bother to type more than 5 words in a message is because I want everyone to understand me and where I'm comming from. But I see, unless you act like a jerk or an asshole, speak on a few things, and treat everyone else like their below you that you'll gain some respect around here. What ever the case, if I "bother" you all or I'm not enough of a jerk, then remove my biography and I'll trade information else where.

Might I ask what brought this on? Which message was the last straw?

I'm scanning over the last few posts that were responding to or directed at you... and I guess maybe you're responding to Zoop's teasing you about not telling us your old name.
That really didn't strike me as terribly ill-natured. Just poking a bit of fun at an obvious blunder (and doing so in fractured english. stupid zoop).
And you posted about your tetris game, and nobody responded (publicly, anyway). Hey, I did look at it, meant to post something, but didn't have terribly much to say (it doesn't really concern sms development, which is my area of interest).
And I chided you for your '300%' faster statement, but it wasn't harsh, and you -definately- had that coming.
So, what was it?

To go a little deeper, though, yes, I'll admit that over the months we've been known to 'talk down' to you, as you probably think of it.
The reason for that is, Chris, sometimes you are a great big twit.

It's so hard to describe to someone who's acting like a twit what it is that makes them such a twit.

You definately remind me of a certain kind o f twit which I have known many of (nearly all named Chris too.. I'm serious, it's uncanny), the type which reads a bit about programming, learns enough assembly or c to, say, make a couple pixels move around the screen, or flash their name on the command line, or reboot the computer, etc, figure they either know or could effortly figure out all they need to about programming, and then start talking about the next great game, emulator, or operating system they're going to write (as their next project), someone never actually working on it, but always planning, and talking about it.

Or, when they do start working on it, they get stuck on something very elementary (say... pointers), and maybe over time they finally figure it out, but never manage to see how that demonstrates that they've bitten off more than they can chew, in a serious way.

Now, let me make it very clear that if, starting today, you act like a jerk and an asshole, and treat everyone like they're below you, you won't earn any extra respect from us.
Consolemu
*sniff*...So, it's all in good fun?
Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2000 4:35 am
Really? The whole time I thought you all disliked me or something. I've been taking everything the wrong way. I know it's gotta be annoying when some guy is asking simple questions that you figured out years ago and typing about his personal achievements. I figured if I busted my butt and tried really hard on a project like Tetris or researched uncanny info like the class of sound chips that I would not be just another "wanna be programmer" but prove that I've got some brains and usefullness around here..Well, ahh fuck it. I guess the only good contribution I've given everyone is a good chuckle here and there and some "personality". Well, alright, call me Mr. Personality. The one who's "Down to Earth". As long as I can keep this place active when it's dead from 0 posts for 5 or 6 days, stop all the emu authors from slitting throats over who's the "brighter" emulator programmer, then I'm useful in some way. I guess I can start unpacking my baggs...

Chris :o)

Consolemu
Oh, I see what you mean...
Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2000 4:43 am
Everyone else has done something important, like you've written an imaginary debugging system, your brother did Ages, Zoop did Meka, Riccardo did Brsms/Brmsx and tons of programs for those systems, and what have I done? Well, all that I've done is blabber, ask questions, and I haven't done anything exciting except for a lowsy Tetris. Alright, you have my blessing to remove my biography from the biographies section until I get a change to write something that makes jaws drop, like something pertaining to the Sega 8-Bit machines.

Chris :o)

Consolemu
Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2000 5:07 am
> To go a little deeper, though, yes, I'll admit that over the months we've been known to 'talk down' to you, as you probably think of it.
> The reason for that is, Chris, sometimes you are a great big twit.

Thanks

> It's so hard to describe to someone who's acting like a twit what it is that makes them such a twit.

Thanks again

> You definately remind me of a certain kind o f twit which I have known many of (nearly all named Chris too.. I'm serious, it's uncanny), the type which reads a bit about programming, learns enough assembly or c to, say, make a couple pixels move around the screen, or flash their name on the command line, or reboot the computer, etc, figure they either know or could effortly figure out all they need to about programming, and then start talking about the next great game, emulator, or operating system they're going to write (as their next project), someone never actually working on it, but always planning, and talking about it.

First of all, I don't just read a bit. I'm failing high school because I devote too much time to computers and computer books. Shit, if I totalled the cost of all the books in my closet, it would be well over $700 U.S. dollars. HTML, C, C++, Games Programming, etc. And not the "El Cheapo" Dummies books, I'm talking Teach Yourself and Microsoft shit that's pretty high.
Secondly, I know a lot more than printing pixels to the screen. Too much stuff to just pop up this instant. I don't even want to go into that.

Thirdly, I do work on things. That's another reason why I'm failing high school. I spend more time programming than doing my damn Gemeotry homework. I'm up at 1:09 A.M. talking with you fools instead of getting some sleep and going to school tomorrow. I know I'm going to be tired as fuck. Anyway, Do I have to E-mail you every demo or project that I've been working on? I hope you've got the E-mail space. The reason why I plan so much is before I would simply "jump" into stuff I didn't understand and I would crash and burn. I erased my damn HD trying to "work" on things.

> Or, when they do start working on it, they get stuck on something very elementary (say... pointers), and maybe over time they finally figure it out, but never manage to see how that demonstrates that they've bitten off more than they can chew, in a serious way.

Humm..A pointer. An indirect way to access memory. Using one type of memory to "point" to another. Say variable access offset or string data? Would you like this in C or Assembly? Which processor? Z80, 6502, 68000?

vecna
Re: *sniff*...So, it's all in good fun?
Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2000 6:22 am
Hey there Chris!

I've not been here a long time, but I'll offer my humble insight. ^_^ I don't think there was any maliciousness at all in Zoop's post, and Eric was just trying to be polite. I can't speak for everyone, and to be sure, there are some people in the emu scene with enormous egos, but that doesn't mean you have to let it bother you.

And hey -- Keeping emu authors from slitting each others throats is a VERY important service. ^_~ If I've learned anything, its to just keep doing what you enjoy doing, and there will ALWAYS be naysayers, but screw 'em. My emulator doesn't have tons of bells and whistles and a 98% perfect compatibility rate like MEKA, and it's not as fast as BrSMS or MASSAGE, and it's not a full-fledged SMS development/debugging suite - and will never be any of those. But I had, and still am having a helluva lot of fun developing it, and I think it serves a somewhat untouched audience (a well-developed windows-native SMS emu), and in that I'm happy.

When I first released the code to my first net project, the initial version of VERGE, I had a TON of people tell me how my code was CRAP. Well, screw'em. It was my first C program anyway. The fact is that a lot of people enjoyed it, and in that, it served it's purpose. I set out to do what I wanted to do, and I accomplished it. You've done the same with your Tetris homebrew ROM. Keep going. Don't give up. Ignore the naysayers. Remember that there are always people who will enjoy and benefit from your work that you will never see or hear from.

- vecna

Short comment
Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2000 6:47 am
> When I first released the code to my first net project, the initial version of VERGE, I had a TON of people tell me how my code was CRAP. Well, screw'em. It was my first C program anyway. The fact is that a lot of people enjoyed it, and in that, it served it's purpose. I set out to do what I wanted to do, and I accomplished it. You've done the same with your Tetris homebrew ROM. Keep going. Don't give up. Ignore the naysayers. Remember that there are always people who will enjoy and benefit from your work that you will never see or hear from.

Just wanted to say I fulled agreed.
psst.........
Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2000 6:51 am
> Hey there Chris!

> I've not been here a long time, but I'll offer my humble insight. ^_^ I don't think there was any maliciousness at all in Zoop's post, and Eric was just trying to be polite. I can't speak for everyone, and to be sure, there are some people in the emu scene with enormous egos, but that doesn't mean you have to let it bother you.

> And hey -- Keeping emu authors from slitting each others throats is a VERY important service. ^_~ If I've learned anything, its to just keep doing what you enjoy doing, and there will ALWAYS be naysayers, but screw 'em. My emulator doesn't have tons of bells and whistles and a 98% perfect compatibility rate like MEKA, and it's not as fast as BrSMS or MASSAGE, and it's not a full-fledged SMS development/debugging suite - and will never be any of those. But I had, and still am having a helluva lot of fun developing it, and I think it serves a somewhat untouched audience (a well-developed windows-native SMS emu), and in that I'm happy.

> When I first released the code to my first net project, the initial version of VERGE, I had a TON of people tell me how my code was CRAP. Well, screw'em. It was my first C program anyway. The fact is that a lot of people enjoyed it, and in that, it served it's purpose. I set out to do what I wanted to do, and I accomplished it. You've done the same with your Tetris homebrew ROM. Keep going. Don't give up. Ignore the naysayers. Remember that there are always people who will enjoy and benefit from your work that you will never see or hear from.

> - vecna

Psst....... Chris didn't write the ROM, he wrote a PC version....
vecna
er..
Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2000 3:12 pm
> Psst....... Chris didn't write the ROM, he wrote a PC version....

hehe.. err.. well.. like I said, I haven't been around here too long. ^_^; The point stands, tho. ^_^

- vecna

Limbs a Flyin'
Re: Oh, I see what you mean...
Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2000 3:36 pm
> and what have I done? [snip]

dont let it get to you.. i havent done anything either ;) i understand some things, but im a thinker not a do'er (ie I'm lazy :)

• Site Admin
Re: er <---- A palindrome!
Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2000 9:38 pm
> > Psst....... Chris didn't write the ROM, he wrote a PC version....

NOBODY SHALL STEAL MY THUNDER!
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2000 9:53 pm

> > It's so hard to describe to someone who's acting like a twit what it is that makes them such a twit.

> Thanks again

No prob.

> First of all, I don't just read a bit. I'm failing high school because I devote too much time to computers and computer books. Shit, if I totalled the cost of all the books in my closet, it would be well over $700 U.S. dollars. HTML, C, C++, Games Programming, etc. And not the "El Cheapo" Dummies books, I'm talking Teach Yourself and Microsoft shit that's pretty high.

I'm not so wild about the Teach Yourself books (the SAMS ones, right?) although they have the only DX7 book out right now, so far as I'm aware, so they must be doing something right.
Microsoft Press books? Generally good reading. Have you got Petzold's book?

> Secondly, I know a lot more than printing pixels to the screen. Too much stuff to just pop up this instant. I don't even want to go into that.

That was sort of an exaggeration, but the point stands. Another Chris I knew seemed to think he was destined to write the next great operating system, and thus far all he had ever really written was a dos utility that reboots the system with a new configuration file (which he insisted in writing in assembler, because "it's faster" or some such nonsense).
And the worst part was that he would go off on the existing operating systems (how stupid they are, how crappy their coders must be) and assume that his would be wonderful and free of bugs and run more efficiently, etc, because he's smart. OR something like that. And he obviously didn't know where to start with implementing that.
That is an extreme example of the sort of attitude that makes my claws unsheath.

> Thirdly, I do work on things. That's another reason why I'm failing high school. I spend more time programming than doing my damn Gemeotry homework. I'm up at 1:09 A.M. talking with you fools instead of getting some sleep and going to school tomorrow. I know I'm going to be tired as fuck. Anyway, Do I have to E-mail you every demo or project that I've been working on? I hope you've got the E-mail space. The reason why I plan so much is before I would simply "jump" into stuff I didn't understand and I would crash and burn. I erased my damn HD trying to "work" on things.

If you had said you weren't doing your history homework I could sympathize...
Do your damned Geometry!

Planning is well and good, just set reasonable goals, and work on them.

Working on your Tetris is a very good thing. However, I believe you were getting a bit sidetracked worrying about low-level keyboard access and deep-down technical things. The reason I suggested that you simply use Allegro for input and graphics is because that would free up time and effort for developing the part that really counts. Writing your own keyboard handlers would amount to researching on the proper way to read the keyboard, and implement it pretty much as written, with whatever changes are necessary for your own uses. Educational, yes, somewhat, but what you learn wouldn't have the same lasting value as actually writing tetris.
Writing the game itself is what teaches you how to approach a problem, divide it into its components, invent new algorithms to deal with them, and it also shows you how much you don't think about when you first plan your attack. Most of the roadblocks only become apparent after you've read into them headlong.

> Humm..A pointer. An indirect way to access memory. Using one type of memory to "point" to another. Say variable access offset or string data? Would you like this in C or Assembly? Which processor? Z80, 6502, 68000?

No need, I think you know what I mean.

So really, I just want set a few things straight:

1-We are not the aggresive alpha-male silverback gorillas that you make us out to be. None of us have been playing dominance games with eachother, we just tease eachother in the name of good fun. (and our humor is just as often self-depricating)

2-We seem to know when we're kidding (relates to point 1)

3-When you say something that needs to be corrected or refutes, we'll do so. Possibly in a terse manner, but that's not the same as being mean. Mr. Miyagi wasn't polite with 'Daniel-San', but he made a black belt out of him.

4-You don't need to prove yourself here. Read and post here if it the topic is something that intests you (and I gather, it is).

5-Not answering something on the grounds that it's out of your league is not snobbery.

6-Um, I'm losing sight of my original point. That's what happens when I try to post something long-winded at work, I guess. Very distracting.

7-Go do your homework.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!