SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - What happend to the...

Reply to topic
Chris
What happend to the...
Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2000 3:31 am
What ever happend to the long discussion over the Sega 8-Bit or TMS/PSG/SSF sound format? I sorta remember some people having cons to it but I PRO it 100%. I really dug the format and I thought the idea was marvelous! Deep down inside, the only reason why I play a majority of the Master System games out there is just so I could listen to the music in the game. If the music were turned off, I wouldn't even play them. I would love to hear the music from Power Strike I or II, some After Burner, some Fantasy Zone II, etc. I would like to spend some time trying to write my own sound tracer/ripper but I don't really know Z80 and I've got other priorities (A good Tetris/School Project).

Chris :o)

Nyef
Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2000 1:45 pm
> What ever happend to the long discussion over the Sega 8-Bit or TMS/PSG/SSF sound format? I sorta remember some people having cons to it but I PRO it 100%. I really dug the format and I thought the idea was marvelous! Deep down inside, the only reason why I play a majority of the Master System games out there is just so I could listen to the music in the game. If the music were turned off, I wouldn't even play them. I would love to hear the music from Power Strike I or II, some After Burner, some Fantasy Zone II, etc. I would like to spend some time trying to write my own sound tracer/ripper but I don't really know Z80 and I've got other priorities (A good Tetris/School Project).

What happened? Like most projects around here, nobody did anything with it. Perhaps I'll put it on my run queue again, perhaps not.

Actually, most of the work would be in specifying the file format, creating the first player, and ripping the first 3-4 games (maybe two would do, I'm not sure what critical mass would be for something like this). After that, you just need a central authority for checking that the rips are in spec, and other enthusiasts will take over the process of ripping the music.

Or maybe I'm being too optimistic. At any rate, I'll take another look at this tonight.

> Chris :o)

--Nyef

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!