SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Windows emu revisited

Reply to topic
vecna
Windows emu revisited
Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2000 6:17 am
Well, I've made some progress on my Windows emu, which I've tentatively named 'chasms'. I've taken a screenshot, which I've posted at http://vecna.verge-rpg.com/chasms/chasms.jpg . There's still a LOT of work to do, but since I've never coded an emu before, this screenshot makes me a happy person -- I've got a serious shot at this.

Regarding porting Calypso to windows -- I can attempt to do it, but well, this whole emu project for me started out by ATTEMPTING to port MASSAGE 0.61 to windows, and realizing it might very well be easier to code one from scratch. :) Maybe Calypso would be easier to port, I'm not sure. The thing is that there are a lot of peculiar things about Windows vs. DOS; while you can do 8-bit paletted graphics, all of the windows code I've written in the past is hicolor, and so my emulater is also hicolor. (super-eagle SMS? ... probably would be pointless, but maybe I'll try it one day. ^_^) Anyhow, I'd be willing to give it a shot, but I while I'm fairly confident in my ability to create an emu from scratch, I've not had a great track record porting stuff. For instance, DJGPP uses that freakish AT&T ASM syntax, which, while I can convert it, is a pain.

Either way, I'll release my source code when the emulator playably runs commercial ROMs and has it's first release, so if nothing else, you can attempt to port it yourself from the windows code I have. Of course, there's also Allegro, but I've never used Allegro, and don't know it's API very well.

- vecna

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2000 7:02 am
>For instance, DJGPP uses that freakish AT&T ASM syntax, which, while I can convert it, is a pain.

Intel syntax is freakish. And backwards.
AT&T is sensible. Motorola is pure beauty.

Opinions are like rectums, I guess.
Jose Manuel Delgado
Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2000 12:28 pm
OK. Good luck woth your emu. But I have some things to say to you:

I think Massage is terible for portability, since is written in strange C, without any comments, using decimal intead hexa.... I think is better to star porting Master Gear, but for opinions made the colors, like say in Spain :)

Calypso is designed with the portability in mind since the first line of code. It uses Allegro for the pure DOS version and for the GUI version, but true, it only uses ten functions: to set the graphics mode, a timer function, to paint pixels, etc... So if you want to port Calypso you have todo a "miniAllegro" port first (Only a small couple of funcntions). Since now Allegro is a multiplatform library, it not would be too difficult, but I know that make your own emulator it´s a better thing that porting other.

Saludos, and luck,

JMD

vecna
Heheh, well...
Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2000 4:57 pm
> Intel syntax is freakish. And backwards.
> AT&T is sensible. Motorola is pure beauty.
> Opinions are like rectums, I guess.

Actually, before I even learned C, I coded in straight 32-bit ASM for 2 years (intel syntax). When I first saw AT&T I was like "... what on earth is THAT." After having used it, I'll admit, there's a certain logic to it. AT&T has it's benefits, BUT, portability to non-gcc compilers isn't one of them, nor is making sense to anyone not familiar with AT&T syntax. :)

And, all those %%s and $s all over the place make AT&T look a lot more scary and unreadable than intel-syntax. If they had intel-syntax that was just with the backward parameter order and the (b,w,d) specifiers, THAT would be ideal, instead of all the other crap that goes with GCC AT&T ASM.

- vecna

Chris
Woah!!
Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2000 9:52 pm
Man! Look at that source code!! And you say you're going to publically release that? I never even knew you could write programs with that kind of syntax in C. Why did you use that kind of syntax? Where did you even learn how to write it out like that? No offense or anything but I'm curious cause I'm always willing to learn new stuff.

Chris :o)

Jose Manuel Delgado
Re: Woah!!
Post Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2000 9:13 pm
Hello :)

I can send you the Calypso source code if you want. Sorry, but comments are in Spanish.

Saludos,

JMD

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!