SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - SMS emulator for windows?

Reply to topic
vecna
SMS emulator for windows?
Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2000 6:06 am
Wow. First, let me just say that I've just in the last hour or so stumbled upon the immense SMS resource on the net like SMS Power, and am completely in awe. This is SO cool. You all are my own personal heros. ^_^

But, back to the point of my post...

I've been running Windows 2000 for the last couple of months, because Win98 is completely abhorrently unusably unstable on my system, whereas Win2k runs beautiful magically perfect. In general, I'm exceedingly happy with 2k, with the exception of the VMed DOS "simulation". Which basically means that all of the wonderful emulators like Genecyst and Massage, Meka, etc, don't work in Win2k, or if they do work, they only work without sound [win2k doesn't emulate DOS sound]. But, in the last two weeks, I tried to track down Windows-based emus for all my favorite systems. I've been able to track down free windows emus for most all of the systems I was looking for with the notable exception of the SMS (and the PCEngine). Now, I was one of those freak kids that had the SMS as a kid instead of the NES (tho I suspect I'm in similar company here;) and I got all nostalgic thinking about the glory days of the SMS (well, maybe not GLORY days here in the US, but oh well), and I decided it's a horrible, horrible tragedy that the two Windows emulators for SMS are not free.

So, my question is twofold. I know most of you are quite happy with Meka and the other SMS emus out there, but is there any interest in a Windows-native SMS emu? (I'm going to write it ANYWAY, but I'd feel better knowing I won't be alone in using it ;) Also, is anyone else working on a similar project?

Basically, my intentions are three-fold: 1) To write a windows-based, FREE, SMS emulator, with sound (since that's the only thing missing from MASSAGE in Win2k -- MEKA won't run at all in Win2k tho :/). 2) To release the source code -- There aren't enough emus with src available. Emulation benefits from the sharing of information, not hoarding it. 3) It appears that there may be more information that I found on Zophar's after all, but, when I was going through the first phases of trying to find technical information on the SMS, I found the docs available to be very lacking, incomplete, and scattered about. I hope to make a coherent, thorough tech doc to help anyone else interested in making a SMS emu.

I've already started coding this thing, and just stumbled upon this site while scouring for rarer ROMs to help compatibility-testing. I'm floored that there's still such an active community around the SMS. It's awesome. Speaking of which.. Ken S.? Azul, is that you? :o and Naf? From PSRemix and stuff?

Anyhow, I'd appreciate any input and comments. ^_^

- vecna

Jose Manuel Delgado
Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2000 11:05 am
Hello :)

If you are interested in port Calypso to Windows write me. It won´t be very difficult, because I had in mind to port them in the future, so the edsing is accorldy with portability. Write me if you want to port them to Windows, using Allegro or DirectX.

Saludos,

JMD

Nyef
Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2000 12:58 pm
> So, my question is twofold. I know most of you are quite happy with Meka and the other SMS emus out there, but is there any interest in a Windows-native SMS emu? (I'm going to write it ANYWAY, but I'd feel better knowing I won't be alone in using it ;) Also, is anyone else working on a similar project?

I'm working on a somewhat similar project. To wit, DarcNES. Among other things, it emulates the SMS/GG and the PC-Engine/TG16, and is free. Most of the source code is available (the extra code for some of the ports isn't, but the base system is). The important bit (for you) is that there is a Win32 port.

The main page is at http://www.netway.com/~nyef/
The Win32 port is at http://darcnes.overclocked.org/

Okay, enough shameless plug, back to checking for new messages on message boards. ^_^

--Nyef

Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2000 1:03 pm
> 1) To write a windows-based, FREE, SMS emulator, with sound (since that's the only thing missing from MASSAGE in Win2k -- MEKA won't run at all in Win2k tho :/).

It will run without the GUI, which use a high resolution mode by default (not available under Win2k or NT).
Eric
Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2000 5:23 pm

> So, my question is twofold. I know most of you are quite happy with Meka and the other SMS emus out there, but is there any interest in a Windows-native SMS emu? (I'm going to write it ANYWAY, but I'd feel better knowing I won't be alone in using it ;) Also, is anyone else working on a similar project?

I'm working on a Windows-native SMS/GG emulator. However, my emulator is designed for SMS/GG software development, not for playing games (it will be considerably slower than traditional emulators due to all the "debug hooks" code). The web-page is: http://home.att.net/~e-quinn/MesaDX/MesaDX.html.

> Basically, my intentions are three-fold: 1) To write a windows-based, FREE, SMS emulator, with sound (since that's the only thing missing from MASSAGE in Win2k -- MEKA won't run at all in Win2k tho :/). 2) To release the source code -- There aren't enough emus with src available. Emulation benefits from the sharing of information, not hoarding it. 3) It appears that there may be more information that I found on Zophar's after all, but, when I was going through the first phases of trying to find technical information on the SMS, I found the docs available to be very lacking, incomplete, and scattered about. I hope to make a coherent, thorough tech doc to help anyone else interested in making a SMS emu.

For what it's worth, there is also a technical documents section on this site. I believe it is the most complete source of SMS/GG technical information on the web.

Good luck with your project.

Eric Quinn

Chris
Yes! That's Exactly what I want!
Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2000 2:52 am
You're right on the money. I'm sick of using DOS-based emulators. If the program isn't having conflicts with my sound blaster hardware, it's having problems with my Sidewinder joystick. I'm not saying that I can help you, I'm busy with my own stuff, but if you do create a nice, solid Windows SMS Emu it will be very appreciated by the emu community. I've made a huge switch from DOS to Windows:

Genecyst and Kgen -> DGEN
LoopyNES -> NESTen (It keeps crashing though!)
Callus DOS -> Callus Windows
MAME DOS -> Unoffical MAME 32 Windows
VGB and NO$4GB -> REW (The new one kicks ass)

The only emulators that are missing is an easy-to-use MSX emu (I find all others, except for FMSX and BRMSX, very complicated and hard to use), an SMS Emu, and a really good SNES Emu (I'm sorry but SNES9X just can't cut it for me).

Chris :o)

Nyef
Re: Yes! That's Exactly what I want!
Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2000 1:35 pm
> The only emulators that are missing is an easy-to-use MSX emu (I find all others, except for FMSX and BRMSX, very complicated and hard to use), an SMS Emu, and a really good SNES Emu (I'm sorry but SNES9X just can't cut it for me).

What makes an MSX (or any computer, for that matter) emulator easy to use? (I already have my Apple ][ emulator mostly working, and I am looking at what to do with the UI to make it usable, and since the MSX is on my list (and may be next...), this question is rather important to me)

Are there any documents that explain exactly what goes into a "stock" MSX1? Anything that explains the available add-ons and modifications?

How different is the MSX2 from the MSX1?

How hard would it be to add MSX support to a NE^H^HCol^H^H^HSG-1000 emulator? ^_^

> Chris :o)

--Nyef

Re: Yes! That's Exactly what I want!
Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2000 3:22 pm
> Are there any documents that explain exactly what goes into a "stock" MSX1? Anything that explains the available add-ons and modifications?

Here are some handy links.
MESS has MSX1 emulator, the other pages have tech info/specifications.

http://www.msxnet.org/
http://mess.emuverse.com/
http://www.komkon.org/fms/MSX/

Michael Montague
Post Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2000 4:47 am
> Wow. First, let me just say that I've just in the last hour or so stumbled upon the immense SMS resource on the net like SMS Power, and am completely in awe. This is SO cool. You all are my own personal heros. ^_^

> But, back to the point of my post...

> I've been running Windows 2000 for the last couple of months, because Win98 is completely abhorrently unusably unstable on my system, whereas Win2k runs beautiful magically perfect. In general, I'm exceedingly happy with 2k, with the exception of the VMed DOS "simulation". Which basically means that all of the wonderful emulators like Genecyst and Massage, Meka, etc, don't work in Win2k, or if they do work, they only work without sound [win2k doesn't emulate DOS sound]. But, in the last two weeks, I tried to track down Windows-based emus for all my favorite systems. I've been able to track down free windows emus for most all of the systems I was looking for with the notable exception of the SMS (and the PCEngine). Now, I was one of those freak kids that had the SMS as a kid instead of the NES (tho I suspect I'm in similar company here;) and I got all nostalgic thinking about the glory days of the SMS (well, maybe not GLORY days here in the US, but oh well), and I decided it's a horrible, horrible tragedy that the two Windows emulators for SMS are not free.

> Basically, my intentions are three-fold: 1) To write a windows-based, FREE, SMS emulator, with sound (since that's the only thing missing from MASSAGE in Win2k -- MEKA won't run at all in Win2k tho :/). 2) To release the source code -- There aren't enough emus with src available. Emulation benefits from the sharing of information, not hoarding it. 3) It appears that there may be more information that I found on Zophar's after all, but, when I was going through the first phases of trying to find technical information on the SMS, I found the docs available to be very lacking, incomplete, and scattered about. I hope to make a coherent, thorough tech doc to help anyone else interested in making a SMS emu.

> I've already started coding this thing, and just stumbled upon this site while scouring for rarer ROMs to help compatibility-testing. I'm floored that there's still such an active community around the SMS. It's awesome. Speaking of which.. Ken S.? Azul, is that you? :o and Naf? From PSRemix and stuff?

>
> Anyhow, I'd appreciate any input and comments. ^_^

And while everyone is pimping there emulators. ;)

I have one written natively for Win32. It runs pretty nice since you can do full screen 1024x768 with no slow down. It's interesting to see bilinear filtered SMS games.

Anyway, I stopped working on it due to my lack of interest in coding the GUI. I'd love to finish it off if others were interested. :)

- Mike

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!