SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Fedora, Meka and a litte thing called "problem"

Reply to topic
tomman
Fedora, Meka and a litte thing called "problem"
Post Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:58 pm
This is my first post here, although some of here may know me from Sega Emulation Forums.

OK, the problem is this: I recently installed Fedora Core 4 on my laptop (a HP Compaq nx9010), and after compiling some favorite emulators with no problems (Gens, ZSNES...), i decided to try MEKA under Linux (i already use it on Windows with no problems). Since current Mekanix build is old (v0.70), i downloaded the sources and tried to compile. No luck... i got the annoying ASM&HQ2X issues when compiling, i tried with the fixes of the "Problem Compiling" thread, compiled Allegro with "--enable-static", fixed a minor issue with SEAL install... i just got a looooong list of errors with the linker (most from hq2x)

Now i tried with the latest 0.72 WIP sources (2005-11-20), and it compiles with no problems... and then problems appear: if i choose "1: Linux Voxware", emulator runs with sound, but it quickly hangs after loading the GUI, running VEEEERY slow, forcing me to kill the process from another console. If i run with no sound, everything runs fine. What's happening there? I've read that Mekanix does not like Fedora, but i really want to run it! (and don't be forced to use MekaW with Wine....)

Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:30 am
tomman wrote
Now i tried with the latest 0.72 WIP sources (2005-11-20), and it compiles with no problems... and then problems appear: if i choose "1: Linux Voxware", emulator runs with sound, but it quickly hangs after loading the GUI, running VEEEERY slow, forcing me to kill the process from another console. If i run with no sound, everything runs fine. What's happening there? I've read that Mekanix does not like Fedora, but i really want to run it! (and don't be forced to use MekaW with Wine....)

I think that's normal. Meka doesn't give sound at a useable speed on Linux - full stop. It does the very same thing on my Slackware, Ubuntu and Fedora boxen, as well as on friends' Debian, Ubuntu, Gentoo and Fedora boxen. On every system (over a dozen so far), Meka had to be set to "silent" to run properly. They're not slow systems, either.

Bock does mention something along those lines (sound problems) in the readme (the Unix documentation, IIRC), saying it's being worked on.
Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:54 pm
It seems that I was able to fix my problem with Meka - I can now get sound.

I was previously using precompiled binaries of some things it relies on, but when I was compiling Meka 0.72, it didn't like those (a problem I didn't run into on my other systems). I recompiled and installed the latest versions of Seal and Allegro - when I got Meka up and running I had sound.

The sound isn't perfectly clear and there is a one second delay (as mentioned in the docs), but it does work. The distro I am using is Slackware 10.0 - I have yet to try fixing it on my Fedora and Ubuntu systems.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!