SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Colour Gameboy

Reply to topic
Poseidon
Colour Gameboy
Post Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2000 6:22 am
Sorry, but I'm moving off SMS dev and into Colour Gameboy dev as I can actually sell what I do, and it is relevent today, not 12 years ago. I think you guys should keep up with the time. Where is all your effort going with the SMS?

Post Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2000 6:48 am
> Sorry, but I'm moving off SMS dev and into Colour Gameboy dev as I can actually sell what I do, and it is relevent today, not 12 years ago. I think you guys should keep up with the time. Where is all your effort going with the SMS?

Fun.
Good luck earning money with your Gameboy stuff. Haha
Chris
How this place helps
Post Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2000 1:01 pm
> Sorry, but I'm moving off SMS dev and into Colour Gameboy dev as I can actually sell what I do, and it is relevent today, not 12 years ago. I think you guys should keep up with the time. Where is all your effort going with the SMS?

Since you gotta be so rude about things, don't you know
that the Gameboy Color was strictly a business and
selling proposition? Only the top programmers who work
for companies that are lisensed with Ni****do get
paid for it. What are you going to do? Build your
own company from the ground up, just to do Gameboy
games? By then, GBC would've been long dead. Don't
even think about sending resume's over the internet
or working for some wattered down company. Gameboy
Color sucks. It's an overpriced, overrated hunk
of vintage hardware. I have yet to see an original
game been made for that system. 85% of the games
are spin offs to other games. Duke Nukem on the
GB!!?? Street Fighter Alpha!!?? Ghosts 'n Goblins!!??
Tarzan looks just like the Jungle Book that came
out a number of years ago. Mario Bros Deluxe is
the same old routine. Ready 2 Rumble!!?? Knockout
Kings!!?? Speedy Gonzalez is a good kiddy Sonic
clone.

Anyway, don't come in here talking all that shit.
If you want to work for the whack ass Gameboy Color,
be my guest. Mabye you'll make some money from the
parents of today who'll buy your game for their
3 year old. If you had any sense at all, you would
know that the type of information that goes through
this place is beneficial for all systems. Sure,
the SMS is an old system and it doesn't sell anymore,
but I from the stuff I've learned in here, I could
almost go write my own Gameboy Color, Neo Geo Pocket,
or whatever kind of game on my own. And, with my
own knowledge of Windows and DOS, I could write my
own diagnostics and development tools from scratch
and use them for creating my games. Why I haven't
done this yet? I'm a lazy bastard who's not interested
in the whack handhelds of today.

PS. The Gameboy Color and the SMS use the same CPU.
Tells you somethin', doesn't it?

Chris :o|

Keilin Silverfox
Re: Gameboy Color
Post Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2000 1:32 pm

The SMS may be dead (commercially) in the USA, but I seem to recall hearing its still popular in places like Brazil. That aside, heres one really good thing that people get out of programming the SMS:

Fun.

I totally agree with what Chris says about the GBC... Bleh. I actually went out and bought one of them because my old B&W (more like Green&White X_X) was hard to see. Aside from the better screen, it really isnt *THAT* much of an improvement... I mean, sure, its now a color portable, but can you say "Game Gear"? That did it years ago, and did it *better*, with a backlit (and bigger) screen, better sound, and even a TV tuner, in case you wanted to catch some TV on a long road trip or during a power outage (which is what my family used it for after the 1994 Northridge quake). And a convertor to give it the ability to play SMS games as well :). If it wasnt so battery-hungry, it probably could have won the portable war.

Most of the crap that comes out on the GBC today is just that: Crap. Mediocre remakes of games that have already been done on the system anyway. Although I do think that Super Mario Bros. Deluxe was pretty cool, but it was a bit too easy. Aside from the graphical improvements, how has the GBC really made things better? Wheres the originality? Where, might I ask, is the fun?

OK. Done ranting now ^_^

Nyef
Post Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2000 3:09 pm
> I totally agree with what Chris says about the GBC... Bleh. I actually went out and bought one of them because my old B&W (more like Green&White X_X) was hard to see. Aside from the better screen, it really isnt *THAT* much of an improvement... I mean, sure, its now a color portable, but can you say "Game Gear"? That did it years ago, and did it *better*, with a backlit (and bigger) screen, better sound, and even a TV tuner, in case you wanted to catch some TV on a long road trip or during a power outage (which is what my family used it for after the 1994 Northridge quake). And a convertor to give it the ability to play SMS games as well :). If it wasnt so battery-hungry, it probably could have won the portable war.

No, if battery-hungyness weren't an issue, the TurboExpress would have won the war. Better display resolution, just as many colors, smaller game cards, same games as the main system (as in, use the same card in both, no adapter nessecary). sprites from 16x16 to 32x64, optional TV tuner, the works.

But then, consistent mediocrity delivered on a large scale will beat out excelence every time (see C, UNIX, McDonalds, C++, GCC, MSVC, VB, Windows, etc.).

> Most of the crap that comes out on the GBC today is just that: Crap. Mediocre remakes of games that have already been done on the system anyway. Although I do think that Super Mario Bros. Deluxe was pretty cool, but it was a bit too easy. Aside from the graphical improvements, how has the GBC really made things better? Wheres the originality? Where, might I ask, is the fun?

The originality? The fun? They're hiding. They will return only occasionally, when some company/group/person finally realizes that the mediocrity of the current crop of games can be counteracted by concentrating on having fun, not making money. They will be able to do this at most twice for any given game before betraying themselves unto mediocrity again.

> OK. Done ranting now ^_^

Done for now, but not for long. ^_^

--Nyef

Keilin Silverfox
Post Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2000 3:24 pm
> > I totally agree with what Chris says about the GBC... Bleh. I actually went out and bought one of them because my old B&W (more like Green&White X_X) was hard to see. Aside from the better screen, it really isnt *THAT* much of an improvement... I mean, sure, its now a color portable, but can you say "Game Gear"? That did it years ago, and did it *better*, with a backlit (and bigger) screen, better sound, and even a TV tuner, in case you wanted to catch some TV on a long road trip or during a power outage (which is what my family used it for after the 1994 Northridge quake). And a convertor to give it the ability to play SMS games as well :). If it wasnt so battery-hungry, it probably could have won the portable war.

> No, if battery-hungyness weren't an issue, the TurboExpress would have won the war. Better display resolution, just as many colors, smaller game cards, same games as the main system (as in, use the same card in both, no adapter nessecary). sprites from 16x16 to 32x64, optional TV tuner, the works.

True, but you forget one problem the Turbo Express had: Its games were all designed to be played on a TV. Better not play any games where the text you see on screen is important, cause its a bitch to read on that tiny screen :P Not that it doesnt kick the shit outta the GBC :)

> But then, consistent mediocrity delivered on a large scale will beat out excelence every time (see C, UNIX, McDonalds, C++, GCC, MSVC, VB, Windows, etc.).

And whats wrong with UNIX, eh? :P

> > Most of the crap that comes out on the GBC today is just that: Crap. Mediocre remakes of games that have already been done on the system anyway. Although I do think that Super Mario Bros. Deluxe was pretty cool, but it was a bit too easy. Aside from the graphical improvements, how has the GBC really made things better? Wheres the originality? Where, might I ask, is the fun?

> The originality? The fun? They're hiding. They will return only occasionally, when some company/group/person finally realizes that the mediocrity of the current crop of games can be counteracted by concentrating on having fun, not making money. They will be able to do this at most twice for any given game before betraying themselves unto mediocrity again.

> > OK. Done ranting now ^_^

> Done for now, but not for long. ^_^

> --Nyef

Nyef
Post Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2000 3:41 pm
> True, but you forget one problem the Turbo Express had: Its games were all designed to be played on a TV. Better not play any games where the text you see on screen is important, cause its a bitch to read on that tiny screen :P Not that it doesnt kick the shit outta the GBC :)

Bah. Who needs text? We just need Blazing Lazers. ^_^

> > But then, consistent mediocrity delivered on a large scale will beat out excelence every time (see C, UNIX, McDonalds, C++, GCC, MSVC, VB, Windows, etc.).

> And whats wrong with UNIX, eh? :P

Nothing. It's worse, therefore it's better (go read the bit RPG wrote on the subject, jwz.org has a copy in the doc section).

In fact, the main differences between UNIX and Windows as far as I'm concerned are that it's easier to get a compiler for UNIX, and that UNIX types like their system stability more than the Windows types.

--Nyef

Poseidon
That got you all fired up!!!
Post Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2000 4:29 am
That got you all fired up!!!

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!