Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - SMS store display/Kiosk/POP display for sale on ebay

Reply to topic
SMS store display/Kiosk/POP display for sale on ebay
Post Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:09 pm
Hi. New user here. Just wanted to announce my listing on ebay. Same ID as here, UnderGroundStudios. It has less than 3 days left. Also, I'll be taking some nominal pictures of the system BUT if the people who run this site want more info I'd be glad to help. I can take more, specific pictures and supply more info to the best of my limited knowledge. LMK
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8231748181
Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:19 am
Hello,

Welcome to the forums.

If you are wanting to contact the site administrators, you can use the message boards personal message feature. The two people who you would need to contact are Bock or Maxim. I am sure they would be interested in your item.

Thanks

Jacko
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:11 am
Thank for your post.
May you be able to open a few of the "heavier" cartridges and see if that are standard ROM chips or EPROM? EPROM are recognizable, having a little window in the middle. Most of the time the window is covered by a sticker. So basically if the cartridges have stickers on chips they are likely EPROM.

This is how an EPROM chip look:
http://images.google.fr/images?q=tbn:IGOitCJywjcJ:www.atariage.com/store/images/...

Knowing this would affect my (and probably other) bidding.
To let you know, $999 seems excessive. I won 2 of these from eBay for $200 each some time ago. People may be willing to put more today, but $999 is excessive.
Thanks for the response
Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:51 pm
Bock wrote
Thank for your post.
May you be able to open a few of the "heavier" cartridges and see if that are standard ROM chips or EPROM? EPROM are recognizable, having a little window in the middle. Most of the time the window is covered by a sticker. So basically if the cartridges have stickers on chips they are likely EPROM.

This is how an EPROM chip look:
http://images.google.fr/images?q=tbn:IGOitCJywjcJ:www.atariage.com/store/images/...

Knowing this would affect my (and probably other) bidding.
To let you know, $999 seems excessive. I won 2 of these from eBay for $200 each some time ago. People may be willing to put more today, but $999 is excessive.

That $1000 buy it now was just on a whim. Since ebay frowns on telling what the reserve is, I usually put the buy it now price at twice the reserve. It's my way of letting the ebay users know without violating ebay's policies. I may open those little puppies up and see if they are Eproms as you suggest. Is there any particular picture/shot that smspower.org would like to see before I sell this puppy? I don't know how long I'm going to have it, and I like to help out informative websites like this while I can. Thanks again!
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:37 pm
If they are EPROM, pictures of the cartridge board/EPROMs could be useful (sometimes they shows a checksum which can be useful to us).

If they are EPROM and you don't sell the lot at reserve price you may want to sell the cartridge and machine separately (I know that I would buy the cartridges, but I would not put $500 on the whole lot).

Else, be assured that I'll go and harass the buyer forever to get the cartridges dumped :)

May I ask, where did you got this unit from?
Any story is nice to hear.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:38 pm
We're pretty well covered for pictures.

FYI, the input ports are almost certainly two sets wired in parallel (so the pad and light phaser could go in together), but that's still a plus point (no need to re-plug anything). The extra two you said look like mic ports are probably for the 3-D glasses, again wired in parallel and making this the only non-custom hardware to support 2-player 3-D games. Then again, that's why Sega didn't make 2-player 3-D games... you couldn't play them. Also note that in the upper section you seem to have three card ports, with space on the board for a load more card ports that weren't used, perhaps implying this is a later model. It may be that you have to remove the cart when using the corresponding card port.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:00 pm
One of my unit actually have 16 card ports (!) in addition to the 16 cartridges ports:
http://www.smspower.org/misc/sms_store_display_unit/sms_store_display_units-10.j...

But then, I got this one from Clint Dyer who worked at Sega, maybe it's a prototype. Every other found on eBay where 16/3.

From what I remember, the BIOS does a detection (similar to retail SMS BIOSes) to select card/cartridge port, so you can really have 16 games at most playable on the system.
my story
Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:01 pm
Yes, it does seem to have 3 extra 'expansion' slots. I haven't tried them but it probably works like you say. I have opened all 16 carts found within the SMS display unit. I'll scan the contents (hopefully) so that you can see the name of the game plus the guts of the cart. My guess is that most if not all of these came out of regular cartridge boxes because a few of the stickers/labels are 'peeled back' a bit in just the right places. Say, when you bought one of these do you remember what shipping you had to pay? That's if it came fromt the US. I have a potential UK buyer who wants to know exact shipping. I'm just wondering. Anyway those added pics will be up soon; I'm taking a break from Calculus to scan them.</p>
OH, as far as where I got it. Well I saw one of these years ago in a local flea market along the highway between Cincinnati and Dayton (ohio). It disappeared, then years later one appeared at the flea market across the highway from the other flea market. The owner of that shop says it isn't the same one from years ago; that he got it from his distributor within the past 6 months. So either that distributor is the guy I used to know years ago and is no longer selling video games by the piece, or this is just an odd coincidence. Either way, it's been kept out of the cigarette smoke. Both flea markets are non-smoking which helps keep sensitive equipment from getting ruined by smoke.
  • Site Admin
Re: my story
Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:11 pm
undergroundstudios wrote
Say, when you bought one of these do you remember what shipping you had to pay?

I paid something around $50/60 for surface shipping to Paris. Was years ago so it may have changed.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!