Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - What about this...

Reply to topic
What about this...
Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2001 5:01 pm
Hi guys, its a long time since my last post, but I still read all the forums every week. I am really enjoying your work :-)

What about a tool to convert WAV files to VGZ?? So we can record the musics from the real console. We know the real is always better than the virtual! :-)

PD
  • Site Admin
I'm leaving the task to Maxim to reply :-) *nt*
Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2001 6:55 pm
> Hi guys, its a long time since my last post, but I still read all the forums every week. I am really enjoying your work :-)

> What about a tool to convert WAV files to VGZ?? So we can record the musics from the real console. We know the real is always better than the virtual! :-)

> PD
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2001 9:46 pm
> What about a tool to convert WAV files to VGZ?? So we can record the musics from the real console. We know the real is always better than the virtual! :-)

Let me tell you why Bock left it to me to answer... because such a task would be insanely difficult to do. Like, on a scale of 1 to 10, emulating a PSG is 2, emulating an FM chip is 8, and this task is 4,972.

There are utilities which can analyse a WAV file and convert it to a MIDI (approximately the same kind of task as you are asking), but even they can only handle one channel at once. Basically, the human ear and brain make a highly advanced real-time audio processing computer, far in advance of any computer, and even then, I sometimes find it hard to hear any separation when two notes are played together (erm, I don't know the term... when one's an exact number of octaves above the other). If you really want the real thing, MP3 (or WMA, OGG, whatever, a perceptual waveform compressor) is the way to go.

Maxim
Post Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2001 2:13 pm
>I sometimes find it hard to hear any separation when two notes are played together (erm, I don't know the term... when one's an exact number of octaves above the other).

I think you mean that you find it hard to define any interval relationship between two notes.. such as a C and a G, which is a Perfect Fifth (P5)

Which, interestingly enough, isn't a Perfect fifth.. a true Perfect fifth has a frequency relationship of 2:3
So, A (220Hz) and a E-slightly-sharp (330Hz) makes up a real Perfect Fifth interval, whereas conventional piano tuning has the freuencies as A (220Hz) and E (329.628Hz)

Not much difference.. but load up Cool Edit 2000 and check for yourself..

Right.. now you've had my impromtu lesson on Just Intonation, you are now all qualified to go and listen to La Monte Young's The Well-Tuned Piano (all five hors of it.. on glorious vinyl)

~unfnknblvbl (got a bit carried away)
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!