SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Since it's so quit here....any asm folk

Reply to topic
Naflign
Since it's so quit here....any asm folk
Post Posted: Thu Oct 14, 1999 8:41 am
I just signed up with a translation group working on the game gear game, Lunar Strolling School. Really the only problem we've had is the same one most translations suffer from, lack of space in the rom for text. When I joined up, I managed to clean up the grammer while maintaing the amount of dialoauge that they'd managed to fit in....but still I know everyone would be happier if all the dialouge could be fit in, Rebecca(the PS compendium/airship of vain translation Rebecca :) did a great job of translating it, and thus it's a real shame to have to give a readers digest treatment.

I don't really expect that anyone here who knows asm would really be wanting to try to give us more space to work with, considering that pretty much everyone translating a game wants the same thing, but I also figured it couldn't hurt to ask :P

*jumps back into shamed lurking mode :)

Nyef
Post Posted: Thu Oct 14, 1999 1:49 pm
> I just signed up with a translation group working on the game gear game, Lunar Strolling School. Really the only problem we've had is the same one most translations suffer from, lack of space in the rom for text. When I joined up, I managed to clean up the grammer while maintaing the amount of dialoauge that they'd managed to fit in....but still I know everyone would be happier if all the dialouge could be fit in, Rebecca(the PS compendium/airship of vain translation Rebecca :) did a great job of translating it, and thus it's a real shame to have to give a readers digest treatment.

"Lunar Strolling School"? If you are referring to "Mahou Gakuen Lunar", I'm going to be upset...

Is this lack of space a screen space issue, a rom space issue, or both? (just making sure...)

> I don't really expect that anyone here who knows asm would really be wanting to try to give us more space to work with, considering that pretty much everyone translating a game wants the same thing, but I also figured it couldn't hurt to ask :P

I'll think about it. Especially since the Lunar games were so great. :-)

> *jumps back into shamed lurking mode :)

GET BACK HERE! :-)

--Nyef

Naflign
Post Posted: Thu Oct 14, 1999 5:53 pm
> "Lunar Strolling School"? If you are referring to "Mahou Gakuen Lunar", I'm going to be upset...

Kind of ^_^ As I understand it, the gg version was called walking/strolling school, and the later game, loosly based on it, was renamed Mahou Gakuen Lunar....but perhaps I shouldn't comment having not bothered to even try reading the title screen of the gg game....one look at even that simple kanji at the end of the title allways sends me running ^^

You're not by some miricle a fan of the saturn Mahou Gakuen are you? 0_o I've found those to be amazingly few ;{ Myself, playing that game is one of my main reasons for learning Japanese, and I'm quite impressed with the story and dialouge in it so far! Really a shame the game was never translated, the combat rate is just a tad too high, but the combat is also amazingly fun, especially with the tons of spells!

I'm really amazed at how different the two versions are though, I thought a lot of changes had been done to SS in conversion for the psx, but it's nothing compared to magic school lunar! 0_o Tha nkfully, in both versions a tree is soundly kicked by Lena...that is of utmost importence ^_^

> Is this lack of space a screen space issue, a rom space issue, or both? (just making sure...)

Rom space :) You can see a bit of the dillema here in the first version of chapter one. Sorry for the non html link, I can't recall if html is supported here :)

www.naflign.simplenet.com/lunarE1.zip

I managed to improve the grammer, and make the restraints less apparent though in this one

www.naflign.simplent.com/reblun2.zip

Still though, it's extreamly lacking when compared to what Rebecca has done. She's made a nicely formated .txt version of the script dump in english on her page
http://home.att.net/~RCgamusic/trans.htm

> I'll think about it. Especially since the Lunar games were so great. :-)

Yes, in my humble opinion, they, along with the equally great Phantasy Star games are the best series that was ever made ^_^

> > *jumps back into shamed lurking mode :)

> GET BACK HERE! :-)

Oh, well, if I've been ordered to ^^

Nyef
Post Posted: Thu Oct 14, 1999 7:05 pm
> > "Lunar Strolling School"? If you are referring to "Mahou Gakuen Lunar", I'm going to be upset...

> Kind of ^_^ As I understand it, the gg version was called walking/strolling school, and the later game, loosly based on it, was renamed Mahou Gakuen Lunar....but perhaps I shouldn't comment having not bothered to even try reading the title screen of the gg game....one look at even that simple kanji at the end of the title allways sends me running ^^

Interesting. I always thought it was Magic School, but I guess not...

> You're not by some miricle a fan of the saturn Mahou Gakuen are you? 0_o I've found those to be amazingly few ;{ Myself, playing that game is one of my main reasons for learning Japanese, and I'm quite impressed with the story and dialouge in it so far! Really a shame the game was never translated, the combat rate is just a tad too high, but the combat is also amazingly fun, especially with the tons of spells!

I wish I was. I haven't been able to procure a copy yet. I have a Saturn Fan magazine with an article on it, though, and the manga series...

> I'm really amazed at how different the two versions are though, I thought a lot of changes had been done to SS in conversion for the psx, but it's nothing compared to magic school lunar! 0_o Tha nkfully, in both versions a tree is soundly kicked by Lena...that is of utmost importence ^_^

Yeah, they tend to fix a lot of stuff when they move to a newer system while keeping the important bits, don't they?

> > Is this lack of space a screen space issue, a rom space issue, or both? (just making sure...)

> Rom space :) You can see a bit of the dillema here in the first version of chapter one. Sorry for the non html link, I can't recall if html is supported here :)

Interesting. The rom is already 4 megabits, which is the same size as phantasy star. I don't know of any reason why an 8-megabit rom wouldn't be feasable, though.

I just took a look with Meka, and I'm quite impressed with this game. It has better handling of the video memory than PS1 did, and so on...

I'll take a proper look at this tonight, when I have access to my full toolkit.

> > I'll think about it. Especially since the Lunar games were so great. :-)

> Yes, in my humble opinion, they, along with the equally great Phantasy Star games are the best series that was ever made ^_^

Indeed. They are some of the few RPGs that I bother to replay every once in a while.

> > > *jumps back into shamed lurking mode :)

> > GET BACK HERE! :-)

> Oh, well, if I've been ordered to ^^

Nyef
Post Posted: Fri Oct 15, 1999 2:50 pm
> I'll take a proper look at this tonight, when I have access to my full toolkit.

Oops. Remind me not to say stuff like that in the future.

Last night I managed to remind myself of how bad my full toolkit is, some of the major deficiencies of DarcNES, and how much work it would be to fix everything.

On the other hand, I did come up with a pile of ideas as to what I need for a good toolkit, so I'll probably work on that for a while.

--Nyef

Naflign
Post Posted: Fri Oct 15, 1999 9:54 pm

> > I'll take a proper look at this tonight, when I have access to my full toolkit.

> Oops. Remind me not to say stuff like that in the future.

> Last night I managed to remind myself of how bad my full toolkit is, some of the major deficiencies of DarcNES, and how much work it would be to fix everything.

Lol, that sounds scarily like what I often do ^^ Well, with less advanced programs to be sure though ;)

> On the other hand, I did come up with a pile of ideas as to what I need for a good toolkit, so I'll probably work on that for a while.

Oh, no problem ^_^ Do you think the offer to attempt to expand the lunar rom might still hold in the future when this is done? In any case, thanks for even thinking of it!

Oh, by the way, I'm horribly obessed with magical school lunar, and run across it for sale every now and then at import shops while searching for japanese walkthroughs to it. I can keep an eye out for one if you'd like, and give you a shout when and if I find it. It's really a fantastic game in terms of dialouge and plot, with the added bonus of great voice acting and anime scenes ^^ Plus, for me at least, it's been invaluable for learning Japanese. ^_^

PS: ACK!!! DarkNES!! I knew I recognised your name from somewhere! I'd like to congratulate you on doing such an amazing job with it! I just wish emulation sites would stop listing it as only a nes emu GRRRRRR.

PPS: Sorry for the rather disjointed speech....I'm going on one hour of sleep, yuck ;{

Nyef
Post Posted: Sat Oct 16, 1999 12:41 am
> > On the other hand, I did come up with a pile of ideas as to what I need for a good toolkit, so I'll probably work on that for a while.

> Oh, no problem ^_^ Do you think the offer to attempt to expand the lunar rom might still hold in the future when this is done? In any case, thanks for even thinking of it!

Oh, yes. I can think of a number of things I want to try with this game, and seeing it translated is one of them. :-)

> Oh, by the way, I'm horribly obessed with magical school lunar, and run across it for sale every now and then at import shops while searching for japanese walkthroughs to it. I can keep an eye out for one if you'd like, and give you a shout when and if I find it. It's really a fantastic game in terms of dialouge and plot, with the added bonus of great voice acting and anime scenes ^^ Plus, for me at least, it's been invaluable for learning Japanese. ^_^

Sure. If worst comes to worst, and you're on the other side of the continent, there's always UPS, right? :-)

> PS: ACK!!! DarkNES!! I knew I recognised your name from somewhere! I'd like to congratulate you on doing such an amazing job with it! I just wish emulation sites would stop listing it as only a nes emu GRRRRRR.

Thanks. ^_^

And, yeah, that's one of my pet peeves, too. Another one is when a site puts it in a "Multi-System" emulator section, and then doesn't link to it from the individual system sections, but does have a separate page for the MESS, and links that from the system pages. You know the site I mean...

One site that actually did a good job in that respect is Archaic Ruins. I was actually quite pleased at what they did.

> PPS: Sorry for the rather disjointed speech....I'm going on one hour of sleep, yuck ;{

It's not that disjointed. I've seen much worse from people without that excuse. :-)

--Nyef

Naflign
Post Posted: Sat Oct 16, 1999 6:00 pm

> > > On the other hand, I did come up with a pile of ideas as to what I need for a good toolkit, so I'll probably work on that for a while.

> > Oh, no problem ^_^ Do you think the offer to attempt to expand the lunar rom might still hold in the future when this is done? In any case, thanks for even thinking of it!

> Oh, yes. I can think of a number of things I want to try with this game, and seeing it translated is one of them. :-)

Harah!! You have no idea how estatic we are about the possibility! I've been working on the item and spell list, and ACK, getting more space in there would be such a blessing. Darn you, over efficient Japanese language! ^_^

> > Oh, by the way, I'm horribly obessed with magical school lunar, and run across it for sale every now and then at import shops while searching for japanese walkthroughs to it. I can keep an eye out for one if you'd like, and give you a shout when and if I find it. It's really a fantastic game in terms of dialouge and plot, with the added bonus of great voice acting and anime scenes ^^ Plus, for me at least, it's been invaluable for learning Japanese. ^_^

> Sure. If worst comes to worst, and you're on the other side of the continent, there's always UPS, right? :-)

lol, yah!! Getting this game to people willing to appreciate it's special charm is one of the things I'm allways really eager to do.

> And, yeah, that's one of my pet peeves, too. Another one is when a site puts it in a "Multi-System" emulator section, and then doesn't link to it from the individual system sections, but does have a separate page for the MESS, and links that from the system pages. You know the site I mean...

LOL, oh, I think I might have an idea :P I've thought about emailing them in the past, and about a few other things they've either forgot to put up, or didn't know about, but I figure they all must get so much email anyway that there's little chance of it being acted on, coming from a relitive nobody like me :)

> One site that actually did a good job in that respect is Archaic Ruins. I was actually quite pleased at what they did.

Me too, all in all I REALLY like the way AR sets up it's emulator section.

> > PPS: Sorry for the rather disjointed speech....I'm going on one hour of sleep, yuck ;{

> It's not that disjointed. I've seen much worse from people without that excuse. :-)

Luckily, I allways have a similer excuse ;)

Thanks again for the possibilty of this help, the game has a really unique flavor and humor all it's own,not to mention Rebecca's (the translator) skill at writing, and having to take anything at all away from that is really such a shame....

Again, we are all just so amazed at this chance you might be giving us, and grateful that you're even going to try ^^ Given the extreame lack of people knowlegeable of z80, it's just such a shock that not only did someone volenteer, but that the someone would be an emulator of the complexity of darknes, wow 0_o

Nyef
Post Posted: Sun Oct 17, 1999 10:53 pm
> > > > On the other hand, I did come up with a pile of ideas as to what I need for a good toolkit, so I'll probably work on that for a while.

I give up. Writing the sort of toolkit I want is a major project, and I'm too lazy to do it right now. :-)

Plus, the Z80 is even more of a pain to write a disassembler for than the x86.

I'm using my current kit: dasmz80 and emacs. It's not super-wonderful-terriffic, but it works.

> > > Oh, no problem ^_^ Do you think the offer to attempt to expand the lunar rom might still hold in the future when this is done? In any case, thanks for even thinking of it!

> > Oh, yes. I can think of a number of things I want to try with this game, and seeing it translated is one of them. :-)

> Harah!! You have no idea how estatic we are about the possibility! I've been working on the item and spell list, and ACK, getting more space in there would be such a blessing. Darn you, over efficient Japanese language! ^_^

I _like_ efficient languages, thank you very much. :-P

> Thanks again for the possibilty of this help, the game has a really unique flavor and humor all it's own,not to mention Rebecca's (the translator) skill at writing, and having to take anything at all away from that is really such a shame....

Indeed. There's some interesting stuff in here. :-)

> Again, we are all just so amazed at this chance you might be giving us, and grateful that you're even going to try ^^ Given the extreame lack of people knowlegeable of z80, it's just such a shock that not only did someone volenteer, but that the someone would be an emulator of the complexity of darknes, wow 0_o

That's DarcNES. Get it right. :-)

--Nyef

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!