Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - How 'bout a PSP port of MEKA?

Reply to topic
How 'bout a PSP port of MEKA?
Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:27 pm
I was playing a Master System emulator on my PSP a couple days ago. After squinting to see the screen and clenching my teeth at the rough sound, all I could think was this... "What I wouldn't give to have a port of MEKA on this system!"

So, is there any chance you'd consider bringing MEKA to the PSP? It's a pretty sweet little handheld game system, and I think the emulator would be right at home on it. The slick GUI built into MEKA would look even better on the PSP's sharp LCD screen, and MEKA's compatibility with a wide range of systems would give fans of the PSP more games to play than ever.

JR
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:00 pm
I don't know about the situation of development on PSP, but I don't think that porting MEKA would be trivial (as of yet). MEKA relies on high-level Allegro and various low-level fonctionnalities that would require to be ported on the PSP.

Nothing is impossible, but I won't tackle the problem myself 1. At this state of MEKA portability 2. At this state of PSP homebrew development 3. Not owning a PSP.
Post Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:06 pm
Good question. I'm compiling and running programs on my PSP. There's an existing SMS emulator out for the PSP, but unfortunately without source. If it had source I'd be looking into improving it. I find it frustrating how many PSP ports are coming out based on open source emulators without releasing the source as they are supposed to in the spirit of open source development. Fortunately the code for uoSnes9xy11 is floating around and that gives a lot of the primitives we need to set up a different emulator.

Of course, Meka's nice UI is totally worthless on the PSP (both from a code perspective and a usability perspective) so there would be a ton of trimming to do, although we could probably borrow some of the "look and feel". I have a feeling by the time I got finished lobotomizing Meka's code to run on a PSP, the other SMS emulator will improve to the point where my efforts on getting Meka on the PSP would be wasted. I haven't totally dismissed the idea of trying, though. It might be fun.

-- Rob
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!