SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Idea to play SMS roms on a home SMS system. Please read

Reply to topic
MrVCD
Idea to play SMS roms on a home SMS system. Please read
Post Posted: Wed Sep 08, 1999 3:12 pm
Here is my idea for playing SMS roms on a home system (I am not an electronics wiz so please excuse me)

1. Get a Gameboy Xchanger (loads gameboy roms to blank gameboy cartridge
and a doctor gb card (blank gameboy cartridge)

2. Create an interface that allows you to connect a Doctor GB card to some sort of
Blank SMS cartridge

3. create software allowing you to load sms roms onto a Doctor GB (blank gameboy cartridge) using the
Gameboy Xchanger (also, a good feature for the software to have is the ability to load more than one game
into the doctor gb cart's memory, so when you access the cart on a SMS system, a basic menu screen appears
showing you what games you can pick that are on your cart, the same way it's done on gameboy)

4. Plug the doctor gb card back into the blank sms cart and play

To have a better understanding of my idea, the bottom line is to allow the doctor gb cart to be used as
rewriteable media for the blank SMS cart. The Gameboy Xchanger loads sms roms onto the doctor gb cart
(appropriate software obviously needs to be written) then the doctor gb card is then plugged back into the
blank SMS cart. The reason why I chose the Gameboy Xchanger and Doctor GB card for the interface to
computer and blank media is because these 2 things are professionally made and easilly obtainable. Also,
the only thing that needs to be done is the blank sms cartridge and interface in the blank SMS cartridge where
the doctor gb cart goes. Also, Doctor GB carts come in 4mb, 8mb, 16mb, 32mb and 64mb sizes so if one
wanted to load multiple games onto a cart, they have a choice in cartridge sizes (I dont believe there is an
SMS game over 8mb but i could be wrong).

I was thinking my idea could be applied to not only SMS, but other sytems (a blank cart for each system must
be made as well as the interface for the doctor gb cart.) .
Please email (prefferable) me or post to this group if my idea is good.

Limbs a Flyin'
Post Posted: Thu Sep 09, 1999 12:34 pm

> I was thinking my idea could be applied to not only SMS, but other sytems (a blank cart for each system must
> be made as well as the interface for the doctor gb cart.) .
> Please email (prefferable) me or post to this group if my idea is good.

its a nice idea, but the most obvious problem would be bankswitching, or the lack of it.

most (assuming not codemasters games) sms games write to a particular location that the cart picks up on and does some bankswitching internaly.

what this means to you is that the sms can only see a limited amount of rom data at anyone time (i think its 48k?). bank swithing changes which parts of the rom can be seen by the macine.

while the gameboy and carts will do bank switching too, its highly unlikly to follow the same process as the sms games which would have to be worked around.

following this idea, this might tell you why you cant use a gb cart reader with a sms cart etc.. the two consoles are highly unlikly to use compatible rom routines.

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!