Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - [Museum] Sprite database, sprite of the day

Reply to topic
  • Site Admin
[Museum] Sprite database, sprite of the day
Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:33 pm
Last edited by Bock on Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
I just thought of a feature for the new site that would be nice: a database of sprites, and a "sprite of day" feature, which a random sprite displayed in full scaled pixel glory.

If a few people can rip and submit sprites (as transparent .GIF file), the base can grow fairly quickly.

When I have enough sprites submitted, I'll code this feature for the front page :)

How to rip a sprite

- Take screenshots in an emulator where you can disable the background layer (ALT-F11 in MEKA, but most others emulators have this feature).
- Crop at the right size.
- Make non-sprite pixels transparents. Depending on your image editor there's several way to do this. In Photoshop you may just have to select and delete the pixels. In Paint Shop Pro, make transparents pixels a super visible color (eg: #FF00FF pink) then go to "Colors - Set Palette Transparency" and select this color.

Probably this is confusing for many people, but let's say who want to try ripping still sprites at first.

Submit

For the moment, post on the forum with an image stored on your webspace. If you don't have webspace you can e-mail the sprites to me (address here).

Must provide:
- File
- Game name / sprite name description

Exemple:
- Wonder Boy III / Wonder Boy - Human Form
- Psycho Fox / Fox
- Psycho Fox / Bird Fly
- Power Strike / Ship
- Aztec Adventure / Nino
- Aztec Adventure / Kanego
etc etc
If you can't figure out the character name, we'll find it.
  • Site Admin
MEKA screenshots transparency
Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:50 pm
MEKA 0.69 and below :
With background rendering disabled, the screenshot is paletted and the palette entry used for black filling the non-rendered background is not the same black as the one used by sprites. It makes ripping easier, as you can just change the color of this entry to, say, pink, and you'll see all transparent pixels immediatly.

MEKA-WIP-20050312
I made it than when background is disabled, the filling color used is the current system border color. In most cases it's obvious to distinguish from the sprite color, but in some case it be a color that is used by the sprite itself (same black) and then it becomes annoying to separate sprite-black from background-black. Don't use this build if you come in such case.

I think I'll add some kind of feature to make sprite ripping easier in the future.
This should not be annoying but quick and simple.
  • Site Admin
What I have so far
Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:56 pm

(thanks maxim)

• Site Admin
Sprite ripping
Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:54 pm
One of the first modified versions of Gens included a sprite ripper. It would examine the coordinates of the sprites, and when sprites lined up exactly it would export them to a separate image. So long as a regular grid of 8x8 hardware sprites is used to build up arbitrarily-sized character sprites (the majority of games), this should work well. I didn't actually try it though, mainly because it was based on some weird hard-coded keypresses to perform various functions.

The WIP builds' method of disabling the background is a major hurdle to sprite ripping, even if it might be more like what a real system might do if it had that feature. Most games feature sprites with black borders, and a black overscan colour is very common, making it impossible to isolate sprites.

Ideally, Meka should set the background to a colour that is:

1. Not available to the sprites (ie. outside the current system's palette), so after palette optimisation the background is likely to still be distinguishable from the sprites.
2. Contrasting with most sprites. "Magic pink" #ff00ff would be ideal, but you'd have to change it to something similar outside the SMS palette; #006699 is also nice.
3. A different palette index from the sprite colours, already covered by (1) above.
4. Specified as transparent in the image file (if supported, so that's just PNG really). I seem to remember you're using libpng; try looking at png_set_tRNS().

I'd say it'd also be good to set Meka to save to PNG by default. If nothing else, it allows people ot post screenshots without having to convert to a web-happy format. PNGOUT is needed for sensible optimisation too, of course, but for Mr. Know-Nothing Wants To Post A Screenshot it's a great advantage.

One last thing, not quite related: sometimes a game will have more than one palette entry set to the same colour. If this information is stored in the output file, it is sometimes nice. For example, Phantasy Star's title screen logo actually includes a 1-pixel black border which is invisible against the black background. This border is as it was designed and when it's used against another background, it's preferable to include this original border where possible instead of guessing it. So if the saved images had a 32-colour palette corresponding to the current system palette, it'd preserve the information but be a lot more work for you, I expect.
Sprites Contibution
Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:41 am
Last edited by balkry on Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Many sprites here
http://smsconnection.free.fr/divers/sprites.php
  • Site Admin
Re: Sprites Contibution
Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:53 am
balkry wrote
My first contribution

Wow, thanks :)

Seems like the Galaxy Force one has broken transparency, thought (the black color doesn't appear).
New Sprites
Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:13 pm
New Sprites
I have not the force to post the images on the forum, so take the pictures at this page
-->
http://smsconnection.free.fr/divers/sprites.php

or in the folder
http://smsconnection.free.fr/divers/
New Sprites
Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:16 pm
Last edited by balkry on Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:51 pm; edited 7 times in total

Aztec Adventure boss 1 / Aztec Adeventure Boss 2 / PS - Lassic Castle / AlexKidd Boss / Alien 3 - Alien Egg / Shinobi - The Hero / Asterix - Idefix / 6 enemies Of Ashura / WB2 Blue Ghost / Ghosbusters - A Yellow Ghost / WonderBoy - Wonderboy Girlfriend / Ultima IV - The Hero / Ashura - Himself / MK - LiuKang / Alien 3 - Lt Ripley / Aztec Adventure 2 soldiers of fortune / Forgotten Worlds - Final Boss

Miracle Warriors - Terrarin The Final Boss // MW Treo // MW The Hero // Alien 3 Lt Ripley // MW Treo // Spellcaster A Boss // Bomber Raid - The plane // Indiana Jones - 2 Little Indy // Safari Hunt // Ghostbusters - Ecto 1 // Forgotten Worlds A Boss The Sphinx

PS - A centaur // Forgotten Worlds A Boss // PS - Medusa // Alien Storm The Hero

PS - A SandCrawaler // PS - A Dezorian // Battle Out Run - Your Ferrari F40 // PS - Lassic The Final Boss // Altered Beast - Tiger hero // PS - the Boat //
Ultima IV - A ranger // MW Your lucky Friend // Assault City - A Boss //
Bomber Raid - a Boss // Carmen Sandiego // MK - Goro // MW - Medi

Xenon 2 The Magablast - 2 Bosses // PS - A White Dragon - Golden Dragon //
PS - A Wyvern // Ghosbusters - The incredible Marshmallow

Safari Hunt - A Duck // SpaceGun A enemy // PS - A Titan // A Shinobi enemy // Sagaia Your ship // Bank Panic - a enemy // Alien 3 - A alien egg //
Ashura - 2 tanks // MK - Sonya // Ghostbusters - The hero in front of Marshmallow

PS - Shuttle // CyborgHunter - The Cyborg Hunter // Golden Axe - A enemy
// PS - Saccubus // Asterix - Asterix Himself // MW - The hero Guy //
MK - Scorpion // Sagaia - a Boss
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:42 pm
The original request was to include game name / description for each image, for categorisation.

If you're not adding that, can you at least arrange the sprites horizontally? Simply remove the line breaks from your posts to get that.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:35 pm
I'll try to figure out the game name / sprite name when I'll use those sprites. I can probably do that easily for half of the sprites. Then I'll come back and yell at you to get info on the others =)
Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:55 pm
I hope the new presentation of the sprites is allright, if you need more datas on each sprites , ask for when you want. :)
Post Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:58 am
Could be nice to sort sprites by game.
I'm working on kung fu kid (try to make all the sprites)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:34 am
Thanks, guys.
In the end, I'll insert them in a database with information regarding the game, so it'll be possible to display all sprites for a given game, etc.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:44 pm
Alright, it's now showing on the front page:
http://www.smspower.org

Nothing too fancy but it works.
I haven't added many of your sprites yet, Balkry. I'm looking for the actual character name and this takes some time (looking in manual). The sprites I already added are:
http://www.smspower.org/misc/sprites/
I'd rather have less sprites with confirmed name so it's faster to add :)

The first Bomber Raid sprite (Bomber) is missing pixels on the right. Medusa has a white dot on the bottom right (I removed it from my copy).

I wanted to display the number of pixels (dots) but currently all it does it a width*height calculation, which takes transparent pixels into account. Maybe I'll write a PHP script that finds out actual used pixels.
  • Site Admin
Re: Sprite ripping
Post Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:51 pm
Maxim wrote
Ideally, Meka should set the background to a colour that is: ....

The new version will use a new yellow-ish color.
Sorry it's not FF00FF pink, but I am currently lacking free palette entries, and anyway, a screen full of FF00FF pink would damage your eyes in a matter of seconds. :)

I'd say it'd also be good to set Meka to save to PNG by default.

It is the case since I introduced PNG in version 0.69.

One last thing, not quite related: sometimes a game will have more than one palette entry set to the same colour. If this information is stored in the output file, it is sometimes nice. For example, Phantasy Star's title screen logo actually includes a 1-pixel black border which is invisible against the black background. This border is as it was designed and when it's used against another background, it's preferable to include this original border where possible instead of guessing it. So if the saved images had a 32-colour palette corresponding to the current system palette, it'd preserve the information but be a lot more work for you, I expect.

This is really not that easy. The reason is simple: how I am supposed to order the color palette if the game has done palette change during the frame?
Old versions of MEKA used to do that, 0-31 was the current SMS palette, and 32-63 was a buffer for other colors used within the frame (if any).

When I'll switch to hi-color I promess that it will be even more complicated since I'll have to track actual color entries. It's possible if I do a modified rendered which poke color index to some buffer in addition to the RGB value. But you understand it's not exactly trivial and not the most important thing now.

As a workaround, let me point out that you can use MEKA hacking tools (namely, the memory editor, palette section) to change color entries if you're in the case where you want to grab a screenshot with multiple entries using the same color (as what you mentionned in Phantasy Star. I think Sonic for Megadrive has an easter egg doing that also).
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:10 pm
I don't have much to contribute except to say that "The Incredible Marshmallow"'s proper name is "The Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man"

Thank you and good night.
Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:02 pm
Hi guys.
Would it be possible to add the feature that clicking on the sprite of the day links to the info page for the game it is from?
Some of these sprites I don't recognise so it would be good to be able to quickly see where they come from :)

Cheers
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:15 pm
When the site database is fully evolved, there will be pages to link to and it'll be easy to make the connection. For now, this is just a cool feature that's up and running quickly while the hard work on everything else continues out of view.

For now, do what it takes to find the image URL ("View image" perhaps) and you'll find the system, game name and character name are in the filename.
Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:35 pm
Ok, thanks Maxim.
  • Site Admin
Added ~20 new sprites
Post Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:06 pm
Added about 20 new sprites today, and made it that the page now display the exact amount of pixels, excluding transparent pixels. Also fixed a some cases where sprites weren't scaled by an integer ratio.

Sprites submission are welcome IF you are able to name the character/object shown on the sprite.
A special treat to SMS Power for a special day
Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:15 am
Since I feel very generous today, I have decided to add some sprites for the site.

SMS
  • Asterix and the Secret Mission - Obelix
  • Bonanza Bros. - Robo
  • Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine - Dr. Robotnik [his henchmen were part of the background except Scratch's head]
  • Dynamite Dux - Bin

GG
  • Sonic Triple Trouble - Sonic
  • Sonic Triple Trouble - Tails

Oddily the transparencies do not show up on the preview and sorry for not having a host.

[admin: removed thumbnails to make the images smaller]
Asterix and the Secret Mission-Obelix.gif (422 B)
Asterix and the Secret Mission - Obelix
Asterix and the Secret Mission-Obelix.gif
Bonanza Bros-Robo.gif (199 B)
Bonanza Bros. - Robo
Bonanza Bros-Robo.gif
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine-Dr. Robotnik.gif (944 B)
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine - Dr. Robotnik
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine-Dr. Robotnik.gif
Dynamite Dux-Bin.gif (290 B)
Dynamite Dux - Bin
Dynamite Dux-Bin.gif
Sonic Triple Trouble-Sonic.gif (301 B)
Sonic Triple Trouble - Sonic
Sonic Triple Trouble-Sonic.gif
Sonic Triple Trouble-Tails.gif (283 B)
Sonic Triple Trouble - Tails
Sonic Triple Trouble-Tails.gif

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:24 am
After some further investigation: the original images you posted seem to be missing transparency information. I've attached one with transparency, for comparison. (When you delete the thumbnail, the original images are used and transparency works.)
dr_robotniks_mean_bean_machine_dr_robotnik_428_trans.png (925 B)
Transparent version of Dr Robotnik
dr_robotniks_mean_bean_machine_dr_robotnik_428_trans.png

RType Pack of sprites
Post Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:04 am
It takes me a long time, but i wanted some sprites of R-Type for the sprite of the day.
So this is a package with all enemies of the game except boss and ennemies of the super stage bonus ( because i can't find their names ).
So enjoy these screenshots.

http://smsconnection.free.fr/sprites/SpritesRTYPE/SpritesRTYPE.rar

*MOD* Added file as attachement to post.
SpritesRTYPE.rar (20.07 KB)

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:19 pm
Thanks all for the sprites rips.
We'll add new ones little by little, but likely it will be a selection per game (eg: 2/3 sprites for R-Type). Full sprite set are still nice, we can keep them to make them available on each game page for museum. Maybe we can make stickers sheets with them too :)
New Package : Captain Silver
Post Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:22 am
Bock you're right with the package, It could be more usefull for the museum.
So take this new one, there's all the enemies and boss of Captain Silver.
Have a nice day.

http://smsconnection.free.fr/sprites/SpritesCaptainSilver/SpritesCaptainSilver.rar

New Package : Double Dragon
Post Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:38 am
Hello, a new pakage of sprites for the famous "Sprite of the Day"
Enjoy !!

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:49 pm
Well, since this is the official sprite-thread...

Answering furanku's question about which sprite s the best designed/drawnn, I have this flash to contribute: http://wrim.deviantart.com/art/Aerial-Assault-Arcanum-music-99976842
Just a quick looping gif in Flash.

It's not the best, but Aerial Assault has some awesome backgrounds, and the day/night effect when the colours morph just brings more to the awesome.
I'll browse my screenshot folder and see what more I can find...
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!