SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Delemma with Psycho Fox

Reply to topic
Delemma with Psycho Fox
Post Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:07 am
Houdy,

I am in round 2-2 of Psycho Fox and I have came to a small stretch of water that I can't seem to pass. I have tried a running jump and all the power things in the pause menu and I can't seem to get across it. However, I seemed to make the Fox sort of skim off the top of the water but I think that was one of those flukes.

I am new to this game so any help will be greately appreciated.

Cheers,

Jacko
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:20 am
Just running straight on the water (no jump) should make you bounce on it.
Xofdam1138
Post Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:35 am
There’s a nice long stretch of water to bounce across in level 5-1, drop down at the start and run right.

The best bit about Psycho Fox is finding your first warp :D

Also I haven't checked out any guides so forgive me if this is documented: It's a sort of bug I came across a very long time ago and I find comes in very handy in the 5th zone.

Find any part of the level which has a large wall or brick section with a passage underneath, walk under the wall until the face of the wall is almost off the screen, but allow enough to jump into the small gap between the face of the wall and the left-hand side of the screen, double back and jump into that gap, you will become stuck in the wall, don't fear you can free yourself by pressing down, but why would you want to, because you can keep jumping up and explore new parts of the game previously out of reach. :) or join a higher route in the level, this technique can be used anywhere in the game, handy for getting on those high platforms.

Best original Master System game ever, anyone agree? I mean best game as in not a port from arcade or another platform.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:20 am
Xofdam1138 wrote
Best original Master System game ever, anyone agree? I mean best game as in not a port from arcade or another platform.

I dont know about best ever, but it does kick some serious ass.
Post Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:18 pm
Xofdam1138 wrote

I'll stir up some controversy here and say I'll have to disagree. Personally, I find Psycho Fox marginally fun, but the fun wears off quickly as frustration sets in.

And it is not an SMS original, either. Psycho Fox was released in 1989, but it is essentially the same game as the NES game Kid Kool, the Japanese version of which (Kakefu Kun no Jump Tengoku) was released in July 1988. Most people consider Kid Kool to be a terrible game, too.

The game engine was also ported pretty closely to the Megadrive game "Magical Hat no Buttobi Turbo! Daibouken" (good graphics; gameplay is slightly better than Psycho Fox) in 1990, and the Sega Genesis as "Decap Attack" in 1991. So the game has somewhat of a mediocre pedigree.
Xofdam1138
Post Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:27 pm
And it is not an SMS original, either. Psycho Fox was released in 1989, but it is essentially the same game as the NES game Kid Kool, the Japanese version of which (Kakefu Kun no Jump Tengoku) was released in July 1988.

Just played Kid Cool, I stand well corrected, most enlightening, this forum really rocks.

Magical Hat no Buttobi Turbo!/Decap Attack better than Psycho Fox!! No comment.

But this dose leave me at unease, what should I use as ammunition when my beloved Master System gets attacked by my NESboy mates for lack of great original titles? Phantasy Star, Alex Kidd in Shinobi World, Loretta no Shouzou, are they safe? Psycho Fox was my life when I was 10 (explains my bias) and It's often be my trump card in a good debate, but with this new information it's now a dark day for me. Perhaps I should just accept the fact that the Master System dose not have a huge number of games compared with ohter systems of it's era, so I shouldn’t except miracles and jsut be content with fanatical blind faith. :)

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:51 pm
ccovell wrote
Xofdam1138 wrote

I'll stir up some controversy here and say I'll have to disagree. Personally, I find Psycho Fox marginally fun, but the fun wears off quickly as frustration sets in.

I couldn't stand the game until Bock taught me how to play it.

Now I can stand it. Actually, I don't think it's that much fun but there are a lot of cool and imaginative ideas in the game (the bug spray boss, skipping on water, warps, to name a few).

Xofdam1138 wrote

But this dose leave me at unease, what should I use as ammunition when my beloved Master System gets attacked by my NESboy mates for lack of great original titles? Phantasy Star, Alex Kidd in Shinobi World, Loretta no Shouzou, are they safe? Psycho Fox was my life when I was 10 (explains my bias) and It's often be my trump card in a good debate, but with this new information it's now a dark day for me. Perhaps I should just accept the fact that the Master System dose not have a huge number of games compared with ohter systems of it's era, so I shouldn’t except miracles and jsut be content with fanatical blind faith. :)

A lot of what I thought were SMS originals have origins in obscure arcade games or MSX games. There were arcade versions of My Hero, Teddy Boy, and Transbot, amazingly enough.

Me, I was surprised to find that Fantasy Zone had an arcade version, and now I'm sort of spoiled on it, I don't like the SMS version very much now. I will be excited to see the arcade version of Action Fighter when it's finally emulated.Maybe they'll turn up a System 16 version of Machine Gun Joe someday....

Here are some titles I like that are, to my knowledge, complete original to the SMS:

- Zillion
- Kenseiden
- Phantasy Star
- Golvelius (though there was a sequel on the MSX)
- Ghost House
- Alex Kidd in Miracle World
- Aztec Adventure
- Cyborg Hunter
- Shooting Gallery
- Lord of the Sword
- Parlour Games
- Spellcaster

I would be curious to hear if any of these are based on preexisting games that I don't know about. I'm not entirely sure Golvelius 1 wasn't on the MSX.
Post Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:09 pm
Here's Golvellius 1 on MSX :

http://www.generation-msx.nl/msxdb/softwareinfo/1016
Post Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:34 pm
ccovell wrote

And it is not an SMS original, either. Psycho Fox was released in 1989, but it is essentially the same game as the NES game Kid Kool, the Japanese version of which (Kakefu Kun no Jump Tengoku) was released in July 1988. Most people consider Kid Kool to be a terrible game, too.

No way!

Although Kid Kool is VERY similar to Psycho Fox, they're definitely not the same.
Kid Kool's Scrolling sucks
Kid Kool Can't punch
Kid Kool Can't transform into other characters

Kid Kool kinda sucks, but Psycho Fox is FUN!
Post Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:00 pm
Sadly there isn't an actual sequel to Golvellius. There is an MSX2 game, but its an updated version of the original, that is more or less similar to the SMS version. There is some info on it on this page which talks about Compile's shooters. You'll have to scroll down a bit to find it.

http://www.classicgaming.com/reviews/aleste/compile.htm

The page is called Hardcore Gaming 101. I highly recommend giving it a read sometime.

And yeah, I realize that comment about Golvellius being "the closest that the Sega Master System ever had to a Zelda game" isn't accurate. Guess the author didn't know about Golden Axe Warrior.
Post Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:23 am
Golvellius 2 is more than a simple adaptation for MSX2 of Golvellius 1, although some parts are similar. The game is really more extended : 3 disks !

For the comparison with the SMS version, see here :

http://www.rpgclassics.com/shrines/sms/golvellius/MSX.shtml

For maps of Golvellius 1 and 2 on MSX (and other games), see here :

http://www.geocities.com/msxgamer/

! As this site is on geocities, it can happen that it is not reachable (traffic limitation)
Xofdam1138
Post Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:04 am
The big give away about SMS Golvellius was the reprogrammed by Sega bit on the title screen.

Well I feel a little better now, we do have the Zillion's, Spellcaster and Kenseiden as original SMS games (I hpoe) and I did enjoy going through Golden Axe Warrior even though the dungeons seemed a little lacking. I never touched Aztec Adventure though, on the grounds that it got such a bad review in Mean Machines back in the day, I'll have to give it a proper look.

This has been an interesting debate and has given me a thought, especially in the light of such information as R-Type possibly being an arcade port by Compile. It would be great to compile (pardon the pun) this information together and generate a list of what SMS games are complete originals and what are ports/suspected ports, sequels, even prequels, including the systems they were ported from/too. I'll be eager to make a start on such a list if one doesn’t exist. :)

Post Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:27 am
mars2000you wrote
Golvellius 2 is more than a simple adaptation for MSX2 of Golvellius 1, although some parts are similar. The game is really more extended : 3 disks !

For the comparison with the SMS version, see here :

http://www.rpgclassics.com/shrines/sms/golvellius/MSX.shtml

For maps of Golvellius 1 and 2 on MSX (and other games), see here :

http://www.geocities.com/msxgamer/

! As this site is on geocities, it can happen that it is not reachable (traffic limitation)

That MSX map page is pretty cool. Thanks for the link.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:05 pm
Xofdam1138 wrote
Also I haven't checked out any guides so forgive me if this is documented: It's a sort of bug I came across a very long time ago and I find comes in very handy in the 5th zone.

Find any part of the level which has a large wall or brick section with a passage underneath, walk under the wall until the face of the wall is almost off the screen, but allow enough to jump into the small gap between the face of the wall and the left-hand side of the screen, double back and jump into that gap, you will become stuck in the wall, don't fear you can free yourself by pressing down, but why would you want to, because you can keep jumping up and explore new parts of the game previously out of reach. :) or join a higher route in the level, this technique can be used anywhere in the game, handy for getting on those high platforms.

Very interesting. Never knew about that.

A few years ago, I data reverse engineered Psycho Fox with a friend, and we were able to extract all level data. I have most technical information to view levels map (I made a viewer on the GBA). If anyone technically inclined is interested in programming a tool to extract pictures files with all maps based on the information I have, let me know.
Kid Kool
Post Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:54 pm
Thanks for mentioning Kid Kool. This is one of the most interesting games I've seen on the NES in quite some time!
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:55 am
Bock wrote
A few years ago, I data reverse engineered Psycho Fox with a friend, and we were able to extract all level data. I have most technical information to view levels map (I made a viewer on the GBA). If anyone technically inclined is interested in programming a tool to extract pictures files with all maps based on the information I have, let me know.

rouken mapped the game some time ago, but I think publishing the data would be very welcome - also, I'm sure there's a few more warp zones waiting to be found. Why not dump what you have on the wiki?
Post Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:46 am
Psycho Fox rocks. One of the better plaformers on the SMS.
The warp zones were magical. Back then without internet we found them ourselves. Me and my brother.
The game is very solid and not frustrating at all. If you are good at it you can realy rock all through the levels at high speeds and the thing you can shoot is great too.
My brother and I called that backpack thing a "gooey" dunno why, my little brother gave it that name and it stuck!
ah, childhood memories. I would love to see the all the warps through reverse engineering.
Post Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:45 pm
D wrote
Psycho Fox rocks. One of the better plaformers on the SMS.
The warp zones were magical. Back then without internet we found them ourselves. Me and my brother.
The game is very solid and not frustrating at all. If you are good at it you can realy rock all through the levels at high speeds and the thing you can shoot is great too.
My brother and I called that backpack thing a "gooey" dunno why, my little brother gave it that name and it stuck!
ah, childhood memories. I would love to see the all the warps through reverse engineering.

Actually on that note, what is 'gooey's' name?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:33 pm
Bird Fly. I thought everyone knew that :)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:40 pm
Maxim wrote
Bock wrote

rouken mapped the game some time ago, but I think publishing the data would be very welcome - also, I'm sure there's a few more warp zones waiting to be found. Why not dump what you have on the wiki?

Ah, I did not have as much noted as I remember.
I posted some infos @ http://smspower.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=53161
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!