SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Porting games from windows to genesis bin format

Reply to topic
The Games Nostalgia
Porting games from windows to genesis bin format
Post Posted: Thu Jul 01, 1999 11:16 am
Hi dudes...i'd like to know how i can port a win32 exe to genesis bin format. Is it difficult? is there a cross-compiler?

Alex'99
Post Posted: Thu Jul 01, 1999 12:41 pm
> Hi dudes...i'd like to know how i can port a win32 exe to genesis bin format. Is it difficult? is there a cross-compiler?

VDP vs DirectX
80586 vs M68000

I think is Very Very Hard! :(

Alex'99

Chris
Now there's something to look forward to...
Post Posted: Thu Jul 01, 1999 7:41 pm
Now imagine this. Running Windows 3.11 or 95 on the Sega Genesis with 16-bit color mode.
And the mouse is controlled by the controller. I just have a couple points to make...

Motorola 68000 16-bit processor.
Intel 80586 (Not to mention extended Pentium, Pentium Pro, Pentium II, and even Pentium III) All 32-Bit.

The VDP 16-bit, 256 pallete, 64 color screen, low resolution
DirectX 32-bit, High True Color (24-bit, 32-bit support.), and high resolution graphics.

Now something like MSDOS is believeable, and Windows 3.11 could be a great challenge, but Windows 95/98 is going to take lots of prayer and a miracle! But, don't give up. Keep at it.

Chris :o)

madness? :P
Post Posted: Thu Jul 01, 1999 10:23 pm

> Now something like MSDOS is believeable, and Windows 3.11 could be a great challenge, but Windows 95/98 is going to take lots of prayer and a miracle! But, don't give up. Keep at it.

> Chris :o)

hey...would be cool to see DOS in genesis :)
hum..better...Linux :P..using the SegaCD's high storage like a HD....hum... :P
Balaraddak
Please tell me someone here is kidding
Post Posted: Fri Jul 02, 1999 6:58 pm
Sega is not programmed like a normal system. It is programmed in ASM (Assembler code) which is one of the hardest lanuages to learn. In order to port a game from even dos you would have to

1.) Learn M68000 assembler code (Which probably has hardly any documentation)
2.) In some way or another get the source code of what you are trying to port, and put in M68k asm code.
3.) Wait hours for the program to actually start because a sega will run dos programs much much much much much slower than dos itself.

You will never do this so don't even try. I can see that you guys just have no idea about this kind of thing, so i will forgive you.

Zig
Re: Please tell me someone here is kidding
Post Posted: Sat Jul 03, 1999 2:31 am
> Sega is not programmed like a normal system. It is programmed in ASM (Assembler code) which is one of the hardest lanuages to learn. In order to port a game from even dos you would have to
Define normal systems and be more specific that its programmed in 68k asm since pcs can be programmed in asm though 80x86
nowadays commercial programmers work in higher low level languages
and ASM is not that hard to learn it may have been for you but that comment really bugs me because alot of people avoid asm
like the plague and it could help alot of them in understanding there code
> 1.) Learn M68000 assembler code (Which probably has hardly any documentation)
Ive never found any problem finding this documentation
> 2.) In some way or another get the source code of what you are trying to port, and put in M68k asm code.
no comment
> 3.) Wait hours for the program to actually start because a sega will run dos programs much much much much much slower than dos itself.
heh
> You will never do this so don't even try. I can see that you guys just have no idea about this kind of thing, so i will forgive you.
Im the king of arrogance so I wont rag on you too much

Alfiax
Re: Please tell me someone here is kidding
Post Posted: Sun Jul 04, 1999 1:28 am
> Sega is not programmed like a normal system. It is programmed in ASM (Assembler code) which is one of the hardest lanuages to learn. In order to port a game from even dos you would have to

> 1.) Learn M68000 assembler code (Which probably has hardly any documentation)
> 2.) In some way or another get the source code of what you are trying to port, and put in M68k asm code.
> 3.) Wait hours for the program to actually start because a sega will run dos programs much much much much much slower than dos itself.

> You will never do this so don't even try. I can see that you guys just have no idea about this kind of thing, so i will forgive you.

Your prediction is correct, your reasoning is flawed. the 68k series of processors is probably the second-most distinguished line of processors after intel's, and docs are readily available.
the big problem with genesis ports of win/dos crap is the system's tiny hardware specs and lack of a bios interface.
anyways, a sega has a 10? mhz processor, which is like a 286, so processor-wise its not too bad. maybe a port of pragma linux would be possible.
Anyways, he's probably kidding.

Balaraddak
10mhz? wow, that's much higher than i expected. *nt*
Post Posted: Tue Jul 06, 1999 10:36 am
> > Sega is not programmed like a normal system. It is programmed in ASM (Assembler code) which is one of the hardest lanuages to learn. In order to port a game from even dos you would have to

> > 1.) Learn M68000 assembler code (Which probably has hardly any documentation)
> > 2.) In some way or another get the source code of what you are trying to port, and put in M68k asm code.
> > 3.) Wait hours for the program to actually start because a sega will run dos programs much much much much much slower than dos itself.

> > You will never do this so don't even try. I can see that you guys just have no idea about this kind of thing, so i will forgive you.

> Your prediction is correct, your reasoning is flawed. the 68k series of processors is probably the second-most distinguished line of processors after intel's, and docs are readily available.
> the big problem with genesis ports of win/dos crap is the system's tiny hardware specs and lack of a bios interface.
> anyways, a sega has a 10? mhz processor, which is like a 286, so processor-wise its not too bad. maybe a port of pragma linux would be possible.
> Anyways, he's probably kidding.

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!