Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - How to improve VGM

Reply to topic
Martin Skog
How to improve VGM
Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2001 3:17 pm
Hi!

To improve the accuracy of the sound of the VGZ-files for the mastersystem music, I think you have to make the noise channel much louder. In some tunes you almost can't hear the noise drums... =/

Another option I want is the option to play back the music in 50hZ speed, so that it will sound more like I am used too, since I live in Sweden.

/Martin Skog

• Site Admin
Re: How to improve VGM playback
Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2001 5:04 pm
> To improve the accuracy of the sound of the VGZ-files for the mastersystem music, I think you have to make the noise channel much louder. In some tunes you almost can't hear the noise drums... =/

The reason for this is, the real PSG (sound chip) produces distorted output due to imperfections in its design, and the fact that it passes through several other processes, including being squashed into an RF signal (unless you have an SMS1 with AV cable). My Winamp plugin, however, produces a perfect digital representation of the data, which unfortunately isn't as loud.

I am thinking of trying to simulate the PSG imperfections better (it also affects how the tone channels sound); I may, however, just boost the noise volume a bit.

> Another option I want is the option to play back the music in 50hZ speed, so that it will sound more like I am used too, since I live in Sweden.

That's already been coded:

but not released yet, because there are issues to be resolved, since there's currently no sure way of knowing what speed a VGM file was recorded at.

I personally find it preferable to listen to VGMs at the "proper" speed, ie. the one the composer used. All games developed in Japan and the US would have been composed and tested at 60Hz, and European developments at 50Hz; that's why my Micro Machines and Cosmic Spacehead VGMs are recorded at 50Hz, but the rest are at 60Hz. By the way, I'm in the UK, so I appreciate the 50Hz difference too.

Maxim
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!