SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Name those consoles..?

Reply to topic
  • Site Admin
Name those consoles..?
Post Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2001 11:02 pm
I was over at http://www.system16.com and was reading the history page (I now know what SEGA stands for :o) but...

"The SMS is actually the 5th console from Sega but the first to be marketed worldwide (the others were Japanese only)."

Now, the whole page is rather US-centric, it likens the Saturn's success to that of the SMS, and we all know the SG/SC were released in Europe and/or Australia, but what were the four Sega consoles released before the SMS? SG-1000, SC-3000, SF-7000 maybe (I thought it was an SC add-on)... what else?

Maxim
Post Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2001 10:01 am
> Now, the whole page is rather US-centric, it likens the Saturn's success to that of the SMS, and we all know the SG/SC were released in Europe and/or Australia, but what were the four Sega consoles released before the SMS? SG-1000, SC-3000, SF-7000 maybe (I thought it was an SC add-on)... what else?

Well, I suppose if you class the SG-1000 and SG-1000-II as separate systems, and the Mark III as a separate system to the SMS, you could say there were five systems :-)

Mike
Falcon
Post Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2001 6:23 pm
> > Now, the whole page is rather US-centric, it likens the Saturn's success to that of the SMS, and we all know the SG/SC were released in Europe and/or Australia, but what were the four Sega consoles released before the SMS? SG-1000, SC-3000, SF-7000 maybe (I thought it was an SC add-on)... what else?

>
> Well, I suppose if you class the SG-1000 and SG-1000-II as separate systems, and the Mark III as a separate system to the SMS, you could say there were five systems :-)

> Mike

My best guess is:

1 - SG-1000
2 - SC-3000 (even though it's just a SG-1000 with a keyboard)
3 - SF-7000 (Would be the same as considering the Sega CD as a separate system from the Genesis which I believe it is)
4 - Mark III (which SHOULD be considered the SMS's Japanese twin)
5 - Master System (God bless the SMS...)

Falcon

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2001 7:11 pm
> 4 - Mark III (which SHOULD be considered the SMS's Japanese twin)

Well, it's my understanding that there are both Mark III's and MAster System in Japan, with the Master System adding the FM chip and the Mark III using the PSG we all know and love.
  • Site Admin
Bah
Post Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2001 10:52 pm
> > 4 - Mark III (which SHOULD be considered the SMS's Japanese twin)

> Well, it's my understanding that there are both Mark III's and MAster System in Japan, with the Master System adding the FM chip and the Mark III using the PSG we all know and love.

I never thought of the Mark III :o)

Anyway, didn't the Mark III have the FM unit as an addon? I thought it was the box that sat on top of it on the left.

Maxim
Sweater Fish Deluxe
Post Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2001 12:52 am

> 2 - SC-3000 (even though it's just a SG-1000 with a keyboard)

It's slightly more than that, an SG-1000 with the keyboard still won't run the SC-3000 stuff (the BASIC and Music programs), but there was a line of educational cartridges that I think were designed for the SG-1000/SK-1100 setup. Of course, the SC-3000 shouldn't be considered a console at all, but that's nit-picking I guess

> 3 - SF-7000 (Would be the same as considering the Sega CD as a separate system from the Genesis which I believe it is)

I doubt that anyone who thinks there were four consoles from Sega before the MS would even know the SF-7000 existed, it's just too butt-spankingly rare. There's also something called the SD-G5 that they're probably not talking about for the same reason.

I think Mike's probably right, they're thinking:

1. SG-1000
2. SG-1000 mkII
3. SC-3000
4. Mark III
5. Master System

Post Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2001 5:53 am
>> 2 - SC-3000 (even though it's just a SG-1000 with a keyboard)
> It's slightly more than that, an SG-1000 with the keyboard still won't run the SC-3000 stuff (the BASIC and Music programs),

Sure? How do you know that?
(I don't have a SK-1100 so I can't tell for sure)

>> 3 - SF-7000 (Would be the same as considering the Sega CD as a separate system from the Genesis which I believe it is)
> I doubt that anyone who thinks there were four consoles from Sega before the MS would even know the SF-7000 existed, it's just too butt-spankingly rare. There's also something called the SD-G5 that they're probably not talking about for the same reason.

SD-G5 is not a Sega system, it was an extension that allowed it to play SG-1000 games, if I recall correctly.

> I think Mike's probably right, they're thinking:
> 1. SG-1000
> 2. SG-1000 mkII
> 3. SC-3000
> 4. Mark III
> 5. Master System

Very probably.
Falcon
Clarification....
Post Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2001 6:59 am
> > 2 - SC-3000 (even though it's just a SG-1000 with a keyboard)

> It's slightly more than that, an SG-1000 with the keyboard still won't run the SC-3000 stuff (the BASIC and Music programs), but there was a line of educational cartridges that I think were designed for the SG-1000/SK-1100 setup. Of course, the SC-3000 shouldn't be considered a console at all, but that's nit-picking I guess

> 4 - Mark III (which SHOULD be considered the SMS's Japanese twin)

Well, it's my understanding that there are both Mark III's and MAster System in Japan, with the Master System adding the FM chip and the Mark III using the PSG we all know and love.

Ok, you're both right, they aren't *IDENTICAL*, I guess they're more like fraternal twins :) What I basically meant was that the systems are close enough to be considered part of the same immediate family...

Most SG-1000/SC-3000 games say exactly that on the boxes, for use with either... True the SC-3000 does have the extra computeresque quality to it, running BASIC and all, but for gaming purposes... To be fair though, it is far closer to being a separate system than say the Genesis, Saturn or Dreamcast with keyboard add-ons.

As for the Mark III & SMS, same deal... I'm looking at my Japanese Phantasy Star box right now (an FM game BTW) and it says Mark III / Master System. Like the US SMS & SMS2, there are differences (where the hell's the card port?!?!?) but in essence they are the same system.

Then of course there are the add-ons which allow people to play games on systems that wouldn't work otherwise... The SF-7000, Sega CD & 32X... Some people just consider them add-ons but I think they should be classed as separate systems... Just because they share certain system resources doesn't really change anything - just try shoving a CD in your Genesis cart port :)

Falcon

Sweater Fish Deluxe
Re: Clarification....
Post Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2001 7:25 am
> As for the Mark III & SMS, same deal... I'm looking at my Japanese Phantasy Star box right now (an FM game BTW) and it says Mark III / Master System. Like the US SMS & SMS2, there are differences (where the hell's the card port?!?!?) but in essence they are the same system.

I pretty much consider the Mark III and western SMS the same system, I don't think there's any internal differences. The Japanese SMS could *MAYBE* be considered something different.

> Then of course there are the add-ons which allow people to play games on systems that wouldn't work otherwise... The SF-7000, Sega CD & 32X... Some people just consider them add-ons but I think they should be classed as separate systems... Just because they share certain system resources doesn't really change anything - just try shoving a CD in your Genesis cart port :)

It's funny that everyone (including me) considers the Genesis, Sega CD and 32X all separate systems, but most other add-ons like the Jaguar CD or the Starpath Supercharger don't get quite to that same status. I wonder why that is? Maybe because they did much better sales-wise?

Sweater Fish Deluxe
Post Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2001 7:35 am
> >> 2 - SC-3000 (even though it's just a SG-1000 with a keyboard)
> > It's slightly more than that, an SG-1000 with the keyboard still won't run the SC-3000 stuff (the BASIC and Music programs),

> Sure? How do you know that?
> (I don't have a SK-1100 so I can't tell for sure)

I'm pretty sure, I'll see if I can find the Japanese site where I read that.

My Japanese skills are...questionable, but it was pretty obvious that the guy was saying that the SG-1000 + SK-1100 was inferior to the SC-3000. I took it to mean that the SG-1000 had less memory or something like that.

> SD-G5 is not a Sega system, it was an extension that allowed it to play SG-1000 games, if I recall correctly.

It was released by Pioneer, right? Do you know of any sites with more info? From what I understand it was something similar to the LaserActive (also from Pioneer oddly) in that it had modules that allowed you to do different things. I know there was an SG-1000 module and a karaoke module. But what else? and what was the thing? (was it an early laserdisc player?)

Sweater Fish Deluxe
Post Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2001 7:59 am
> >> 2 - SC-3000 (even though it's just a SG-1000 with a keyboard)
> > It's slightly more than that, an SG-1000 with the keyboard still won't run the SC-3000 stuff (the BASIC and Music programs),

> Sure? How do you know that?
> (I don't have a SK-1100 so I can't tell for sure)

It's maybe not as clear as I thought it was at first, but I still think he's saying there on the third page of this article that the SG-3000 plays all SG-1000 software, but the SG-1000 even after you add the SK-1100 will only play SG-1000 software and then he mentions the educational soft line.

It's here:

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!