Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Original Japanese Phantasy Star... Half re-translated.

Reply to topic
Original Japanese Phantasy Star... Half re-translated.
Post Posted: Wed Oct 27, 1999 5:52 am
Hello,

I've been working on a translation of the script from the original Japanese Phantasy Star for the last few days, and I've finished about 50% of it. This is just the script, mind you, not a ROM patch or anything like that. I plan on posting it to my web page as soon as it's finished. It shouldn't take too long, as it's mostly a matter of looking up some of the unfamiliar vocabulary in the dictionary. Stay tuned!

As kind of a preview, here's a line from the U.S. translation that almost every true PS fan should remember:

"Hi, I'm Miki! Do you like Sega games?"

'Yes...'

"Of course! Sega games are best!"

The (translated) Japanese text reads (more or less):

"I'm Gamer Miki! Do you own (did you buy) a Master System?"

[yes]
"Ahh... I'm the same type of gamer as you. I think the FM sound kicks ass, don't you?"

[no]
"That sucks. Quick! Go buy one, dammit! Grrr..."

So anyway, I'll be working on it whenever I have the time. You can check my page for updates.

Paul Jensen
Author of gym2mid

Nice!!
Post Posted: Wed Oct 27, 1999 11:03 am
> Hello,

> I've been working on a translation of the script from the original Japanese Phantasy Star for the last few days, and I've finished about 50% of it. This is just the script, mind you, not a ROM patch or anything like that. I plan on posting it to my web page as soon as it's finished. It shouldn't take too long, as it's mostly a matter of looking up some of the unfamiliar vocabulary in the dictionary. Stay tuned!

> As kind of a preview, here's a line from the U.S. translation that almost every true PS fan should remember:

> "Hi, I'm Miki! Do you like Sega games?"

> 'Yes...'

> "Of course! Sega games are best!"

> The (translated) Japanese text reads (more or less):

> "I'm Gamer Miki! Do you own (did you buy) a Master System?"

> [yes]
> "Ahh... I'm the same type of gamer as you. I think the FM sound kicks ass, don't you?"

> [no]
> "That sucks. Quick! Go buy one, dammit! Grrr..."

> So anyway, I'll be working on it whenever I have the time. You can check my page for updates.

> Paul Jensen
> Author of gym2mid

Nice!! Its really nice :) I would love to see the correct translation beacause Sega changed a lot of stuff. Its cool
to see what the original text.!

Keep the work :)
Actually, the official English translation was pretty accurate. *more*
Post Posted: Thu Oct 28, 1999 8:40 am
> Nice!! Its really nice :) I would love to see the correct translation beacause Sega changed a lot of stuff. Its cool
> to see what the original text.!

Quite honestly, whoever translated the Japanese version to English did a pretty good job, considering the memory limitations they had to work with. Very little was actually changed. There are some changes that were made for no obvious reason, like changing 'Lutz' (should be pronounced 'Roots', by the way) to 'Noah', and 'Tyrone' to 'Odin', but most of the changes were made so that the names could fit within the alloted screen space. For example, 'Monster Fly' (or 'mo-n-su-ta-fu-ra-i') is only made up of seven Japanese characters, while the english equivalent uses eleven. Since the maximum number is eight, the name was changed to 'Sworm'. And the unforgettable heroine Alis was once named 'Alisa', but since the extra 'a' wouldn't fit using English text, it had to be truncated.

Most of the rest of the text is pretty unchangeable, anyway. I mean, there aren't too many ways to say, "Scion (pronounced 'she-on) is to the East of Camineet", are there?

The only real major changes are some of the monster and item names, and the conversation with Gamer Miki (which was changed because the FM chip never made it to the States).

> Keep the work :)

I haven't given up yet, and I don't plan to do so until I'm done.

Later,

Paul

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!