Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - To Zoop....question

Reply to topic
SoulBlazer
To Zoop....question
Post Posted: Mon Oct 25, 1999 9:31 pm
Hi Zoop,

I just wanted you to know that I agree with what you said in the front page about people complaining about mirrors.
These people ARE kind enough to donate time and space to host ROM's, and they should be thanked for
their efforts less thye get upset and yank them.

However, I also understand about people complaining, since I have had many problems with the servers myself.
I miss the days when you used to be able to download a game directly from here the moment that it was
released. Beeing a poor and starving college student :) I don't have the money to bid on some SMS game
or other stuff that is out of my price range, and I'm sure others here are in the same boat. I'm not a leacher,
but I do wish I could help support your efforts in some way.

My question is --what if somebody was to make a server that you supported but you did'nt have to mantain?
Have a 'offical' server, in which all roms are put onto. Allow registered users the ability to download games
from it as soon as it comes out, and non-registered people 24 hours or so later. You can also add code
that will prevent people from 'leeching' to the links, thus making sure that it stays fast and constant.

My college gives me a lot of server space that I could use for a web page but I have no HTML skills or knowledge
of how to make a web page. I'd donate my space to this project if you thought it was a good idea. And it
would be a way I could help support SMS emulation without having any money available to spend. :)

Just a suggestion. Feel free to bash it......my ego can take a hit. :)

Greg

Post Posted: Tue Oct 26, 1999 8:03 pm
[quick answer]

I'm afraid your college won't like the traffic generated, especially if it's a main mirror.
So far all people that submitted primary mirrors on "free" or "school" accounts got their account killed in one week.

About registering.. hmm.. who is the poor and starving student here? ^_^

> I just wanted you to know that I agree with what you said in the front page about people complaining about mirrors.
> These people ARE kind enough to donate time and space to host ROM's, and they should be thanked for
> their efforts less thye get upset and yank them.

> However, I also understand about people complaining, since I have had many problems with the servers myself.
> I miss the days when you used to be able to download a game directly from here the moment that it was
> released. Beeing a poor and starving college student :) I don't have the money to bid on some SMS game
> or other stuff that is out of my price range, and I'm sure others here are in the same boat. I'm not a leacher,
> but I do wish I could help support your efforts in some way.

> My question is --what if somebody was to make a server that you supported but you did'nt have to mantain?
> Have a 'offical' server, in which all roms are put onto. Allow registered users the ability to download games
> from it as soon as it comes out, and non-registered people 24 hours or so later. You can also add code
> that will prevent people from 'leeching' to the links, thus making sure that it stays fast and constant.

> My college gives me a lot of server space that I could use for a web page but I have no HTML skills or knowledge
> of how to make a web page. I'd donate my space to this project if you thought it was a good idea. And it
> would be a way I could help support SMS emulation without having any money available to spend. :)

> Just a suggestion. Feel free to bash it......my ego can take a hit. :)

> Greg
Blizzard
Post Posted: Wed Oct 27, 1999 4:47 am
I don't know about your college, but the University of Calgary has 3 responses to hosting illegal files on your webspace:
1. Kick out of university (means you really had something on there that they did not like)
2. Suspension for 1 year and denial of computer usage
3. Suspension of computer use for the rest of the time your at the university.

They even come down on people that have commercial stuff on thier accounts. They just get thier web space chopped from 5MB to 75KB (just enough for mail and or news)

About donating. I feel your pain. I have a debt higher than most people make in a year. Well not that high, but still.
I did manage to find something and send it. Try going to a local flea market or check the classifieds for people selling games. A local flea market had SMS games for $2 each here recently. Did not buy any because they were all SMS power releases. No point.

> Hi Zoop,

> I just wanted you to know that I agree with what you said in the front page about people complaining about mirrors.
> These people ARE kind enough to donate time and space to host ROM's, and they should be thanked for
> their efforts less thye get upset and yank them.

> However, I also understand about people complaining, since I have had many problems with the servers myself.
> I miss the days when you used to be able to download a game directly from here the moment that it was
> released. Beeing a poor and starving college student :) I don't have the money to bid on some SMS game
> or other stuff that is out of my price range, and I'm sure others here are in the same boat. I'm not a leacher,
> but I do wish I could help support your efforts in some way.

> My question is --what if somebody was to make a server that you supported but you did'nt have to mantain?
> Have a 'offical' server, in which all roms are put onto. Allow registered users the ability to download games
> from it as soon as it comes out, and non-registered people 24 hours or so later. You can also add code
> that will prevent people from 'leeching' to the links, thus making sure that it stays fast and constant.

> My college gives me a lot of server space that I could use for a web page but I have no HTML skills or knowledge
> of how to make a web page. I'd donate my space to this project if you thought it was a good idea. And it
> would be a way I could help support SMS emulation without having any money available to spend. :)

> Just a suggestion. Feel free to bash it......my ego can take a hit. :)

> Greg

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!