Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Cartridge dumpers ???

Reply to topic
Cartridge dumpers ???
Post Posted: Sun Aug 29, 1999 3:16 am
Hi all! Well, I have a question: what is exactly a dumper and how does it work? I´ve read something about them but I don´t understand yet... can anyone give me a little explanation? Thanks,
-Thöja.

Eric
Post Posted: Mon Aug 30, 1999 5:46 pm
> Hi all! Well, I have a question: what is exactly a dumper and how does it work? I´ve read something about them but I don´t understand yet... can anyone give me a little explanation? Thanks,
> -Thöja.

A cartridge dumper is a device used to read the contents of the ROM chip contained in a game cartridge and copy its data to other media (typically a file.)

Basically, a dumper counts through every memory address in the ROM, and copies the data at each address to a file, creating a pefect duplicate of the ROM data in the cartridge. The dumper itself contains the electronics necessary to "drive" the ROM chip pins required to read the data. It also contains the electronics necessary to send that data back to a computer for storage. Usually, the computer connected to the dumper is executing a custom program that controls the dumper and handles storing the data in a file.

SMS/GG dumpers are complicated by the paging scheme used in SMS/GG cartridges. This is (one reason) why building a SMS/GG dumper is expensive, and why some cartridges are not easily dumped.

Eric

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!