Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - vgm2midi

Reply to topic
vgm2midi
Post Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 8:09 am
How do you change the instuments on the PSG tab in options. Or am I using the wrong tab for a 4 channel sms vgm file. The thing should come with intructions. I'm using version 0.5
Post Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 4:49 am
> How do you change the instuments on the PSG tab in options. Or am I using the wrong tab for a 4 channel sms vgm file. The thing should come with intructions. I'm using version 0.5

Unfortunately, v0.5 will not allow you to change the instruments for the PSG. This is not by any means impossible, and will most likely be changed in a future release. Now that you mention it, I guess I should have included some sort of explanation for the different chips.

Since I didn't, here it is:

- PSG: both the SMS/Mark III and the Genesis/MD contain a Programmable Sound Generator. The PSG produces 'beepy' square waveforms, and is 'emulated' by vgm2mid by use of the 'Square Wave' patch This is the primary sound chip in the SMS. The 'PSG' tab in vgm2mid is the only tab that relates to PSG settings.

- YM2413: this is an FM synthesizer chip, and is used by the SMS/Mark III. The chip uses only a small number of pre-defined instruments, so I was easy to add a simple interface for customizing them. These settings apply only to the YM2413.

- YM2612: this is another FM synthesizer chip, and is used by the Genesis/MD. The 2612 contains no pre-defined instruments, so each game must contain its own custom instruments. That is why there is no option for instrument selection in vgm2mid. Like with the PSG, adding such support is not impossible, and may be added in the future.

Wakarimasu ka? Hoka no shitsumon ga attara, oshiete kudasai.

Paul
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!