Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Wonderboy 3 rom has sound problems?

Reply to topic
PolarBoy
Wonderboy 3 rom has sound problems?
Post Posted: Mon Jul 05, 1999 2:24 pm
When playing Wonderboy 3 today the music seemed somewhat lacking. Its like half the chords were missing if anyone knows what I mean, like the difference to hearing a midi tune on a soundblaster 16 compared to a 32. I am actually using Meka wiht the soundblaster 16 (option 1). I didn't think the SMS would have anything better for sound than this and the other roms I have played have all been fine. Is this just a WonderBoy 3 problem then? And also I only use the Sound blaster 16 setting despite having an awe32 because when I use option 2 Meka gives me the following error:

- SN76496: Ok
- YM2413: Ok
- Initializing soundcard..
- Rate: -21436Hz
- SEAL: Ok
- YM2413 (hardware): Ok
Initializing graphical user interface..
Shutting down Allegro
Exiting due to signal SIGSEGV
Page fault at eip=0008a3f1, error=0006
eax=0004b000 ebx=007a44a4 ecx=000082d8 edx=007ac000 esi=0004b008 edi=007ef4b0
ebp=0010a0e0 esp=0010a0cc program=C:JDEMULAT~1SEGA(M~1MEKAMEKA.EXE
cs: sel=00a7 base=82d89000 limit=007abfff
ds: sel=00af base=82d89000 limit=ffffffff
es: sel=00af base=82d89000 limit=ffffffff
fs: sel=00bf base=00000000 limit=0010ffff
gs: sel=00bf base=00000000 limit=0010ffff
ss: sel=00af base=82d89000 limit=ffffffff
App stack: [0010a158..000ca158] Exceptn stack: [000ca038..000c80f8]

Call frame traceback EIPs:
0x0008a3f1
0x00047ded

PolarBoy
Populous also has sound probs?
Post Posted: Mon Jul 05, 1999 2:34 pm
I just went to play Populous and before I even get into the game the "Welcome To Populous" speech is distorted in some way. I know it was duff speech anyway but I did have the cart and know its better. I presume either:

The SMS had better sound hardware than a soundblaster 16.
These roms are just dumped with sound probs the carts don't have.
Meka has difficulty emulating some games using a soundblaster 16.

Re: Populous also has sound probs?
Post Posted: Mon Jul 05, 1999 5:26 pm
> I just went to play Populous and before I even get into the game the "Welcome To Populous" speech is distorted in some way. I know it was duff speech anyway but I did have the cart and know its better. I presume either:

> The SMS had better sound hardware than a soundblaster 16.
> These roms are just dumped with sound probs the carts don't have.
> Meka has difficulty emulating some games using a soundblaster 16.

Right answer is: voices are simply not perfectly emulated yet.
Post Posted: Mon Jul 05, 1999 5:28 pm
> When playing Wonderboy 3 today the music seemed somewhat lacking. Its like half the chords were missing if anyone knows what I mean,

How do you know something was missing ? Did you ever heard the original game running on a system with the FM chipset ? I doubt so, as only Japanese machines got this chipset, and the game was never released in Japan.
If you don't like FM sound you can disable it for the games that support in in the SOUND menu.
PolarBoy
Post Posted: Mon Jul 05, 1999 7:52 pm
> > When playing Wonderboy 3 today the music seemed somewhat lacking. Its like half the chords were missing if anyone knows what I mean,

> How do you know something was missing ? Did you ever heard the original game running on a system with the FM chipset ? I doubt so, as only Japanese machines got this chipset, and the game was never released in Japan.
> If you don't like FM sound you can disable it for the games that support in in the SOUND menu.

I have the cart, not an import though, just the normal version. In the main game area you get to after killing the Meka dragon thing in the first level the hospital room and the water/land area to the right the background music seemed like it was only half there. I know I have FM enabled, so I will try disabling it anyway next time.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 06, 1999 6:49 pm
> I have the cart, not an import though, just the normal version. In the main game area you get to after killing the Meka dragon thing in the first level the hospital room and the water/land area to the right the background music seemed like it was only half there. I know I have FM enabled, so I will try disabling it anyway next time.

You should, since musics are completely different in PSG or FM modes.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!