Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - which SMS emulator is best??

Reply to topic
Mark
which SMS emulator is best??
Post Posted: Fri Jun 25, 1999 5:28 am
The subject says it. What's the opinion out there??

Limbs a Flyin'
Post Posted: Fri Jun 25, 1999 7:31 am
> The subject says it. What's the opinion out there??

there is only 3 'main' sms emus worth checking out at the moment, all have their strengths and weaknesses..

meka: highest compatibility, fm support (and a couple of other things. probably)
massage: fm support, quick and dirty gui which i like to think lets you load your game faster (sorry Zoop ;)
brsms: best voice support, probably fastest emulation

File selector
Post Posted: Fri Jun 25, 1999 9:08 am
> meka: highest compatibility, fm support (and a couple of other things. probably)
> massage: fm support, quick and dirty gui which i like to think lets you load your game faster (sorry Zoop ;)

I'll try to do something about that in Meka.
Couldn't you have asked before ? :)

> brsms: best voice support, probably fastest emulation
Limbs a Flyin'
Re: File selector
Post Posted: Fri Jun 25, 1999 12:50 pm

> > massage: fm support, quick and dirty gui which i like to think lets you load your game faster (sorry Zoop ;)

>
> I'll try to do something about that in Meka.
> Couldn't you have asked before ? :)

no, i mean as soon as you start massage, you get yer file selection screen, and its also bound to F5.
unlike meka where you have a more complex gui to deal with ;) (yeah i know ctrl+l for load file, right?) being able to press a letter in that file open dialog to jump to the first file starting with that letter would be a handy feature, as well as being able to use the up+down keys. like massage ;)

Raul Torres
Post Posted: Fri Jun 25, 1999 2:26 pm
> > The subject says it. What's the opinion out there??

> there is only 3 'main' sms emus worth checking out at the moment, all have their strengths and weaknesses..

> meka: highest compatibility, fm support (and a couple of other things. probably)
> massage: fm support, quick and dirty gui which i like to think lets you load your game faster (sorry Zoop ;)
> brsms: best voice support, probably fastest emulation

Well, they're many Master System emulators available. For me, the best emulator is the one that suit the
capacities of your computer. I test 4 emulators. These are:

Massage - The first emulator I test and the one that introduced me to the emulation fever. It's good,
runs fast on my P133, and emulates most of SMS and GG games. The only bug I found is
that after 30 minutes, it crash the sound card and sound doesn't work for a while.

BRSMS - This one is the best emulator I tested. The voices of some games are clear and loud, has a
really fast emulation and a good two-player keyboard controllers. The only posible downside
is that you need to write the command line to run it, and there still users who doen't have any
knowledge of DOS.

MEKA - This one is really great. The best GUI I ever see on a DOS application. Very faithful SMS
emulation; also has the hidden labyrinth game. (turn on the power. Then, after you see the
instructions of use, press up and simultaneously press Ctrl + Alt). A posibly downside should be
CPU power-I have a P133 computer, it posibly will emulate slower on i486.

SMSfan- This one is a Japanesse emulator. It runs fairly fast, and have two downsides. The first one,
require Japanesse reading skills, since everything, including the readme file, are in Japanesse;
the second one, requires registration code. Another downside is that you will have problems
configuring the controls, since the D-pad is useless and the buttons 1 and 2 activates both
controllers in a two-player game.

I hope that this Follow up can be useful for everybody in the forum.

P-Strife
SMSFAN requires either a SVGA monitor or a SVGA card, won't play any games for me *nt*
Post Posted: Fri Jun 25, 1999 5:33 pm
> > > The subject says it. What's the opinion out there??
> > there is only 3 'main' sms emus worth checking out at the moment, all have their strengths and weaknesses..
> > meka: highest compatibility, fm support (and a couple of other things. probably)
> > massage: fm support, quick and dirty gui which i like to think lets you load your game faster (sorry Zoop ;)
> > brsms: best voice support, probably fastest emulation
> Well, they're many Master System emulators available. For me, the best emulator is the one that suit the
> capacities of your computer. I test 4 emulators. These are:
> Massage - The first emulator I test and the one that introduced me to the emulation fever. It's good,
> runs fast on my P133, and emulates most of SMS and GG games. The only bug I found is
> that after 30 minutes, it crash the sound card and sound doesn't work for a while.
>
> BRSMS - This one is the best emulator I tested. The voices of some games are clear and loud, has a
> really fast emulation and a good two-player keyboard controllers. The only posible downside
> is that you need to write the command line to run it, and there still users who doen't have any
&gt knowledge of DOS.
&gt MEKA - This one is really great. The best GUI I ever see on a DOS application. Very faithful SMS
&gt emulation; also has the hidden labyrinth game. (turn on the power. Then, after you see the
&gt instructions of use, press up and simultaneously press Ctrl + Alt). A posibly downside should be
&gt CPU power-I have a P133 computer, it posibly will emulate slower on i486.
&gt SMSfan- This one is a Japanesse emulator. It runs fairly fast, and have two downsides. The first one,
&gt require Japanesse reading skills, since everything, including the readme file, are in Japanesse;
&gt the second one, requires registration code. Another downside is that you will have problems
&gt configuring the controls, since the D-pad is useless and the buttons 1 and 2 activates both
&gt controllers in a two-player game.
&gt I hope that this Follow up can be useful for everybody in the forum.

krusty
For people who like ease of use, Meka is the way to go. I haven't had one single problem with it.*
Post Posted: Fri Jun 25, 1999 7:31 pm
> The subject says it. What's the opinion out there??

Aprentice
Re: File selector - EVEN BETTER
Post Posted: Fri Jun 25, 1999 8:59 pm
>
> > > massage: fm support, quick and dirty gui which i like to think lets you load your game faster (sorry Zoop ;)

It would be nice if it had no gui till you pressed the escape button. Also a Bigger full screen mode and optomizations.

Re: File selector - EVEN BETTER
Post Posted: Sat Jun 26, 1999 12:47 pm
> It would be nice if it had no gui till you pressed the escape button.

You can do that by editing the configuration file.

> Also a Bigger full screen mode

Depends on your video card / screen / resolution.

>and optomizations.

Yes.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!