SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Trivial Pursuit

Reply to topic
Joni
Trivial Pursuit
Post Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:33 pm
Is is possible for you guys to hack all the questions and right answers from a game like Trivial Pursuit?

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:01 pm
> Is is possible for you guys to hack all the questions and right answers from a game like Trivial Pursuit?

Yeah, it's possible. Why, though? It's easy to cheat anyway, just always say "yes" when it asks if you got it right.

Maxim
Joni
Post Posted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:00 am
> > Is is possible for you guys to hack all the questions and right answers from a game like Trivial Pursuit?

> Yeah, it's possible. Why, though? It's easy to cheat anyway, just always say "yes" when it asks if you got it right.

> Maxim

I want to make a FAQ for GameFAQs (www.gamefaqs.com) and it would help to include that.

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:09 pm
> > > Is is possible for you guys to hack all the questions and right answers from a game like Trivial Pursuit?

> > Yeah, it's possible. Why, though? It's easy to cheat anyway, just always say "yes" when it asks if you got it right.

> I want to make a FAQ for GameFAQs (www.gamefaqs.com) and it would help to include that.

OK, I had a quick look. It's using dictionary-based compression, I think; there's a big table of words or part-words (they use ASCII which helps) and the questions/answers are presumably referencing the entries in there to build the full text. It'd take at least a few hours to isolate everything needed and hack together a program to dump it... probably. Maybe some translation-focused script dumping utilities can do it, but I have no experience of that.

A possibly easier method might be to figure out where it puts its random numbers in RAM, and make a RAM patch to allow you to choose the question it displays. It wouldn't be an automatic dump, so it'd take ages to get all the results out.

Maxim
Joni
Post Posted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:40 pm
> A possibly easier method might be to figure out where it puts its random numbers in RAM, and make a RAM patch to allow you to choose the question it displays. It wouldn't be an automatic dump, so it'd take ages to get all the results out.

That would be nice if that is possible. I'd just have to take screens and type it up.

Joni
(Thanks for doing already so much, it is much appreciated)

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:20 pm
So a few *cough* years later I had a look... and I've extracted all 7200 questions from the game (to come at http://www.smspower.org/Cheats/TrivialPursuit-SMS ), reverse engineered the picture data to rip all 325 pictures (at http://www.smspower.org/Maps/TrivialPursuit-SMS ), and then the (simplified) music engine to rip all ~280 music questions (to come at http://www.smspower.org/Music/TrivialPursuit-SMS ). Technical notes will also come at http://www.smspower.org/Development/TrivialPursuit-SMS . It's taken a while to get this far - including implementing the drawing and music engines in Javascript, for a challenge - so the rest may take a week or to to finish off. Labelling all 280 tracks is going to be tough.
Trivial Pursuit
Post Posted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:22 am
Legend.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon May 21, 2018 1:02 pm
Questions and answers are posted. I noticed some have invalid text, and some are just nonsense - but only in the non-English questions. I reproduced this in the game. I wonder if people saw this at the time?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat May 26, 2018 9:00 pm
Technical notes and JS dumper are posted. All that's left now is to finish off the VGM pack - which means ripping the actual music from the game too.
Post Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:19 pm
Last edited by Phil on Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hi - New reply to an old thread...

Would it be possible to hack this rom and fix the known 6 player bug?

If or when you play this game with 6 players, everyone takes their turn and the game works fine. When the game scrolls back to the 1st player again, the player's name is all scrambled with random characters. The playing piece also appears at a random position on the board. Pressing button 2 for the menu, then resuming the game takes you back to the correct space and the name appears fine. It's a weird bug!

Would someone have a look into this?

Many Thanks!
Post Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:21 pm
Is that a bug in the original game? No QA performed?
Post Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:52 pm
Yes it is a bug in the original game.

If you enter 6 players names to start, then quickly get the questions wrong so it resorts back to the 1st player you will see what I mean.

6 of us played on this version about 25 years ago and I remember it having this bug. Taking out a player and playing with only 5 solved the problem. Just worked out by entering the menu then exiting solves it too, but you have to do it each time it's the 1st player's go again.

I also read about this back in the day. Some reader wrote into Sega Pro and I think they asked Domark directly, who had no idea of the issue. Guess it was lack of play testing on their part!

Would be nice if the game bug could be fixed!

Just in case I play another 6 player game in another 25 years time!
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!