Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Java VGM Player

Reply to topic
Java VGM Player
Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2002 10:33 pm
I have written a Java-based VGM player which runs as an applet on a web page. It supports PSG music, VGM and VGZ files, looping (if only one file is played), playlists (for more than one file), and is about 9Kb. Go to my test page to have a listen. There are six VGMs in the playlist, then it will repeat. Tell me what you think of it.

finaldave
Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 11:18 am
> I have written a Java-based VGM player which runs as an applet on a web page. It supports PSG music, VGM and VGZ files, looping (if only one file is played), playlists (for more than one file), and is about 9Kb. Go to my test page to have a listen. There are six VGMs in the playlist, then it will repeat. Tell me what you think of it.

Cool! That's excellent - do you think I could use it on the www.finalburn.com/dega/ page?
Is it possible to have the player off by default, but can be played and stopped by pressing a button? That would make it more friendly to people surfing in offices (like me currently!)

Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 11:49 am
No problem - you can use it all you want. I'm still working on it, and this is just a test version. I'm going to add a little GUI and some more options (like off by default, random playlist and so on). This is actually my first applet, so I'm still fumbling my way through it. Further releases will follow...
  • Site Admin
Java 1?
Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 12:06 pm
I think Java 1 doesn't have the necessary sound support, but while the big 2 1 browser doesn't come with Java 2 by default, it's going to be a problem. Especially if Java 2 is still as nasty as it was when I installed it for JavaGear.

And with IE phasing out support for Netscape-style browser plugins, and only supporting ActiveX, it's a PITA really. Hmmph.

Maxim
Java 1 / Updated Version
Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 1:39 pm
Alas, it is impossible to get this to work in Java 1, because I'm using the javax.sound.sampled library to output the emulated audio, which isn't in Java 1. It works fine in Netscape, and on Internet Explorer using Sun's JDK plug in.

I've also just uploaded a newer version, with a (very) simple interface, and a (very) bad skin. It lets you start, stop, and step through the playlist, and it will also display the song name and game.

Please, if you can improve on this skin, then do so. It really sucks, because I drew it in MS Paint in two minutes. Oh, and if anyone can help with FM emulation in Java, I would appreciate it. Yes, Java's probably too slow, but I can still try, can't I?
finaldave
Re: Java 1 / Updated Version
Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 5:38 pm
> Alas, it is impossible to get this to work in Java 1, because I'm using the javax.sound.sampled library to output the emulated audio, which isn't in Java 1. It works fine in Netscape, and on Internet Explorer using Sun's JDK plug in.

Doesn't work here - clicking on play does nothing.

> I've also just uploaded a newer version, with a (very) simple interface, and a (very) bad skin. It lets you start, stop, and step through the playlist, and it will also display the song name and game.

> Please, if you can improve on this skin, then do so. It really sucks, because I drew it in MS Paint in two minutes. Oh, and if anyone can help with FM emulation in Java, I would appreciate it. Yes, Java's probably too slow, but I can still try, can't I?

Re: Updated Version
Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 11:28 am
> Doesn't work here - clicking on play does nothing.

Weird. If it worked fine before, the only difference (apart from the UI, which I am sure works OK) is that the newer version doesn't load in one go. I've packed it in a JAR archive, and rewritten the whole thing so that the whole thing stays loaded. This should fix it.

If not, tell me, and tell me what Java VM and what browser you're using. I'm using the Sun Java Hotspot VM that comes with JDK 1.3, with IE6.0, and it's fine here.
finaldave
i have IE5 sp2
Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 5:04 pm
> > Doesn't work here - clicking on play does nothing.

> Weird. If it worked fine before, the only difference (apart from the UI, which I am sure works OK) is that the newer version doesn't load in one go. I've packed it in a JAR archive, and rewritten the whole thing so that the whole thing stays loaded. This should fix it.

> If not, tell me, and tell me what Java VM and what browser you're using. I'm using the Sun Java Hotspot VM that comes with JDK 1.3, with IE6.0, and it's fine here.

finaldave
Update
Post Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2002 8:09 pm
> > > Doesn't work here - clicking on play does nothing.

> > Weird. If it worked fine before, the only difference (apart from the UI, which I am sure works OK) is that the newer version doesn't load in one go. I've packed it in a JAR archive, and rewritten the whole thing so that the whole thing stays loaded. This should fix it.

> > If not, tell me, and tell me what Java VM and what browser you're using. I'm using the Sun Java Hotspot VM that comes with JDK 1.3, with IE6.0, and it's fine here.

Update, I installed a recent Java SDK and it now works fine!

Re: Update
Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 10:49 am
What were you using? I'm using an SDK Java VM, and mine's fine. Maybe it's a problem with Microsoft's VM (if it works on the official VM and not Microsoft's VM, it's Microsoft's fault), or you were just using a version that was too old.

Anyway, any comments? Feature requests (within reason)?
finaldave
Re: Update
Post Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 11:49 am
> What were you using? I'm using an SDK Java VM, and mine's fine. Maybe it's a problem with Microsoft's VM (if it works on the official VM and not Microsoft's VM, it's Microsoft's fault), or you were just using a version that was too old.

Probably too old, I don't know.

> Anyway, any comments? Feature requests (within reason)?

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!