SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Pause mod on japanese Master System

Reply to topic
Pause mod on japanese Master System
Post Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 9:52 pm
Hello!

Is there any hardware difference on the MK-2000 japanese Master System that hinders the controller pause mod? I've tried it twice, with different mods, and got weird results.

First, I've tried the "two ports,logic gate" method, following both the SMSPower page and this one:

https://circuit-board.de/forum/index.php/Thread/35312-Master-System-1-Controller...

I've found the necessary connections (up, down, 5v and ground) on the Sega 315-5297 chip pinout and also got the pause signal, first from the 5124 and later from the contact of the tactile button itself. They were all correct, based of continuity tests of similar points on the board. This resulted in nothing; not only the pause function did not work on the controller, the pause button on the console itself (and the turbo button) stopped working. Removed the mod, the console buttons worked flawlessly again. Tried again with new wires and chip, same results.

Then, I tried this option, based on this page and also a couple of YT videos:

http://www.jenesuis.net/dossiers/mastersysteminstallerunboutonpausesursamanette

Now, the mod worked, but with a very weird collateral effect. Pressing the button that joins the up and down signals, the game paused... but every time I pressed up or down on the dpad, the game also paused! If I held any of those directions for a while (like swimming in the bottom of the first AKMW stage), the character would behave normally, but the moment I let it go, the game would pause. I even tried adding a diode on the pause signal, like the first mod, but got the same results. Oh, and with this mod, the pause button on the console worked perfectly.

As for the controllers used, I've first tried a 8bitdo M30 with a DIY blueretro receiver, with the start button mapped for both up and down. Also tried a wired Mega Drive 6 button controller with a improvised switch (with diodes) linking up/down, other wireless controllers on a different 8bitdo bluetooth receiver and even a wired Master System controller. All of them behaved the same, not working the pause function on the first mod and pausing by pressing the directions on the second one (even unmodded, wired controllers did this).

I've followed the guides and triple-checked everything, so I'm just guessing there might be something different about the MK-2000 on this subject. But if anyone can recognize some of the weird results and what may be causing them ( i. e. what stupid mistake I've made somewhere =) ), please do tell.

Thanks!
Post Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 1:22 am
It's probably best if you include pics of your work, it's hard to tell where you may have gone wrong just going from a text description.
Post Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:55 pm
ApolloBoy wrote
It's probably best if you include pics of your work, it's hard to tell where you may have gone wrong just going from a text description.

You're right, I'm sorry. I've already took everything off the console and didn't take photos :( But I assure you I've followed both the guides exactly, the connections and the IC assembly were the same.
Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:51 pm
I got segasonicfan to install his Uni Gen adapter in both controller ports of my NA SMS and Mark III MS.

It makes the Start button of Genesis controller the Pause button.

It also allows 6-button Genesis controllers to work with all SMS games and can allow a rapid fire to be enabled/disable with an input combo.
Post Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 12:27 am
Black_Tiger wrote
I got segasonicfan to install his Uni Gen adapter in both controller ports of my NA SMS and Mark III MS.

It makes the Start button of Genesis controller the Pause button.

It also allows 6-button Genesis controllers to work with all SMS games and can allow a rapid fire to be enabled/disable with an input combo.

Interesting, didn't know about the Uni Gen, looks promising for my case. Thanks for the tip! :)
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!