Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Running MEKA on Linux

Reply to topic
Running MEKA on Linux
Post Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:55 pm
Last edited by Slipper Con-sole on Tue Jun 25, 2024 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
[Edit: As a workaround for the crash, I'm now using the Windows build under Wine]

I tried to build and run MEKA on Ubuntu and I got to see the UI for a fraction of a second, then it crashed. Trying to run it more times, it sometimes shows the UI for a longer amount of time but still crashes before I can pick a ROM file. And one time it never crashed but did seem to stop responding to input. I was able to find out that when it crashes, it's a segmentation fault.

Running it under Valgrind, I can see a bunch of warnings, which start like this:

Initializing graphical user interface...
Initializing debugger...
==22843== Conditional jump or move depends on uninitialised value(s)
==22843==    at 0x44AD8B: widget_closebox_update(t_widget*) (g_widget.cpp:287)
==22843==    by 0x44A829: widgets_call_update() (g_widget.cpp:149)
==22843==    by 0x44DE04: gui_update() (g_update.cpp:111)
==22843==    by 0x425471: Video_RefreshScreen() (video.cpp:436)
==22843==    by 0x42D81A: Main_Loop_No_Emulation() (mainloop.cpp:108)

It did crash pretty quickly, but the output was long enough that I'm putting it in a file instead of making this message really long.

I notice that issue 69 on the GitHub repo appears to be about segmentation faults on Linux, not sure if the issue they've had is the same.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 4:28 pm
Not sure if I should post this as a reply or just edit the original post (so I guess I'll do both): It seems the latest released Windows build does work on Linux (under Wine). So I can run it that way. This does mean I can't easily edit the source code and build something that works, but as long as I don't need to tweak the emulator's source code I can easily run it without crashes.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!