Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Teddy boy in Numberworld

Reply to topic
Teddy boy in Numberworld
Post Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 8:50 am
Last edited by AlexKidd76 on Mon Jun 10, 2024 1:46 pm; edited 8 times in total
Hi everyone!
After the time "wasted" for my Alex Kidd M.W. italian translation (didn't know somebody else already did it, sadly... but nevertheless it's been a nice experience to me ^_^) here's a hack, on which I've spent a few hours on, I'm pretty sure didn't exist until today lol.

Our little hero Teddy boy is trapped in a very strange world made of numbers! Can he find a way out? And more importantly: can he COUNT on your help? :D

20 number-themed levels (with some digits quite originally drown!) and increasing difficulty:
fight to reach the super challenging 20th round, and beat it!

Enjoy the hack and let me know what you think :)
Ciao from Italy
Dani

p.s. I made a few other Teddy boy hacks too :-P
1.png (124.35 KB)
First round: piece of cake!
1.png
4.png (187.96 KB)
Round 4, folks!
4.png
6.png (142.45 KB)
6... but in letters!
6.png
7.png (128.44 KB)
How high can you reach?
7.png
12.png (148.17 KB)
It's 12 o'clock!
12.png
Numberworld.ips (5.86 KB)
Here's the patch :)

Post Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 12:00 pm
Well done mate, this looks great and not sure a hack I've seen before. Hard luck of the Alex Kidd (Italian) version you were working on.
Post Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 8:01 pm
This looks neat! Are you submitting them to romhacking.net as well?
Post Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 6:42 pm
PrOfUnD Darkness wrote

I just did, thank you for the tip! Hope everything is set fine and they will accept it... I almost spent more time trying submitting the hack, than creating it lol (first time for me doing it on romhacking.net... what a pain! hahaha)

EDIT: they rejected my submission because the screenshots (which I had to resize to match the format required) are not... good enough, in terms of quality (yes, that's painful).
Problem is Fusion don't have a screenshot tool, and Emulicious saves in 1024x576... and if I resize, the picture loses it's quality (apparently): what should I do to save good 256x192 (or 256x224/256x240) pics? Use Meka? (which I don't use since 2000 lol) Please help!
Post Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:42 pm
AlexKidd76 wrote

Problem is Fusion don't have a screenshot tool,

Fusion does have a screenshot function (Shift-F12). Problem is that it's not very good because it doesn't save in the native SMS resolution but only in the windowed resolution (which itself is upscaled to the Genesis' 320x240 resolution. It does leave borders so vertically it could be manually cropped out to the correct vertical size, however the horizontal dimension is still screwed up).
Not too surprising since Fusion surely was designed as a Genesis emulator first with 8-bit support second.
Post Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2024 4:15 am
AlexKidd76 wrote
PrOfUnD Darkness wrote

I just did, thank you for the tip! Hope everything is set fine and they will accept it... I almost spent more time trying submitting the hack, than creating it lol (first time for me doing it on romhacking.net... what a pain! hahaha)

EDIT: they rejected my submission because the screenshots (which I had to resize to match the format required) are not... good enough, in terms of quality (yes, that's painful).
Problem is Fusion don't have a screenshot tool, and Emulicious saves in 1024x576... and if I resize, the picture loses it's quality (apparently): what should I do to save good 256x192 (or 256x224/256x240) pics? Use Meka? (which I don't use since 2000 lol) Please help!

Emulicious screenshots take your PAR setting into account. So if you want 1:1 PAR screenshots, you can set the PAR to 1:1.
Post Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2024 4:35 am
This looks really good!

Wouldn't mind giving it a go but where is the patch?

Is it on ROMHACKING(.)NET?

Also that site gave me a hell of a time when I tried to submit my ROM hack of Alex Kidd back in 2021 so I know what you went through. Not only did they reject it but I was told I had no rights to do anything over there, not even a game description in my own words, the approval process was extremely painful which led me to give up and post it here with file sharing links as an alternative download option outside of this forum. It was a horrible experience for me personally.

Probably best to just post the patch here and use file sharing links outside of this forum to offer people an easier alternative.
Post Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2024 5:34 pm
Last edited by AlexKidd76 on Fri Jun 14, 2024 8:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
Calindro wrote
AlexKidd76 wrote
PrOfUnD Darkness wrote

Emulicious screenshots take your PAR setting into account. So if you want 1:1 PAR screenshots, you can set the PAR to 1:1.

Spent a few minutes to figure out by PAR you mean Pixel Aspect Ratio and not Pro Action Replay lol. Thanks Calindro. The screenshots looks a little blurry, but I hope it's acceptable for romhacking.net (this will be my last try, I have a life haha): just submitted, let's fingercross!
Post Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2024 5:41 pm
Adrian wrote
This looks really good!

Wouldn't mind giving it a go but where is the patch?

Is it on ROMHACKING(.)NET?

Also that site gave me a hell of a time when I tried to submit my ROM hack of Alex Kidd back in 2021 so I know what you went through. Not only did they reject it but I was told I had no rights to do anything over there, not even a game description in my own words, the approval process was extremely painful which led me to give up and post it here with file sharing links as an alternative download option outside of this forum. It was a horrible experience for me personally.

Probably best to just post the patch here and use file sharing links outside of this forum to offer people an easier alternative.

Adrian the patch is in the first post of this page, how could you miss it? About the painful experience... oh yea, we can empathize each other lol :D
As I told Calindro, I just submitted it to romhacking.net for the last time. They won't like the "slightly blurry" shots and reject me again? I'm cool: my local nerd friends already enjoyed the hack ^_^
Totally agree with your last words as well.
Post Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:29 am
Because i'm an idiot.

Forgive me mate, I mistook it for one of the screenshots. Mind is like mesh at the moment.

Yeah, thanks for the response. SMS Power is very friendly here so as long as you got it here that's all that matters.
Other Teddy Boy Hacks
Post Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:22 am
Hi, one of my favourite games as a kid. Had no idea there were hacks. Where can I find your other TB romhacks?
Post Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2024 2:37 pm
Adrian wrote
Because i'm an idiot.

Forgive me mate, I mistook it for one of the screenshots. Mind is like mesh at the moment.

Yeah, thanks for the response. SMS Power is very friendly here so as long as you got it here that's all that matters.

haha no problem mate, we're humans!
Anyway, I'm so happy they accepted my submission! Go have a look:
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/8676/

And yes I agree, I thank Smspower too, and hope to find the time to realize and post some more cool hacks in the future!
Post Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2024 2:41 pm
BlackSunshine86 wrote
Hi, one of my favourite games as a kid. Had no idea there were hacks. Where can I find your other TB romhacks?

Let's say the other ones I have are WIP... but stay tuned :) and in the meantime, please give some feedback to Numberworld!
Grazie e ciao (thanks & see ya)
Dani
Post Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:29 pm
AlexKidd76 wrote
Calindro wrote
AlexKidd76 wrote
PrOfUnD Darkness wrote

Spent a few minutes to figure out by PAR you mean Pixel Aspect Ratio and not Pro Action Replay lol. Thanks Calindro. The screenshots looks a little blurry, but I hope it's acceptable for romhacking.net (this will be my last try, I have a life haha): just submitted, let's fingercross!

Yes, sorry Pixel Aspect Ratio is what I meant. Screenshots from Emulicious are unfiltered. If it looks blurry, it's your viewer applying a filter. I think one of Windows's default image viewers does that when zooming into an image.
Post Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:42 pm
Calindro wrote
AlexKidd76 wrote
Calindro wrote
AlexKidd76 wrote
PrOfUnD Darkness wrote

Yes, sorry Pixel Aspect Ratio is what I meant. Screenshots from Emulicious are unfiltered. If it looks blurry, it's your viewer applying a filter. I think one of Windows's default image viewers does that when zooming into an image.

You're right, thanks again for the hint.
And as a big Alex Kidd fan, I'll never stop being grateful for KiddEd as well, but... u already know that :D
Grazie di esistere <3
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!