Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - [Coding competition 2024] Alter Ego Demo by Kusfo (Together with ManuSegura, Davidian, SrPresley)

Reply to topic

Rate this entry!

1 (Terrible) 0% 0%
2 0% 0%
3 0% 0%
4 0% 0%
5 0% 0%
6 4% 4%
7 9% 9%
8 59% 59%
9 18% 18%
10 (Excellent) 9% 9%
This poll has expired.
  • Site Admin
[Coding competition 2024] Alter Ego Demo by Kusfo (Together with ManuSegura, Davidian, SrPresley)
Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:18 pm
Last edited by Maxim on Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:13 am; edited 1 time in total
https://www.smspower.org/Homebrew/AlterEgo-SMS

Alter Ego is a puzzle game originally released by Retrosouls (Denis Grachev) for the Zx-Spectrum, and later ported to half a dozen platforms, including a Nes version by Shiru and a Megadrive one by Retrosouls themselves.

This is a demo of our take on the Master System. It originally started as one of my first tests with devkitSMS, and some months ago I rewrote it from scratch. It's still not a complete product, although all original levels have already been ported. The game still lacks better graphics (current ones are based on the Nes version) and most of the in-game music (currently only using 2 different tracks).

The goal of the game is to guide your avatar and your "alter ego" across several different levels, collecting all the bouncing "pixels" while avoiding the insidious skulls.
Very funny game
Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:21 am
Really I´m enjoying this game, really funny.
Now i´m in icelands trying to solve, I found I can escape from the main square.
Congratulations to the team for this great entry.
M

Demo Finished
Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:58 am
Demo Finished!!!
Very good job and I want more ...

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:13 am
Hey, nice idea, like it, and good graphics and music, also !!!

But... one question... I know, this is a remake of a consolidated game, but... it needs, truly, to limit the number of swaps??? Maybe could have an option to have unlimited changes, it should be as interesting as it is, letting begginers an easier way to get inside the game mechanics.
Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:19 am
I'm looking forward to seeing the completed version. Alter Ego is always a treat, doesn't matter the platform - its gameplay is well balanced and refined. But the work you guys did with the visuals and sound made it feel right at home in the Master System. Another good job from Tuxedo!
Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:02 pm
Very entertaining, @kusfo - a faithful conversion in particular from the NES version. Great work!

I know you said you want to do more on the graphics and sound, but honestly the gameplay is so strong that it doesn't feel like it particularly needs it (the Spectrum version is a case in point!), although I do think the NES graphics and sounds are very cute.

I know what eruiz means about whether you could push the conventions at all - I think it's a personal matter whether you aim for faithfulness or a new spin. My gripe with the original is the limited lives rather than the limited swaps. I think the limited swaps does emphasise the puzzle nature of the game, but it is a bit annoying to lose lives every time you fail only to have to go back to the beginning again!

Also, one minor issue I had while playing through is that there's a delay at the beginning of each level, and I tend to habitually press button 1 to skip it, which often results in an accidental wasted swap. Perhaps some kind of hold-off so that the swap doesn't happen until a second after you first land on the ground at the start of the level would help.
Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:54 pm
My favorite in this compo.
Post Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:16 pm
Thanks for your words guys!!

I've still to refine controls, so the multiple swaps, etc should now happen in future versions.

Also, I plan to allow to save game, and I'm thinking how this will combine with lives (and maybe swaps). Once I've thought about it, I'll try to satisfy most of the people.
Post Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:54 pm
Really nice. I was aware this game existed, but I never played it. Works quite well and the graphics and sound are of high quality.
Post Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:38 am
I remember a few years ago there was a planned port of this software, and I'm happy it finally happened because it's indeed a very interesting game.
It looks and sounds and plays very nicely, great work!
Post Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:23 am
What a nice little platformer, I admit I was fooled by its simplistic looks but the puzzles have some interesting twists from the mechanics. Great job!
Post Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:29 pm
sverx wrote
I remember a few years ago there was a planned port of this software, and I'm happy it finally happened because it's indeed a very interesting game.
It looks and sounds and plays very nicely, great work!

I started it as one of my first devkitsms projects, porting the nes source code. But this is a rebooted project, and the code has been done from scratch (but not the graphics )
Post Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:48 pm
One of my favorites this year, it feels very polished. The music and graphics are nicely done!
Unique game mechanic
Post Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:33 pm
Hi kusfo - for me this has quite a unique game mechanic as I've not encountered this type of game play before so great job. The graphics look really cool 8-bit 80s look n feel which is awesome. If you were going to add to this I think a level select would be cool - congrats nice job!
Post Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:35 am
Playing this since some 15 minutes now, still trying to solve some levels.
It's a nice game, and a really nice port - good work!

By the way, running on Emulicious, I've stumbled upon an
Reading from uninitialized memory at RAM:DFF0

at 00:35BC. It doesn't break the game but you might want to look into it :)
Post Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:02 pm
Thanks for your words @sverx! this was one of the first projects I wanted to do when you released devkitsms :-)

About the uninitialized ram, I rushed a bit to release a demo, I'll check, probably it's an out of bounds array!

And thanks for your words @SteveProXNA , I missed your post!
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!