SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Design test 04

Reply to topic
  • Site Admin
Design test 04
Post Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 4:42 pm
It took me all the afternoon but I think it's getting somewhere now...
http://wip.smspower.org/tests/games/test04.html

What do you think ?

A few things to solve:
- resizing. should we work out on a site that only fit a 640 or 800 width (etc...) or one that can be resized to any width ?
- font size. may or not look correct depending on your configuration.

Also I wanted to add numbers next to items in the "navigation bar", like the number of screenshots, medias, etc. Basically more information so the user doesn't click on medias if there's nothing interesting.

Any suggestion/fix welcome.
It seems to work the same with IE 6 and Mozilla 1.5, I had various problems to get there (BR and newline handling seems to be different between them). I'm interested to know how good/bad it display with other browsers.
I will attempt to install Netscape 4 it to see how it works with "legacy" browser.

I also have to clean the code, but this is just a design test now.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:40 pm
It looks good. I really like the direction its heading in. I do have a suggestion or thought perhaps. how are we doing the game manuals?? just text?? or jpg or maybe pdf?? what your thoughts on it?
  • Site Admin
Manuals & cover text
Post Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:02 pm
> It looks good. I really like the direction its heading in. I do have a suggestion or thought perhaps. how are we doing the game manuals?? just text?? or jpg or maybe pdf?? what your thoughts on it?

Scans are the easiest. If manuals can be typed (ala Sega Notebook) or converted to PDF, it's also good to have both. Building PDF is very time consuming, but we'll probably be able to type some of them.

I also want to have box description text done. The Japanese ones especially are very short and I am volonteer to type them all, the english/european ones are much longer. I think Maxim did them already for FreezeSMS' GUI.

I'm not sure where to store and display them on the website, however. Along with box scans?
The main (=english) description from the box could be pasted on the main game page, also. But they are often different between European and US release so we'll have to stick them both or choose.
  • Site Admin
Works well with Opera 7.3 build 3227 *nt*
Post Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:13 pm
> It took me all the afternoon but I think it's getting somewhere now...
> http://wip.smspower.org/tests/games/test04.html

> What do you think ?

> A few things to solve:
> - resizing. should we work out on a site that only fit a 640 or 800 width (etc...) or one that can be resized to any width ?
> - font size. may or not look correct depending on your configuration.

> Also I wanted to add numbers next to items in the "navigation bar", like the number of screenshots, medias, etc. Basically more information so the user doesn't click on medias if there's nothing interesting.

> Any suggestion/fix welcome.
> It seems to work the same with IE 6 and Mozilla 1.5, I had various problems to get there (BR and newline handling seems to be different between them). I'm interested to know how good/bad it display with other browsers.
> I will attempt to install Netscape 4 it to see how it works with "legacy" browser.

> I also have to clean the code, but this is just a design test now.
  • Site Admin
Re: Manuals & cover text
Post Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:31 am
> > It looks good. I really like the direction its heading in. I do have a suggestion or thought perhaps. how are we doing the game manuals?? just text?? or jpg or maybe pdf?? what your thoughts on it?

> Scans are the easiest. If manuals can be typed (ala Sega Notebook) or converted to PDF, it's also good to have both. Building PDF is very time consuming, but we'll probably be able to type some of them.

Formatting is an issue; perhaps we can define a standard CSS for it and get people to stick to that. Manual artwork needs to be scanned (and the thin pages make scans look bad). Given time, OCR software can be trained to work well with the manual font. Screenshots are always a problem; should they be scanned or re-made from an emulator?

> I also want to have box description text done. The Japanese ones especially are very short and I am volonteer to type them all, the english/european ones are much longer. I think Maxim did them already for FreezeSMS' GUI.

I hereby give permission to take all that box text from the FRZ files. I still ahve them on my hard disk somewhere...

> I'm not sure where to store and display them on the website, however. Along with box scans?

Well, manuals and booklets really need their own page-handling script.

> The main (=english) description from the box could be pasted on the main game page, also. But they are often different between European and US release so we'll have to stick them both or choose.

The European one is nearly always a short version of the US one in my experience.

Maxim
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!