View topic - Competitions 2024

Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:35 pm
segarule wrote
Z80ASMprogrammer2022 wrote
segarule wrote
segarule wrote
Well, i tested the homebrews in my original hardware. BTW i dont will vote or test the hacks entries. Im old and tired to apply patches in each rom. Unfortunately, i think that my SMS is with problems in colors because some games dont show an image good enough.I had problems with Spaghetti Numbers which i got see almost nothing; Land on my Base the problem is that text Solar Wind is so to left that have cut in screen; Mai Nurse is playable but the resolution not excellentThe other games dont have problems. VGM Player dont worked but i guess that is my chinese everdrive fault.
Homebrews vs Reset button.
I dont if is hard implement a function for reset button but is frustrating i need power off everytime my console. Stygian Quest show a status menu when reset pressed. The game is beauty.
A interesting mention will go to Bomb Jack Remake.While i dont like it in emulator in other hands in my console it goes fine! In my first gameplay i got level 22! Everything runs fine.
Congratulations to all devs and Good Pesach!

"I had problems with Spaghetti Numbers which i got see almost nothing"
"VGM Player dont worked but i guess that is my chinese everdrive fault."

For Spaghetti Numbers it may be the fault of your everdrive or maybe your exact master system model (e.g. it must be a original master system and not a near clone).

It is a original model SMS 1.
[img]

@Segarule I have attached a photo of Spaghetti numbers working on real hardware-as you can see the graphics look perfect on real hardware. The black line in the picture is the sega master system aerial and the white spot is the glare from the screen.[/img]

I have 2 SMS 1 models. 1 model is known as Master System II in Brazil with Alex Kidd. With this model your rom dont show the characters properly. So i changed to other model with Hang on/Safari Hunt now and when i tested your rom the game completely freeze/crashs. The others homebrews worked fine.

Hi Segarule, after thinking more about this more, it is because Brazil uses 60Hz (for master system) and the Spaghetti Numbers demo is designed for 50Hz master system-it not guaranteed to work on 60Hz master system.
Post Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:53 pm
@Segarule I have attached a photo of Spaghetti numbers working on real hardware-as you can see the graphics look perfect on real hardware. The black line in the picture is the sega master system aerial and the white spot is the glare from the screen.

If you test your game on Emulicious you will see that *sometimes* you're writing data to the VDP too fast, which can lead to wrong colors/VRAM corruption.
Also, the VDP register #6 is set to 0. This register works differently on SMS' VDP and SMS II's VDP, you should ensure that the lowest two bits are always set, so try setting the value to 3 instead.
Post Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:09 pm
@Segarule I made a second version of Spaghetti Numbers (using suggested code changes of sverx ) so you may want to try that and see if it works for you.
Post Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:32 am
@segarule

I sent you a private SMSpower message -can you kindly reply to it.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:59 am
Thanks Maxim for handling everything, I've been away this year and didn't have time to even post the traditional rom releases. I'll be trying the entries soon!

Our Competitions section also host indexes, which is another way to browse the entries:
https://www.smspower.org/Competitions/Coding-2024
https://www.smspower.org/Competitions/Music-2024
https://www.smspower.org/Competitions/Hacks-2024
Post Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:56 am
When can we start voting?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:57 am
I’ll add polls in the next few days, with voting for a couple of weeks.
Post Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:05 pm
@segarule
"The others homebrews worked fine."
So I think the newest version (version 1.2) of my other game ,Find the Wordy Gems, will work without a problem for you as also it works fine at 60Hz in an emulator. Maybe you will hear some random noise or a tone though -not a bug-no sound as it is WIP as stated on title screen. On 50hz real hardware master system there is no sound emitted.. Let me know if it doesn't work on your Brazilian 60Hz master system. By the way, Find the Wordy Gems works on 50Hz real hardware master system.
Post Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:58 pm
Sorry to intrude but I've released my look at the entries and prediction for winners.

The 2023 video somehow got nearly 30,000 views so hopefully this gets the entries equal exposure.

(A minor disclaimer, I used 27/3 versions of all games, as forum viewers will know there are bugs which are fixed since)
Post Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:43 pm
Another great video @yesterzine - have been very eagerly anticipating this, thanks for putting this together.
Post Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:38 am
Thanks Will, I added the update to "on your base" to the description.

Incidentally, reading out that name was the last thing recorded because I discovered in editing I'd managed to say "Face". As I'm entirely sure was your intention :D
Post Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:57 am
Yesterzine wrote
As I'm entirely sure was your intention :D

No comment.
Post Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:47 am
Yesterzine wrote
Sorry to intrude but I've released my look at the entries and prediction for winners.

very nice video, but, unfortunately, you did not take the latest version of SushiNights.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:17 am
He says in the video that it’s based on the March 27th versions of everything.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:18 am
willbritton wrote
Yesterzine wrote
As I'm entirely sure was your intention :D

No comment.

I keep thinking about the sequel “I’ll Land On Your Base (And Tell You I Love You) 2”.
Post Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:06 pm
I didn't notice any issues on my UK "Alex Kidd" SMS1 either. I can test it in a "Snail Maze" UK model if it'd help anyone.
Post Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:10 pm
toxa wrote
Yesterzine wrote

very nice video, but, unfortunately, you did not take the latest version of SushiNights.

Yeah, I work full time and it's a 35 minute video. The deadline for the competition felt fair at least as a compromise between evaluating the entries and getting out the video when voting is still possible.

I've noted that it's submission date versions in all communications and listed major changes, including those bug fixes in the description.

Should there be a physical version of Sushi I'll certainly be buying it to make another video though.
Post Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:18 am
I think it is nice that various folks still make new videos, websites and new games for the SMS. It helps keeps the SMS scene alive or interesting.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:49 pm
I've added polls to all of the entries' forum topics now. Please let me know if anything is broken! Polls close in 11.5 days from now.
Post Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:15 pm
Votes go up to 10 this year? :)
Post Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:00 pm
Last edited by mateusbond on Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
sverx wrote

Well, I'd say this year needed an extra grade. We have so many great entries that the first, second, third and even fourth places (or more?) will be just some fractions of points apart from each other.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:08 pm
sverx wrote

I hadn’t even noticed that I’ve been inconsistent in the scale over the years… the SQL script does 1 to 10, and was used in several past years.
Post Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:53 am
when is the deadline for voting please. I really should know but I've a memory like a sieve these days
Post Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:26 pm
Yesterzine wrote

The 2023 video somehow got nearly 30,000 views so hopefully this gets the entries equal exposure.

(A minor disclaimer, I used 27/3 versions of all games, as forum viewers will know there are bugs which are fixed since)

thanks for the review and good to know my game runs on real pal hardware, as i don't have acess to that to test. :)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:11 pm
Voting ends in about two hours! Vote now!
Post Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:46 am
Last edited by segarule on Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
The final results are here. Congrats to all participants. This year i would like give my "Laudate" for sverx. I am still upset why he dont give to us your great games anymore. But your devkit is a tool that made possible various wonderful games. Congrats to Maxim again in manage the competition and submitt a new entry. One day i hope a homebrew by turboxray. I also hope that eruiz continue with new projects but dont abandon the pinball engine. Who know he adapt pinball fantasies or devils crash for our console?
My score wil be -1 for Ichigo because dont submitted any of your fantastic games. LOL.
Post Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:03 pm
@segarule when can we expect an entry from you - next year maybe? ;)
Post Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:11 pm
willbritton wrote
@segarule when can we expect an entry from you - next year maybe? ;)

You forget about me and focus in next year when you will entry the PC port. hahahaha
Post Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:27 pm
segarule wrote
This year i would like give my "Laudate" for sverx.

sverx's devkit really changed the scene. It's impossible to overestimate what you have done, sverx. None of us will ever be able to thank you appropriately.
Post Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:22 pm
mateusbond wrote
sverx's devkit really changed the scene. It's impossible to overestimate what you have done, sverx. None of us will ever be able to thank you appropriately.

I agree with that
Post Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:27 pm
mateusbond wrote
segarule wrote

100% agree. I wouldn't be trying to make a game without it. I extend that thanks to everyone involved in making the tools included in the devkit too.
Post Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:33 am
Well done everyone, looking forward to seeing the results. It's been another really strong year for entries I feel.
Post Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:00 pm
mateusbond wrote
segarule wrote

agree 100%, i couldn't imagine being able to code an SMS before devkitSMS, and sverx is also very helpful answering our questions. :)
Post Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:04 pm
segarule wrote
This year i would like give my "Laudate" for sverx. I am still upset why he dont give to us your great games anymore. But your devkit is a tool that made possible various wonderful games.

Thank you guys for creating so many great games :D
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Yesterday at 9:40 pm
Voting is over, aggregated (and slightly filtered) results are now on the competition pages:

https://www.smspower.org/Competitions/Coding-2024

1st: Stygian Quest (Naarshakta)
2nd: Goblin Kart Rescue (raphnet)
3rd: Mai Nurse (lunoka)

https://www.smspower.org/Competitions/Music-2024

Incredibly close voting, I think it's really a 6-way tie!

1st: Battle Squadron (Kagesan)
2nd: Last Escape (chirinea)
3rd: Doki Doki Heartstopper (Tobikomi)

https://www.smspower.org/Competitions/Hacks-2024

1st: Barn 51 (PinkeyeFR)
2nd: Oh-No! More Lemmings (slogra)
3rd: Scourge the Hedgehog (PinkeyeFR)

As ever, congratulations to everyone who entered, because you are all winners. The only way to lose is to not enter! So start working on an entry for next year!
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Yesterday at 9:46 pm
A note on filtering: we always analyse results and look for suspicious voting patterns and to check on their impact on the scores and rankings. We rarely see anything too strange, but we excluded a few aberrant votes from the results, but this had no impact on the final rankings.

It also became clear that one of the coding entries broke the intention of the "made for the competition" rule so we exclude it from the official rankings, but have left the forum post and site page because it's still a fun game.
Post Posted: Yesterday at 10:20 pm
Congratulations once again to all. I was thinking that a kind of "Pirates" from Microprose would be great. A game to sail in 7 seas and explore the regions! Forza and come back Ricco next year. Andiamo, my friend!
Post Posted: Today at 8:34 am
Thanks Maxim for the final results, and congratulations to everyone that entered. Having a 0.9 points difference between the first SEVEN entries is another testament to how great this year was.
Thanks guys, you keep the SMS homebrew scene alive! ❤️
Post Posted: Today at 8:45 am
Congratulations everybody and Thank you all to make Stygian Quest a winner.
There is a lot of good entries.
Post Posted: Today at 9:23 am
Last edited by Kagesan on Today at 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Congratulations to all and to the winners in particular. This has been an incredibly strong year. The overall quality was just stunning.

Thank you for voting Battle Squadron to #1 in the music category, although I feel bad for winning with cover versions, as clearly I am standing on the shoulders of the giants who composed the tracks in the first place, and personally, I would rate any of the original compositions in the competition higher on creative merits alone. Still: Thank you all.

As promised, I’ll post the vgms of the remaining two tracks in the music section of the forum later.
EDIT: Here they are.
And now... a word about the Music entries
Post Posted: Today at 10:02 am
Since I haven't seen folks discuss it all that much outside the entries' forum posts, I just wanna give a shoutout to all the entrants in the Music Competition. As evident in the results, there wasn't a single weak entry (aside from mine, before y'all pointed it out!)

We've come a long way from there only being one or two entries in the dark days at the beginning of this decade. No matter how you ranked, all of you should be proud of yourselves for contributing to a grand tradition that was in legitimate danger of dying out just years ago (like the Art competition did, bring it back!).

I'm looking forward to doing better next year, see you all then!
Post Posted: Today at 4:46 pm
Congrats everybody, lots of nice things this year. As always thanks for your support, I'm glad you liked barn 51. I hope next year I'll be able to post something in the code section, for a change!
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!