Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Arcade Smash Hits (not trimmed)

Reply to topic
Arcade Smash Hits (not trimmed)
Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:29 pm
This is a post asking for help with trimming and looping. I have recorded every song and speech samples (including Widjee jibberish), but I have trouble at trimming and looping.

I have set Meka at 50 Hz before recording, but the recordings I have made seem to be quite faster than expected.

The music for Breakout (also used for title screen) seems problematic, since the beginning of the song doesn't repeat exactly onwards, but with a bass background. On Audacity, I have calculated that my recording starts at sample 39690, and it seems to loop/end at around 8709750. After that, the song starts again, but with the aforementioned bass line. What should I do? I can record a longest portion of the melody if anyone request it.

I have not tried to trim another song or sound, but compared with the Breakout melody, I think I will not have difficulties with them (or at least, that's what I hope!).

Thanks in advance!

----

Admin:

https://www.smspower.org/Music/ArcadeSmashHits-SMS

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:34 am
As per the ripping guide, make sure you set it to PAL as well as 50Hz else it will be too fast. You may have to re-rip everything.
Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:34 am
Wow, great to see you working on these! I've been wanting VGMs of these for a while but didn't see a way to record them, interested to know how you pulled it off.

Ron_Stard wrote
[...] the song starts again, but with the aforementioned bass line. What should I do?

The loops after the second one also include the bass, right? If that's the case, you can set the loop point to when the bass appears.
Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:15 am
Maxim wrote
As per the ripping guide, make sure you set it to PAL as well as 50Hz else it will be too fast. You may have to re-rip everything.

Thank you, I forgot to change to PAL instead of NTSC on the config file; I only changed the 50 Hz frameskip. I'll record everything again.

marklincadet wrote
Wow, great to see you working on these! I've been wanting VGMs of these for a while but didn't see a way to record them, interested to know how you pulled it off.

Ron_Stard wrote
[...] the song starts again, but with the aforementioned bass line. What should I do?

The loops after the second one also include the bass, right? If that's the case, you can set the loop point to when the bass appears.

For logging, I simply used Meka and the Pause Hack - it can be enabled on the config file. Then I converted all the stuff to WAV with VGMPlay64 (command line program) in order to get the samples to trim (each second of WAV equals 44100 samples) via Audacity and the visual waveforms.

I find easier to edit the WAV files than the VGM. If you are interested in all these sounds and tunes, and can't wait for the VGM, I can provide you the edited WAVs if you want them! =)

I also like the Arcade Smash Hits soundtrack. I think it has the best music composed for the SMS, along with Sonic saga, Ecco The Dolphin, Streets Of Rage II, Robocop Vs. Terminator, Lemmings and Pit-Fighter.
Post Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:11 am
Ron_Stard wrote
I find easier to edit the WAV files than the VGM. If you are interested in all these sounds and tunes, and can't wait for the VGM, I can provide you the edited WAVs if you want them! =)

The secret is refer to Audacity for estimated loop points, and then use vgm2txt to find the exact samples that won't result in the VGM breaking.

As much as I can't wait for the VGM, I don't want to be the only person working on them here! I'll be happy to guide you through putting together a VGM pack if you're up for it.
Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:33 pm
marklincadet wrote
Ron_Stard wrote

The secret is refer to Audacity for estimated loop points, and then use vgm2txt to find the exact samples that won't result in the VGM breaking.

As much as I can't wait for the VGM, I don't want to be the only person working on them here! I'll be happy to guide you through putting together a VGM pack if you're up for it.

Thank you for your help! Send me a PM and let's rip it once and for all!
[VGM pack] Arcade Smash Hits
Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:51 pm
It is now trimmed! I worked with Ron_Stard to get nicely trimmed VGMs of the songs, then put it together into a pack that is now on the site! Thanks Ron for getting the ball rolling on putting this rather slept-on soundtrack out there.

https://www.smspower.org/Music/ArcadeSmashHits-SMS
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!