Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Tetris on the SMS

Reply to topic
Tetris on the SMS
Post Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:35 pm
I realize this game was officially unreleased and is quite rare, but I was wondering if the rom has ever been released.

https://game-collecting.fandom.com/wiki/Tetris_(Master_System)

[img]https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/game-collecting/images/d/d1/TetrisSegaMasterSystem.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20190829085642[/img]

I've been searching desperately for the last year or two for a single decent version of Tetris for the Master System and I've had no luck so far. I've grabbed every official rom, Korean bootleg, and MSX conversion I can get my hands on, and I still haven't found a single decent version of Tetris for the Master System. It strikes me as blatantly unfair that the NES got at least two decent releases of Tetris between the well-known version and the rarer Tengen version, yet there doesn't seem to be a single decent version on the technically superior Sega Master System.

At this point, I'm not even looking for a Master System version that outshines the NES versions. I'd be satisfied with one that is merely competent. I don't care if it has SG-1000 graphics as long as it has the standard controls of clockwise rotation, counter-clockwise rotation, and the ability to move the pieces downward without instantly dropping the pieces. If I could get all that and it has some sort of music, as opposed to complete silence, I'd be very happy.

If anyone has any information, or tips about a decent rom I might have missed, anything is appreciated.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:45 pm
The King of the Mods wrote
I realize this game was officially unreleased and is quite rare, but I was wondering if the rom has ever been released.

That wiki link is wrong, it is referring to the Megadrive version.
There's no official SMS version afaik, even unreleased.
Post Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:51 pm
At this point, I'm not even looking for a Master System version that outshines the NES versions. I'd be satisfied with one that is merely competent. I don't care if it has SG-1000 graphics as long as it has the standard controls of clockwise rotation, counter-clockwise rotation, and the ability to move the pieces downward without instantly dropping the pieces. If I could get all that and it has some sort of music, as opposed to complete silence, I'd be very happy.

Not sure if this has everything you'd want, but did you check bloki?
Post Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:09 pm
Last edited by The King of the Mods on Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
sverx wrote

Not sure if this has everything you'd want, but did you check bloki?

Honestly, this is the best version I've found so far. The controls are right, and it's got a decent music selection. Thanks!

Darn shame there's no pause function.
Post Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:43 pm
Bock wrote

That wiki link is wrong, it is referring to the Megadrive version.
There's no official SMS version afaik, even unreleased.

Honestly, I've looked at enough Japanese games by now that I should have caught that. The big "MD"s on the case spines are obvious. Perhaps I was blinded by my desire for a decent Master System version of Tetris.
Post Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:02 pm

[img]https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/game-collecting/images/d/d1/TetrisSegaMasterSystem.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20190829085642[/img]

I've been searching desperately for the last year or two for a single decent version of Tetris for the Master System and I've had no luck so far. I've grabbed every official rom, Korean bootleg, and MSX conversion I can get my hands on, and I still haven't found a single decent version of Tetris for the Master System. It strikes me as blatantly unfair that the NES got at least two decent releases of Tetris between the well-known version and the rarer Tengen version, yet there doesn't seem to be a single decent version on the technically superior Sega Master System.

If anyone has any information, or tips about a decent rom I might have missed, anything is appreciated.

I thought somewhere on social media Sega had once posted to confirm what we could've already suspect, that Sega didn't have the proper licensing to release the 1989 Mega Drive port (probably noticed in response to the Tengen lawsuit, I think the proper version credits Tengen even). Thus, if it ever made it to retail (that I'm not sure about), it was pulled extremely fast, or if it is like the PS1 Spiderman 2 (pre-9/11 version) or NBA Elite 11 which got recalled immediately after they were shipped so the remaining copies were smuggled out of the route to destruction.
Post Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:01 pm
The closest you'll get to something official is the System E arcade port. That's based on the Master System hardware, but you'd have to hack the heck out of the ROM to get it running on the home console.
Post Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:27 am
From Sega Retro:

'Sega planned to release their Mega Drive version of Tetris on 15 April 1989[6], but they suddenly cancelled shipments of the title[7] after they learned the Mega Drive "rights" they acquired were bogus. It is thought that fewer than 10 cartridges were produced, and some of the copies that survived were sold in auctions for up to US$16,000 (one signed copy was infamously sold for US$1,000,000,000). In an interview with Hiroyuki Miyazaki about the Mega Drive Mini, Miyazaki stated that he would have been fired if he had known what happened to the unreleased copies.[8]

While Sega's arcade versions of Tetris could actually be legitimatized, their Mega Drive version could not - a second version of Elorg and Andromeda's computer contract (signed on 23 February 1989) had a definition of a computer added to it, and the Mega Drive version did not fit the new definition. In addition to the amended contract, a seperate contract between Elorg and Ni****do granted the latter all console rights. Despite all this, Sega was able to port the Mega Drive version over to their arcade-based Mega-Tech hardware.'

I don't think that's entirely accurate though, a signed copy was listed for sale at a million dollars but I don't think it actually sold for that, if at all.

It's my holy grail of Mega Drive collecting but as I'll never realistically get a copy I settled for a very good repro. It's a pretty crap version of Tetris anyway to be honest.
Post Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:41 am
Flygon wrote
The closest you'll get to something official is the System E arcade port. That's based on the Master System hardware, but you'd have to hack the heck out of the ROM to get it running on the home console.

That's a bit outside my skillset, but that's sure good to know. At least the possibility exists.
Post Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:45 am
Armixer did what I thought was an excellent effort for the coding competition a couple of years back, although it was targeting the Game Gear. It's essentially as straight a conversion of the Game Boy version that I can imagine, plays well IMO.

Presumably it wouldn't be too hard to get it working on the SMS.
Post Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:02 pm
segasonic wrote
It is thought that fewer than 10 cartridges were produced, and some of the copies that survived were sold in auctions for up to US$16,000 (one signed copy was infamously sold for US$1,000,000,000).

I was there in person when Alexey Patjinov signed that Megadrive Tetris game :-D
Post Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:28 pm
willbritton wrote
It's essentially as straight a conversion of the Game Boy version that I can imagine
It's not. For one, the UI also takes a lot of inspiration from Columns, and besides, the RNG is painful. Still, it's a nice version.
Post Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:40 pm
Tom wrote
willbritton wrote
It's essentially as straight a conversion of the Game Boy version that I can imagine
It's not.

With respect, I'm not sure you appreciate quite how limited my imagination is...
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:59 pm
The RNG is painful on both the Game Boy and Game Gear versions. Just differently painful.
Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:46 pm
I thought we had an entry for the coding comp last year or the year before for an SMS conversion or was that the same one from Armixer?
Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:12 pm
Hi there,

My homebrew version of the game counts more as a remake, since I did not use any disassembly of the game. But I appreciate the shout out nonetheless ! :)

Regarding the different behaviour, a lot of it was based on observing the original game's behaviour and sometimes tweaking it to my taste. I don't exactly plan on this being the ultimate version of the game either. I'll leave that to whoever fancies doing a port of a disassembly of the original! :P

8BitBoy, you're right, there was another version of the game made by under4mhz (although not during a competition): https://under4mhz.itch.io/bloktris
It targets a host of other 8 bit computers as well...
Post Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:11 pm
Thanks buddy, I know I'd seen something. Thanks for including the link
Oli...

armixer24 wrote
Hi there,

My homebrew version of the game counts more as a remake, since I did not use any disassembly of the game. But I appreciate the shout out nonetheless ! :)

Regarding the different behaviour, a lot of it was based on observing the original game's behaviour and sometimes tweaking it to my taste. I don't exactly plan on this being the ultimate version of the game either. I'll leave that to whoever fancies doing a port of a disassembly of the original! :P

8BitBoy, you're right, there was another version of the game made by under4mhz (although not during a competition): https://under4mhz.itch.io/bloktris
It targets a host of other 8 bit computers as well...
Post Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:52 am

Well you might of already tried this one, but FA Tetris is a pretty cool version of Tetris. It has a lot of customizability with speed, level, difficulty, a new scroll mode, and even the ability to change the pieces from color to no color. Sadly, that's all you can change. But for a unlicensed Korean version of Tetris, it has some real effort put into it. Like there's a "How to play" screen, more than one background, credits, and hell even a high score board! Pretty impressive for a MSX/SG-1000 game made by two people.
8469b492_m.png (22.8 KB)
8469b492_m.png

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!