Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Little secret in Alex Kidd I never noticed before

Reply to topic
Little secret in Alex Kidd I never noticed before
Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:23 pm
I was messing around in the wonderful KiddEd and was stunned when I came across a little secret I'd never spotted in all my years of playing. In the bonus level, you can repeatedly punch a specific part of the air and turn a bunch of rocks into money boxes. Lovely to discover that this game still has a few tricks up its sleeve after all this time.
alexkiddsecret.png (42.07 KB)
alexkiddsecret.png

Post Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:35 pm
I have now gone through the whole game in the editor looking for invisible block changers. Most I knew about because they're telegraphed by hitting a pink box or similar, but there were a couple in Janken's castle that I hadn't managed to stumble across.

There's also an intriguing wall in the bottom left corner which is setup to be 'disappeared' but there's no special block to do it on that screen. If you add one in with the editor you can access an unused screen (which is just a copy of another screen). Of course, you could also just remove the wall in the editor to achieve the same thing but it does at least suggest there were plans for that particular area at some point.
Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:09 am
Another dumb thing you can do. If you scroll some of the rocks in that secret off the screen, you can transform different rocks into coins instead.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:51 am
Pretty interesting!
Post Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:29 am
Hillbert wrote
Another dumb thing you can do. If you scroll some of the rocks in that secret off the screen, you can transform different rocks into coins instead.

Haha I remember both of these secrets from back in the day. I didn't know about the hidden walls in Jankens Castle tho.

I also remember you can end up in a room submersed in water with narrow passages with spikes to swim through if you don't have a cane of flight handy. It looks impossible but to swim through but some of the spikes don't hurt AK.
Post Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:07 am
I hated that room! Never ever forget the cane to take the shortcut ladder. I now know that you can cheese it in that if you float up to the underside of the spikes, they don't hurt you. If you attempt to pass through them horizontally (or from above of course), you die instantly.
Post Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:01 am
asynchronous wrote
I also remember you can end up in a room submersed in water with narrow passages with spikes to swim through if you don't have a cane of flight handy. It looks impossible but to swim through but some of the spikes don't hurt AK.

AFAIK it's not that some spikes don't hurt, it's that you let yourself float "up" it doesn't hurt (which is not the case it you "swim" up), in which case it's very easy (but the regular way is not impossible though)...
Post Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:02 am
Hillbert wrote
I hated that room! Never ever forget the cane to take the shortcut ladder. I now know that you can cheese it in that if you float up to the underside of the spikes, they don't hurt you. If you attempt to pass through them horizontally (or from above of course), you die instantly.

Oh you pointed it out. Yes. Never press "up" and you're good.
Post Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:46 pm
Alex Kidd has so many hidden content and bugs, I was obsessed by them when I was a kid.

I documented all that I could find in the links below, they are in Portuguese but there are plenty of screenshots and videos that the language doesn't matter:

https://sega-brasil.com.br/site/category/segredos/
https://sega-brasil.com.br/site/category/segredos/page/2/
Post Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:41 pm
That's an impressive list, I knew about using the cane to cheese the final boss and the castle sequence break thanks to the tas on tasvideos (although that uses a well timed pause rather than the cane to do it), but I didn't know about those crashes. Alot of them seem to be caused by the screen wrapping handling interacting with sprites though it's also quite clear it never occured to the testers that people would do things like use the cane underwater! Those pesky players always ruining everything :-D
Post Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:08 am
I've been playing Alex Kidd since it came out and never knew about this trick. Thank you for posting.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!