Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Converting a Master System Super Compact to NTSC

Reply to topic
Converting a Master System Super Compact to NTSC
Post Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:00 am
I recently got in an AV modded Super Compact from Brazil, which gave me an easy opportunity to also convert it into a true NTSC system. Doing so is fairly easy and just involves a couple of steps:

1: Change out the crystal with one rated at 10.7386 MHz. I had one salvaged from a broken model 1 SMS but you can find these on Mouser or Digi-Key too.

2: Switch the video encoder from PAL to NTSC mode. Thankfully, TecToy made this very easy by having a couple of jumpers on the board which connect pin 7 of the encoder to either ground (PAL) or 5V (NTSC). Simply cut the small trace connecting the pads of JP7, solder the pads of JP6 together, and that's all!
smssupercompactjumpers.jpg (913.98 KB)
Super Compact video encoder mode jumpers
smssupercompactjumpers.jpg

Post Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:55 am
ApolloBoy wrote
I recently got in an AV modded Super Compact from Brazil, which gave me an easy opportunity to also convert it into a true NTSC system. Doing so is fairly easy and just involves a couple of steps:

1: Change out the crystal with one rated at 10.7386 MHz. I had one salvaged from a broken model 1 SMS but you can find these on Mouser or Digi-Key too.

2: Switch the video encoder from PAL to NTSC mode. Thankfully, TecToy made this very easy by having a couple of jumpers on the board which connect pin 7 of the encoder to either ground (PAL) or 5V (NTSC). Simply cut the small trace connecting the pads of JP7, solder the pads of JP6 together, and that's all!

Nice! Consider that if you use a new built crystal (Mouser e.g.), you need to check which capacitors it uses and replace those as well. The new ones usually uses 18pf caps instead of the old 33pf. Good rule is to use an oscilloscope to double check the clock speed and, adding a vari-caps, you can adjust it.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!