Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - [WIP] Stygian Quest

Reply to topic
[WIP] Stygian Quest
Post Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:49 pm
Last edited by Naarshakta on Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hello everybody,

Once upon a time some random dev wanted to make a game for his favorite childhood console...
Luckily there was another guy named svrex that make an awesome tool named devkitSMS :)

I never posted about on my game on this forum but here it comes.

This is StygianQuest, You can call it a PuzzleGame but disguised as an RPG.

"The quest for salvation is about to begin. Dive into the deep dark dungeon of the styx and try to reveal all the secrets."

The main core of the game is almost finished ( around 95% )
There will be a total of 10 chapters of 10 boards
For now it is translated into English and French.

Check some of my youtube videos if you want to see some gameplay :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGbDQrCgc2E

For thoses who want to try the game you can download the latest release here :
https://www.danara.fr/wp-content/uploads/2024/02/StygianQuest-006.zip

Feel free to play and comment.
Every feedback is welcome !

Thank you all
Screen0.png (13.98 KB)
Screen0.png
Screen3.png (15.01 KB)
Screen3.png
Screen4.png (17.36 KB)
Screen4.png

Post Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:35 pm
Cool! Nice to see so many RPGs coming to the SMS at the same time.
Post Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:39 am
It looks great, congrats!
Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 2:22 pm
Looking good! This will obviously be a high quality addition to our library. The graphics are awesome, palette is perfect. Gameplay is great, though maybe a bit too easy at the start. So far I played until just before the first boss.

Some suggestions:

Reset button doesn't work. Kind of a pain to power the system off and back on. On the same subject, since the game doesn't really need a pause button, pause could be used to turn bgm off and on, if the final release features music.

Sometimes button 1 advances dialogue and button 2 does nothing, sometimes 1 does nothing and 2 advances dialogue. In my opinion both buttons should always work for advancing dialogue.

Sometimes you end up playing a game of where's waldo to find your character after climbing stairs. Maybe have the player sprite flash/flicker for a couple seconds.

If possible, an intermediate step to the background animations would be nice.
Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:19 pm
I've seen Revo play this game through its development. Great concept and gameplay. It gets better with every iteration. Great job!
Post Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:20 am
badnest wrote
Reset button doesn't work. Kind of a pain to power the system off and back on. On the same subject, since the game doesn't really need a pause button, pause could be used to turn bgm off and on, if the final release features music.

In fact, there will be a settings panel option to turn on/off BGM and SFX. I don't know why the reset button don't work (?) I will look into it.

badnest wrote
Sometimes button 1 advances dialogue and button 2 does nothing, sometimes 1 does nothing and 2 advances dialogue. In my opinion both buttons should always work for advancing dialogue.

Yes you are right, I never really paid attention but It would be better to have only one button.

badnest wrote
Sometimes you end up playing a game of where's waldo to find your character after climbing stairs. Maybe have the player sprite flash/flicker for a couple seconds.

YES ! I'm aware of this problem, and I'm working on it.

badnest wrote
If possible, an intermediate step to the background animations would be nice.

Could be nice of course, but this is almost impossible due to code architecture. And the main reason : I love it like that, I want it to have an old school look and feel. 2 frame animation is what I want.

badnest wrote
Looking good! This will obviously be a high quality addition to our library. The graphics are awesome, palette is perfect. Gameplay is great, though maybe a bit too easy at the start. So far I played until just before the first boss.

Thank you for all your suggestions ! :)
PS : Too easy at the start is great, I have more concerne about too hard at the end :s
Post Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:29 am
xfixium wrote
I've seen Revo play this game through its development. Great concept and gameplay. It gets better with every iteration. Great job!

Thanks a lot ^^
Post Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 1:34 pm
Naarshakta wrote

In fact, there will be a settings panel option to turn on/off BGM and SFX. I don't know why the reset button don't work (?) I will look into it.

Yeah, my suggestion for the pause button was just so music could be turned off in the middle of the gameplay to answer the phone or something (or if the player gets tired of the music and wants some silence, without returning to the title screen).

For reset, you need to test bit 4 of input port 1 and reset accordingly, since in the SMS reset is treated as a controller button.

Looking forward to this game, good luck!
Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 12:43 am
The artwork for this is beautiful, lotta detail to it. Gameplay looks fun too, sort of reminds me of Chip's Challenge in some ways and I really loved playing that game back when I was a kid.

Looking forward to seeing it finished, would like to add it to my FC3000 retro handheld. Any plans for FM music?
Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:31 am
great work so far! :)

Regarding the reset button, it's just a regular button - and it's not even present on the SMS II...

But you can read that just like any other button, for instance with

if (SMS_getKeysStatus() & RESET_KEY)

and do something when pressed - for instance get back to the start of the level?

just remember not to use it for anything important, as said it's there only on the 'first revision' SMS
Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 1:43 pm
sverx wrote

if (SMS_getKeysStatus() & RESET_KEY)

Ok ! I don't know what I will do but for now I will make it a real reset button :p
Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 1:46 pm
kaportza wrote
The artwork for this is beautiful, lotta detail to it. Gameplay looks fun too, sort of reminds me of Chip's Challenge in some ways and I really loved playing that game back when I was a kid.

Thank you !
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!